Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2015, 02:24 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: carpenter
Chassis: international
Engine: 466dt
Rated Cap: 59
Injecting foam

If I put the OSB up like this, how easy would it be to inject foam insulation between it and the windows and how waterproof would that foam likely be?
Attached Thumbnails
uploadfromtaptalk1424636492109.jpg  

Zephod_beeblebrox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:30 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
The foam is destroyed by sunlight. You would need to black out the windows first. Further, there is a not insignificant amount of pressure from the expanding foam that would bow out the plywood, I would imagine. Also, you are going to want to use two part foam, if you hadn't realized already, as the spray can stuff isn't very good for large areas. As for waterproof? I couldn't say. I would expect nooks and crannies to not get properly filled, though, probably leading to rust issues.
Timelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:21 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
As mentioned the foam will fall apart from sunlight. A simple coat of UV stable latex paint will stop this.

The two part closed cell foam will not absorb water, but will leak at the point where it touches the metal if not sealed on the out side.

I would pull the window, skin the exterior, and do the foam as you show. Just put a sheet of plastic in front of the OSB.

The expanding two part pour foams do push hard outward, and you do need to support the glass if that's what you chose to do.

I will be using two part pour foam to build window and windshield inserts for their insinuative property's. If I'm in a extremely hot or cold climate, I can use the custom molded inserts to block the heat cold in most my windows.

The inserts will do the same as a insulated curtain, but much much better.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:30 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: carpenter
Chassis: international
Engine: 466dt
Rated Cap: 59
I'm planning to paint the windows black on the inside then to glue plastic on the inside of the glass. As far as the foam goes, I'll have plenty pressure relief holes and will just trim off the foam that comes through.
Zephod_beeblebrox2 is offline   Reply With Quote