Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-14-2018, 05:02 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 11
International 3800 Question

Found a 1995 International 3800 with 250k miles recently pull from a school system. What is a reasonable price for this bus? Everything seems in good shape from the Craigslist ad. Going to look Thursday morning.
britainweyant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:45 PM   #2
Site Team
 
Johnny Mullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ashtabula, Ohio
Posts: 1,077
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
What engine and trans? Any rust issues? How long is it? These things determine the price.
__________________
Mullet's Thunder Bus Build
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:48 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
What engine and trans? Any rust issues? How long is it? These things determine the price.
Not sure the transmission, I am sure I will find out on Thursday. I don't believe there is a spot of rust, but I will confirm on Thursday as well. If you had to ball park it, what do you think?
britainweyant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:55 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by britainweyant View Post
Not sure the transmission, I am sure I will find out on Thursday. I don't believe there is a spot of rust, but I will confirm on Thursday as well. If you had to ball park it, what do you think?
Also it is a full size bus. 3800 T444E
britainweyant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:12 PM   #5
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 6,863
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Where is the bus located. It's rare to find one that is completely rust free as the rust is usually under the floor where you don't see it. Don't rely on CL pics. I have a bus here, looks great in the pics but it extremely battlescarred around the whole bus.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:21 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Where is the bus located. It's rare to find one that is completely rust free as the rust is usually under the floor where you don't see it. Don't rely on CL pics. I have a bus here, looks great in the pics but it extremely battlescarred around the whole bus.
Bus is located in Georgia.
britainweyant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:01 PM   #7
Site Team
 
Johnny Mullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ashtabula, Ohio
Posts: 1,077
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
I paid $2500 for my 1996 28 foot International 3800 T444E with some minor rust on rear and 174000 miles on it. That should give you a ball park, but a mid sized bus usually sells higher than a 40 footer.
__________________
Mullet's Thunder Bus Build
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:26 PM   #8
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 6,863
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
If it's near a coastal city I would make sure to go over it with a fine tooth comb for rust. Ga. seems to run their buses longer than most and they are worn. I just bought a Ga. bus from mid north area and it is battlescarred and worn.
Trans would be a deciding factor for me. As Johnny mentioned, that typically would be a $2500 bus, less with a 545 and more with a 5-6 speed.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:55 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 11
All right everyone. Here looking now. Engine sounds great, was used for schooling as I said. Tires look decent, undercarriage all looks good. Transmission IS in fact a 545. I offered 2200 they countered 2400.
britainweyant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:17 AM   #10
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 6,863
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by britainweyant View Post
All right everyone. Here looking now. Engine sounds great, was used for schooling as I said. Tires look decent, undercarriage all looks good. Transmission IS in fact a 545. I offered 2200 they countered 2400.
Did you test drive it on the freeway to see top cruising speed? Least desirable tranny, so think about your intended use.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
international 3800

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.