Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2017, 01:26 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Injuries

Hi guys. So I know each and every one of us converting our bus have endured injuries along the way. Bumps and bruises from hammers or cuts from metal and all. My question is what is the worst injury you have gotten?

I am as you can assume from my name a complete jinx and klutz like no other. So I have had all those injuries. It all began the moment I first stepped into my bus when buying it. My friend and I rode down to DC on his motorcycle to get it then we pulled 2 seats out (me under the bus him inside) in order to then load his motorcycle into the bus. At one point the guy helping us let go of the back of the bike and I got pinned between the motorcycle and the windshield and ended up with a bruised pelvis. I was hoping that would be the worst... I was wrong...

Last Wednesday (the day before we were supposed to leave on our skoolie to go to Salem to visit family for a week), I was on the roof of the bus and was about to put new sealant in the seams as the old (although it was not leaking) had cracks in it so I wanted to make it better. I realized that I left my tool to pop the seal on the tube on the ground and needed to get back off of the roof to get it. As I walked towards the ladder I thought 5o myself, ' one of these days I will fall getting on this dumbass convertible ladder's. As I finished that thought, I putting my foot on the ladder and reached out to grab it with my hand and that is when the ladder fell away from the bus. 1 foot on the ladder one foot on the bus... I went straight down. And given the only person home was my oldest kid who had gone to sleep because he worked a shift at work from 3am-11am I ended up paying in the driveway screaming my head off for help. I couldn't move my right leg. I hit my shoulder my head and my foot had bent so that the outside of my ankle touched the outside of my knee... It was bad.

I have always gotten mad at kids for one thing in particular. I taught my kids to never scream when playing unless someone is trying to kidnap you or murder you... It was that which caused all the people in our neighborhood to ignore my calls for help, (No not because I ever said anything to them or their kids) because they are so used to hearing kids scream like they are being killed by an axe murderer, they don't pay any attention to someone who is actually screaming for help. My oldest's bedroom is in the 3rd floor attic where you can't hear a damn thing other than the air-conditioner which was running. So for 15 minutes I laid there screaming "SOMEONE ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE HELP!!!" Luckily a friend called and my out of reach phone has voice activated commands so I told it you answer the call so I told my friend I was in the driveway and very hurt. I said I needed help. They hung up and called my friend from high school who was about to drive past on his way to get his kids from school. ...

Long story short a few hours later I was in surgery having my ankle set. They could only set the bones not fix them then cause it was swollen to the size of a basketball. So this Monday (4 days ago) I under went another surgery. They had to put 2 screws to hold the bottom of my fibula to the rest of it. They put another screw into the place where the tibula and fibula are supposed to be close together. Then the went in higher from the other side of my leg to put a rod into the center of my fibula and a plate with 6 screws to could that bone together. They were only expecting to put 3 screws in in total but once they opened my leg up found it was much worse than expected. I have and will post the pics and x-rays I have but I do not have any x-rays of it post-op yet. Friday I go back to get the Staples removed and a permanent cast instead of the splint. They gave me a splint because of swelling and wond care. Luckily my other injuries were just bad bruising and a chunk of skin from my thumb ripped off which wasn't that bad. Oh and a concussion. But I normally hit my head at least 3 times a day so no big deal there. The whiplash from the fall was the worst pain aside from my leg being snapped. But like I said, I am a big klutz and jinxed. So Salem will be delayed till either the Thanksgiving or Xmas holiday season... To add insult to injury, my husband lost his job because he left 15 minutes early on the day I fell and was rushed into the emergency room in the trauma ward. What the **** man! Who punishes their employee for leaving 15 minutes early when their spouse has been in a serious accident?!?!?! I'll tell you who Walmart. We are going to file a lawsuit against them for that. Considering he was a model employee and his boss said "it's ok, I'll take care of it you just go" it is total bullshit.

Here is a link to see how it looks when your foot is dislocated and not attached to your tibula and fibula anymore...https://youtu.be/jzdndNSOyPs

Luck for me I have MS and the only sensation I ever have in my legs is when bones are broken unfortunately there are bones that are broken. Soft tissues damage isn't going to bug me though...

So anyone else have interesting skoolie injury stories to share???
Attached Thumbnails
20171026_210928.jpg   20171026_211000.jpg   20171031_164333_1509576409815.jpg   20171031_164326_1509576411056.jpg   20171029_121524.jpg  

20171031_164338_1509576409049.jpg  

Old 11-02-2017, 01:45 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
I'm an auto tech. The only time I hurt myself is working on my own vehicles. Last time was last spring when I was prying something with a 2-foot prybar, pushing as hard as I could, when it slipped and my middle finger's nail hit a very solid corner of the truck frame. It was black. Pain only for the hour, tender only for the day. Amazing. The black bruise finally grew out.

Seems like every time I do something like fall off a roof, I am thinking "O.K. don't fall off the roof," or "I'm going to fall". The times I think "I got this" I am fine. Same danger level. Different subconscious attitude. Amazingly, your brain believes what you think! Your body is a reflection of your subconscious image of yourself, which is in a feedback loop of reality and perception. You should change your name. Many self-hypnosis books are available. Change your attitude of your self and your body is my suggestion.

ALOHA!
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:29 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
A member on here had an explosion and got burned real bad. I can't remember his name.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:59 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled01 View Post
A member on here had an explosion and got burned real bad. I can't remember his name.
Damn that sucks!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2017, 03:00 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
I'm an auto tech. The only time I hurt myself is working on my own vehicles. Last time was last spring when I was prying something with a 2-foot prybar, pushing as hard as I could, when it slipped and my middle finger's nail hit a very solid corner of the truck frame. It was black. Pain only for the hour, tender only for the day. Amazing. The black bruise finally grew out.

Seems like every time I do something like fall off a roof, I am thinking "O.K. don't fall off the roof," or "I'm going to fall". The times I think "I got this" I am fine. Same danger level. Different subconscious attitude. Amazingly, your brain believes what you think! Your body is a reflection of your subconscious image of yourself, which is in a feedback loop of reality and perception. You should change your name. Many self-hypnosis books are available. Change your attitude of your self and your body is my suggestion.

ALOHA!
Yeah I get hurt in my car stuff and motorcycle stuff too. I all a total jinx.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2017, 03:15 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I am constantly ripping up my skin (which is getting old and like wet newspaper) but nothing serious so far. But I do HATE bleeding all over new parts & paint!

I raced motorcycles for many years and managed to survive uncountable crashes from 2 mph to about 180 with minimal effects. At least till I got older. I used to brag that I had never broken a bone in all those years, but was told differently by a few doctors after I hit 55 and the aches and pains started.

Turns out I had broken bones (and multiple vertebrae) all over the place including a big chunk of my hip socket that had broken off and is now floating somewhere down in the back of my thigh.

Amazing really to think back on how quickly we healed when we were younger. I miss that part of youth but not much else.

Be sure to attend the next "Safety Meeting".
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 03:27 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynxie View Post

I am as you can assume from my name a complete jinx and klutz like no other. So I have had all those injuries. It all began the moment I first stepped into my bus when buying it. My friend and I rode down to DC on his motorcycle to get it then we pulled 2 seats out (me under the bus him inside) in order to then load his motorcycle into the bus. At one point the guy helping us let go of the back of the bike and I got pinned between the motorcycle and the windshield and ended up with a bruised pelvis. I was hoping that would be the worst... I was wrong...

How...ugh....well...erhh...

okay I gotta ask what kind of motorcycle can fit through the front door, get turned and then assault you against the dash

And I am not talking about CB and his scooters

My worst was probably catching myself on fire when welding, mmmm that doesnt smell like grass burning
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:29 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
When I was working in a sheet metal factory, I was running the 27' rolling mill. I was currently making an order of 1 1/4" corrugated, when I missed the grab. The metal didn't and almost took my thumb off. 14 stitches later....
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 05:14 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil View Post

How...ugh....well...erhh...

okay I gotta ask what kind of motorcycle can fit through the front door, get turned and then assault you against the dash

And I am not talking about CB and his scooters

My worst was probably catching myself on fire when welding, mmmm that doesnt smell like grass burning
It is a 1994 Honda Magnum we had to learn from one side to the other to get the handlebars through. And a guy that was putting counter top in next door came running over when he saw I was pinned. But we get it in and strapped it down with about 8 ratcheting straps.
Attached Thumbnails
20170901_122051.jpg   20170901_122034.jpg   20170901_122912.jpg   20170904_172037.jpg   20170901_122847.jpg  

Old 11-02-2017, 06:20 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
SIDEWAYS pix suck!
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:42 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
I broke a toe working on Sandi's bus.
I've cut and bruised myself all over working on buses.
Nothing as bad as your injury. Wishing you a speedy recovery and happy times ahead with your bus!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:11 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I broke a toe working on Sandi's bus.
I've cut and bruised myself all over working on buses.
Nothing as bad as your injury. Wishing you a speedy recovery and happy times ahead with your bus!

The fact you finished putting the seat in is a testament to the awesome person you are. I am still so sorry that happened [emoji17]❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:14 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderWoman View Post
The fact you finished putting the seat in is a testament to the awesome person you are. I am still so sorry that happened [emoji17]❤️

Its healed up more or less. I can't even tell it was ever even broke.
It was totally worth it.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:32 AM   #14
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: A3RE
Engine: 3126 Cat
Rated Cap: 33220 GVwR
First and foremost Jinxed I wish you Godspeed and a fast recovery.

Well my old dumb self have dropped my motorcycle. I have caught my hand in between the fan belt and the water pump pulley on a older car. I have shocked the hell out of myself messing around with the coil on my van back in the day. However the list goes on and on but nothing at your level.

We all have done something that was questionable or would be a YouTube video of what not to do.

Today, I have damage vertebrates from L1 - S1. With a pitched nerve at L4. My walking well, I just say my 2 year old walks better then I do.

The lower extremity Peripheral neuropathy, has caused weakness, numbness and pain in my feet. Just to let you know the peripheral nervous system sends information from your brain and spinal cord (central nervous system) to the rest of your body.

Well God bless.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Don't Fret God's Not Through With Me Yet!
IWC Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:04 PM   #15
Bus Nut

On the last Friday in October at 7:20 am temp 40 and wind chill 20 with a 15 mph wind. I was alone and fell on the steps going down. I wound up upside down in the stairwell. Right shoulder on 1st step and left leg bent back and foot turning up and knee solid against the front wall. I screamed so long that eventually i realized screaming isn't going to help at all because there was no one around to hear me. My life flashed before my eyes. Lucky for me the door was partially open. I couldn't quite reach the door bar with my right arm. I had to grab my left pant leg and pull my leg back to get free. I think i passed out when i did it. I woke up flat out perpendicular to the door with feet facing away and face down. I was soaking wet with sweat and totally wore out. After a bit i came to think you have to get up or you are going to die from hypothermia. Managed to crawl up the steps. Laid pretty much in bed for 3 days. Amazingly my total hip did not dislocate. I can walk with a cane again but that fall has pretty much ended that. I feel safer from now on using crutches. I fell out of it backwards last summer and did a roll out onto the ground unhurt. Neither time did i hit my head. I feel so lucky to be back home with my wife in Costa Rica.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:09 PM   #16
Almost There

No Schoolie yet but one time I dropped a transmission on my arm. Just a 5 speed from a small truck and luckily between my arm an the ground was a 2x4 supported between two jack stands. The 2x4 flexed and that is why I didn't break my arm that day.

I think I broke my hand once when I got pissed off by a shitty weld and tried to break off the piece by hammer fist punch. The weld was better than I thought.

I know some people are prone to accidents and the injuries that come with them. If I was like that I would drastically scale back the scope of any Schoolie conversion I would attempt or outsource a lot.

I think the reason some people are like that is that they act before they think about the dangers they are facing. You need to know how you can get in to them, how you can get out and what to do if everything goes wrong.

I know my worst injuries have come when I'm frustrated or when I don't have time to react.

It sounds like a lot of people have a brain that's running 2 seconds slow. Slow yourself and you might not get bit.
Drop out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:56 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Oh my gosh! Glad you recovered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
On the last Friday in October at 7:20 am temp 40 and wind chill 20 with a 15 mph wind. I was alone and fell on the steps going down. I wound up upside down in the stairwell. Right shoulder on 1st step and left leg bent back and foot turning up and knee solid against the front wall. I screamed so long that eventually i realized screaming isn't going to help at all because there was no one around to hear me. My life flashed before my eyes. Lucky for me the door was partially open. I couldn't quite reach the door bar with my right arm. I had to grab my left pant leg and pull my leg back to get free. I think i passed out when i did it. I woke up flat out perpendicular to the door with feet facing away and face down. I was soaking wet with sweat and totally wore out. After a bit i came to think you have to get up or you are going to die from hypothermia. Managed to crawl up the steps. Laid pretty much in bed for 3 days. Amazingly my total hip did not dislocate. I can walk with a cane again but that fall has pretty much ended that. I feel safer from now on using crutches. I fell out of it backwards last summer and did a roll out onto the ground unhurt. Neither time did i hit my head. I feel so lucky to be back home with my wife in Costa Rica.

WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:54 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
You guys all have me beat, but once I was working on the drum brakes on my car. When I remounted the shoe springs, instead of getting my brake tools out of the attic I tried to mount one of the springs with a pair of needle nose pliers. I grabbed the spring loop with the pliers and pulled like hell to stretch it up and over the spring stud. Of course the pliers slipped and I stabbed myself pretty hard a half inch away from my right eye. No lasting damage and a big lesson learned.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:10 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
17 breaks in the bones of my right leg in oneshot i dont run marathons anymore but i can walk so its cool
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:46 AM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
So sorry for all the injuries!! So glad all of you are ok (now, finally).
It really makes me think and re-think that we need to slow down and be extra cautious. Thankfully, all I've done is fallen from a 3 step ladder and landed on it in the position of riding a pony LOL ouch!
Be careful out there !!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk