Old 07-15-2011, 08:41 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: In case of Death...

Just got back from Albuquerque doctors. Everything is going well. One of David meds was cut in half and his BP is 140 over 74. It's never been this low since I've known him. David said it's never been that low since he has been having his BP taken. So apparently the meds are working pretty well. And he hasn't has a cigarette since the Friday before Mother's Day (when he went into the hospital). So things are going well in the health dept. Maybe things will pickup on the money side.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:55 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Goshen
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 25
Send a message via AIM to Stuff Send a message via MSN to Stuff

good to hear!

maybe it will keep him off the sticks now that he has been without long enough.

My Youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/thestuffz
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:13 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66

Rich: my condolences for Hannah. I do not have kids and cannot imagine what it must be like for you.

Lorna: I'm glad to hear that David is doing better and hope his recovery continues. Earlier this year, my girlfriend had a quad-bypass without which she would have died. Now it's my turn for scary stuff of the cardiovascular kind. Your posts re: wills and organ donation are timely. Just before the Fourth of July I experienced a transient ischemic attack (commonly referred to as a TIA or "mini stroke"). Unlike regular strokes, TIAs often leave no permanent brain damage or disability, which was my case. But they are often harbingers of more serious events.

I may have Marfan's syndrome, a connective-tissue disorder. My gf called my attention to it because I'm tall, have extra-long arms and legs and limber joints. Reading about this syndrome's warning signs has been one "oh crap" moment after another: discovering that I have enough "obvious" signs that only a series of special (read: expensive) tests can rule it out. The worst effect of Marfan's is that the weak connective tissue leads to a propensity for aortic dissection or aneurysms. In some persons, sudden death the first symptom of aortic problems. Others experience TIAs and occasional stabbing and burning pain in the chest and/or upper back interspersed with mild discomfort or feeling of pressure.

Damn...I wish the worst effect of Marfan's was a tendency to bang one's head against the ceiling of a standard-height school bus.

I'm going to have an echocardiogram to check for the presence of a dissection, which would require going into my chest to repair it. Having neither job nor health insurance, I sure hope I don't end up in that situation: face expensive surgery or kick the bucket.

But I'm not ready to go...I don't have my skoolie yet, to say nothing about spending years enjoying it!

I haven't seriously considered donating my body to medical education, but I'll check out that website. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:44 PM   #14
Bus Geek

I like the "first sympton is sudden death" thing. Sounds sort of like those lawyer commercials " If you or a loved one have experienced death..." To which we always say "If I experienced death just how do I contact you... seance?" We all talk to the TV a lot.

Quote:
Current vehicles:
1976 Winnebago Minnie Winnie class C Dodge 360, less than 40k miles
Hmmm.... one year older than my 1977 Midas Mini Class C and 53K miles less... you need to get that thing out more!
Old 07-21-2011, 09:37 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 78 Passenger

I have a friend who has Marfan's. He had open heart surgery around 30 years old. On the positive side, he is doing well and his yearly heart screenings have all been positive. He has resigned himself to eventually needing his pump serviced again, but happy that he keeps getting good news.
Hope things go well for you.

"What's the matter Col Sanders? Chicken?" -Dark Helmet

lu·di·crous [loo-di-kruhs]
adjective
causing laughter because of absurdity; provoking or deserving derision; ridiculous; laughable

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11840
TheRainbowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:20 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Hmmm.... one year older than my 1977 Midas Mini Class C and 53K miles less... you need to get that thing out more!
You said it...and how! My gf and I want to go in it to Skunk Fest in North Ridgeville, Ohio, this September. Besides, we all know that travel is good for body and spirit!

Incidentally, my parents' first RV was a 19-foot 1972 Midas Mini.

As for those lawyer commercials, I hope on behalf of everyone who's needed a retrofit aorta that those things never need recalling. I know it's already happened with replacement heart valves. Yikes!
Old 07-31-2011, 05:25 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Best wishes to David, Lorna.

Take this for whatever it's worth: my great-aunt had a heart attacks (actually, 2 in 4 hours) when she was 58. She survived, but her doctor told her she would be lucky to live a year. Her mother insisted the doctor was crazy...and that she needed to drink a bit of wine with dinner. After that day, she drank two (small) glasses of red wine every night with her dinner and also took an aspirin every night before bed.

She died in her sleep, age 91. Her mother lived to be 102.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:24 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunky Bus
I'm going to have an echocardiogram to check for the presence of a dissection, which would require going into my chest to repair it. Having neither job nor health insurance, I sure hope I don't end up in that situation: face expensive surgery or kick the bucket.
Update: had an echocardiogram today and it ruled out aorta problems. Whew!

The alternative explanation for the aches and pains is that they are skeletal in origin. I guess my ribcage is to other people's ribcages like a stix-n-staples RV body is to a bus frame.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:22 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunky Bus
... I guess my ribcage is to other people's ribcages like a stix-n-staples RV body is to a bus frame.

Realistically... try chiropractic. In particular try one that uses nutrition in addition to chiropractic techniques. Everything is related.