Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2018, 02:06 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Amtran Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
Luck of the draw I guess.....I live in Washington and bought my bus in Oregon....went into office in Washington and asked for a temp tag... they gave me one....did not ask what it was for or anything....gave me a blank tag to be filled out when I picked up my bus.

Kind of like when I got my bus home and did the title change and registration. I went in and asked them to change the title from bus to motorhome. She asked me if I was going to leave it yellow, to which I replied no I’m going to paint it gray and blue. I didn’t have to show pictures or sign any kind of paperwork showing it was converted. Heck it still had all the seats still in it at the time! They gave me my registration and plates on the spot. When I got the new title in the mail it was listed as a gray and blue motorhome.

Yes it was really just that easy! Other states are other states! They are all slightly different or difficult.

Asetechrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:56 PM   #22
Skoolie

Year: 2010
Coachwork: Coach & Equipment MFG
Chassis: ford E350 superduty
Engine: 5.4 liter v8
Rated Cap: 7 passenger
i know mass doesn't issue temp tags,... maybe register it before pickup?
you are driving a bus, that being said you should remove the word bus from conversations you have about inspections and tags. you are not going to be using it as a bus (to move lots of people) you are using it as a motorhome or rv so the relevant tags and inspections and driver training is more like a medium duty truck, or motorhome. if you say bus people are going to assume you are transporting people, and you may not want to open that can of worms. if you remove the seat cushions for all but 15 passengers it legally can be driven without bus on a drivers license,.. i got my bus from mass luckily the seller drove it up to Maine for me (without tags)
good luck
we need pictures!!!
Old 08-03-2018, 03:49 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbeggs View Post
i know mass doesn't issue temp tags,... maybe register it before pickup?
you are driving a bus, that being said you should remove the word bus from conversations you have about inspections and tags. you are not going to be using it as a bus (to move lots of people) you are using it as a motorhome or rv so the relevant tags and inspections and driver training is more like a medium duty truck, or motorhome. if you say bus people are going to assume you are transporting people, and you may not want to open that can of worms. if you remove the seat cushions for all but 15 passengers it legally can be driven without bus on a drivers license,.. i got my bus from mass luckily the seller drove it up to Maine for me (without tags)
good luck
we need pictures!!!
What if it's still a bus with seats that I have no intention of hauling people.
You can't just tell DMV you're going to use for a motorhome or RV without showing a completed conversion.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:35 PM   #24
Skoolie

I don't know specifically about mass but here in Maine I haven't ever heard of needing to prove anything to the DMV from people using buses converted to car haulers the DMV here just isn't that nosey and generally take people at their word (accusing someone of being dishonest doesn't go over well here) the most they would ask is how many seats are in it, and your intended use,.. although if you did get caught hauling 65 people the police would come down on you rather hard so it cuts both ways. note this is for DMV offices outside of Portland they can be hard-nosed in the city
Old 08-03-2018, 11:00 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Amtran Genesis
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
What if it's still a bus with seats that I have no intention of hauling people.
You can't just tell DMV you're going to use for a motorhome or RV without showing a completed conversion.
What state are you referring to in this statement?

That is exactly what I did in Washington State...my bus is registered and titled as a motorhome in Washington
Asetechrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:29 AM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asetechrail View Post

That is exactly what I did in Washington State...my bus is registered and titled as a motorhome in Washington

Same for me, when the original owner switched it in CO. No inspection, just a title change.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:31 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
Same for me, when the original owner switched it in CO.
Same for me.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:18 AM   #28
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedinosaurmann View Post
Hello!

My bad if this has been discussed multiple times before, however I checked for threads that were relevant but couldn't find any that answered my questions....

I just put the first down-payment on my Skoolie and will be picking it up by the end of August (this month) beginning of September (next month) so I'm a total noobie and please go easy on me if this seems like a stupid set of questions!!

I live in the New England area and still have almost everything (car, and license) registered in NH because I travel between homes up there and MA a lot. (Purchasing the Bus itself from CT, about 2-3 hours away.) My friends who live in MA will be giving me a space to convert the bus itself but I need to be able to drive it there.

My questions are mainly about getting the Bus inspected and legal to drive.

1.) If an inspection is required, how long do I have after purchase?

2.) Anyone have suggestions on where I go to get an inspection on a Bus? I checked a few websites for trucks and RVs but none of them mentioned Buses...

3.) Will regular temporary plates work for driving it from CT to NH? ( My father happens to be a truck driver and has a CDL license. An A license not an S but I think we can swing that if we were pulled over... Honest "mistake." ;) )

4.) Is an inspection required to register the Skoolie?? (I looked on the NH DMV website and they mentioned NOTHING.)

Any information, even links to different past threads, is extremely helpful. I'm not made of money and am trying to do this as easily but inexpensively as possible. If you have suggestions on shops that do really good work and aren't hella picky on details for stickers, let me know those too.

Thanks!
Ok state isn't required here in SC, what about FHWA?
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:27 AM   #29
Bus Nut

Quote:
You must be the exception. I find it hard to believe you can't get a temp tag in any state in the union. You have to have a way to legally get out of each state with a new purchase.
Of course it helps if it's not a weekend. Ga. certainly issues temp tags. Just tell the truth Charlie, you never made an attempt to get the temp tag and didn't care about driving it home without.
I'm spoiled here in Dawson County, no inspections on vehicles for safety or emissions on any year vehicle.
Just get out the card stock and print jokey's bus sales on license plate sized sheet. Then write a 45 days from purchased date in sharpie under it. Instant temp tag!
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:30 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:

I've done 3 buses in WA this way.

Never any pictures or inspections.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:39 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Quote:

I was referring to Mass.

I think in your case and some others you got away with a DMV rep not doing their job. There are certain requirements to call each vehicle what they are. I can't go in and say my bus is a Corvette and title it as such. An empty bus is in no way an RV or M/H by anyones standards. How DMV just takes your word for it is crazy. Not saying it doesn't happen often, there are a lot of minimum wage people at work in these positions and they just don't care about anything but the paycheck on Fri.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:43 PM   #32
Skoolie

Quote:
I was referring to Mass.

I think in your case and some others you got away with a DMV rep not doing their job. There are certain requirements to call each vehicle what they are. I can't go in and say my bus is a Corvette and title it as such. An empty bus is in no way an RV or M/H by anyones standards. How DMV just takes your word for it is crazy. Not saying it doesn't happen often, there are a lot of minimum wage people at work in these positions and they just don't care about anything but the paycheck on Fri.
i think the difference here in Maine is each town issues plates and the clerk in the town isn't interested in being law enforcement if you want to register your motorized skateboard as an RV they will probably do it, it is up to the state police or sheriffs to catch you and enforce the law once you drive down the road.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:01 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbeggs View Post
i think the difference here in Maine is each town issues plates and the clerk in the town isn't interested in being law enforcement if you want to register your motorized skateboard as an RV they will probably do it, it is up to the state police or sheriffs to catch you and enforce the law once you drive down the road.
My argument would be "that's what DMV said I have and gave me corresponding paperwork." I can check on Maine, my brother just retired there.
Old 08-04-2018, 04:23 PM   #34
Bus Nut

I'm also pretty sure that MA does NOT issue temporary tags.

Also, No insurance, No plates.

I had to jump through so many stupid hoops to register a 4x6 utility trailer last year. . . .its nuts.

I have no idea /why/ Massachusetts chooses to make things so hard, that's just the way it is. . . .
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:28 PM   #35
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_In_MA View Post
I'm also pretty sure that MA does NOT issue temporary tags.

Also, No insurance, No plates.

I had to jump through so many stupid hoops to register a 4x6 utility trailer last year. . . .its nuts.

I have no idea /why/ Massachusetts chooses to make things so hard, that's just the way it is. . . .
In many of the states I have been registered in the tags stay with the old registered owner. In Mass. if it's registered when you buy it, that is good for you to get it home.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:03 PM   #36
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
I drove my Brunhilde from Kankakee, IL to Billings, MT with only the dealer's (Northewest Transit) drive-off tag in the back window. When I got to Billings, the next business day, I took the paperwork to MVD to register it. Because I wanted Vet tags with the wheelchair logo, I had to wait a few days for the tags. The clerk, whom I had worked with before, asked if I intended to drive it; I told her no, so she didn't issue me any temp tags (just a few $ more). Got the tin tags in the mail, but I still have to reapply for RV tags - someday.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:57 PM   #37

Year: 2004
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: Navistar DT466E
Rated Cap: 72
Excerpted from DMV NH website:

All New Hampshire registered vehicles require a safety inspection to be conducted within ten (10) days of the registration. After the initial inspection, registered vehicles must be re-inspected every year, no later than ten (10) days after the end of the owner's birth month. When a vehicle changes owners, it must be inspected in the new owner's name within ten (10) days of the registration date, even if the original inspection sticker has not expired. Please note that antique motor vehicles must be inspected in the month of April.

As for where to go I feel like if it fits it should be fine. Just call around and see if they can do it.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:33 PM   #38
Skoolie

Coachwork: None yet
Quote:
Luck of the draw I guess.....I live in Washington and bought my bus in Oregon....went into office in Washington and asked for a temp tag... they gave me one....did not ask what it was for or anything....gave me a blank tag to be filled out when I picked up my bus.

Kind of like when I got my bus home and did the title change and registration. I went in and asked them to change the title from bus to motorhome. She asked me if I was going to leave it yellow, to which I replied no I’m going to paint it gray and blue. I didn’t have to show pictures or sign any kind of paperwork showing it was converted. Heck it still had all the seats still in it at the time! They gave me my registration and plates on the spot. When I got the new title in the mail it was listed as a gray and blue motorhome.

Yes it was really just that easy! Other states are other states! They are all slightly different or difficult.
I'm probably going to visit one of the east side licensing offices when we get our bus. We're in a non-emissions zip code, but our licensing offices are too close to Seattle/Tacoma for such easy transactions.
cycle61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:01 PM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 666
A few tidbits to offer for others:

Generally speaking you can transfer title where purchased or where you reside. Temp tags probably fall under the same rule.

Texas has a stupid "assigned value" clause that they use to jack up the sales tax. I doubt it applies to buses, but on cars I've had go-rounds with the local Tax office and had to go to the county I purchased in to avoid excess taxes.

Regarding the seats: If you can carry more than a certain number of passengers you are a CMV and require a CDL. I want to say it's 12 pax. So if you leave all the seats in you run the risk of being called a CMV and hassled about your license. CMV = Commercial Motor Vehicle. CDL = Commercial Drivers License.

It used to be that if you owned it you could drive it in Texas. It changed sometime in the last few years and it now goes by GCVW. Anything over 25,001 pounds is a Class B. If towing something heavy enough you need a Class A. There are non-commercial Class A and B licenses. Still requires a knowledge test and skills test in Texas. I'm just passing on what I know as my current coach is a 34,500 GVW vehicle. I'm a Class CM driver currently. Class C and M. M is for Motorcycle. I'll upgrade at some point when I buy a Skoolie to convert. Much better visibility then my current coach which makes it easier to play the backing games.
Bus #3- 1985 Auwerter (Neoplan) Cityliner N116/2 Motorhome
See "My garage" in profile for past vehicles and pictures.
My bus blog: https://www.autobus.us
Hotpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:08 PM   #40
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 666
weigh stations?

I am curious how folks have handled weigh stations when they bought a bus out of state and drove it home with all the seats in it.

I think technically with all the seats we are a CMV and required to stop at weigh stations. Of course they check weight, but they are really CMV Safety Inspection stations and they check a bunch of other stuff and can put you "out of service" if something is wrong.

Running past one will generally get you chased down, but I've never seen a Greyhound or School Bus pull into one. Never once.

I've heard that some of the Motorcoaches on the car racing circuit have been hassled as CMV's. Arizona in particular is rumored to be thirsty for fines. I've only been pulled over once and I think he wanted to see inside. I have radio operator plates and it was in Houston where I live. He said my plate was registered to an SLK 230 that was yellow, an F150 that was blue and a Pegasus Motorhome. It took every ounce of good in me to ask which one he thought he had pulled over. Keep in mind it's a 40 foot long, 12.5 foot high, 34,500 pound Motorcoach. That's the size of a damn Megabus or Greyhound! I sure hope he didn't think it was an F150 or Mercedes Convertible. To boot it says Pegasus in cast gold letters on it.

Anyhow back to topic..... do people pull in to Weight Stations or not? What states are jerkie about it?

The only time I've ever pulled in was in an Enterprise Rental Truck in OK and TX and they seemed more annoyed at me than anything else. I was using them commercially and figured it was better to be waved away than chased down.
Bus #3- 1985 Auwerter (Neoplan) Cityliner N116/2 Motorhome
See "My garage" in profile for past vehicles and pictures.
My bus blog: https://www.autobus.us
Hotpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inspection new england