Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2018, 02:26 PM   #1

Impossibly Low Mileage Claim?

We are taking a serious look at buying a 1991 International 3700. It's advertised as having only 33,000 miles on the odometer! Is there a way to be certain mileage is legit? Seems nearly impossible for a vehicle from 1991. Before I ask for an explanation (and possibly offend) the seller, I thought I'd check with the experts. Thanks for your feedback!

pborowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 02:50 PM   #2
Bus Nut

If the owner is offended if you ask why a 1991 bus has only 33,0000 miles, then they're hiding something.

A number THAT low raises a lot of questions - was it sitting, was the engine/dashboard rebuilt/replaced? I wouldn't exactly call it a problem if the dashboard/engine WAS replaced 30,000 miles ago, but I'd still want to know.

If the owner legitimately doesn't understand why you'd ask, then I'd be leery that know know anything about what they're selling.

If it walks like a duck, talk likes a duck, but the owner is selling it like a rabbit, it's only fair to ask

Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:18 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Was this a school bus? Maintenance records would reveal mileage if different than stated. I never seen one class of vehicles that have had there speedometers replaced at one time or another, I think 90% of the used buses I look at have had the speedo replaced and true mileage is unknown. 1200 miles a year is hard to believe.
Says he bought it with 11K, ask him when he bought it, if he says 1992 I'll believe his claim, maybe.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:44 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
His explanation on the mileage makes sense and could be believable, but it was a "As I understand it" explanation. You decide if the price is right for what you are getting. It started as a firefighter transport vehicle in Denali Park. Then it got sold to a company that used it as a back up to their primary bus.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:51 PM   #5
Bus Nut

I mean, that sounds plausible to me. . .

If it didn't roam too far in Denali, that's not going to add much for mileage, the it probably sat around more as a spare.

It's a plausible enough explanation that if the rest of it looks good, I'd go for it.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:18 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Should have an engine hour meter on it
Look at that for true condition of the engine
Seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
milage, odometer