Old 02-14-2008, 08:46 PM   #11
Skoolie

Re: Inverter, stereo equipment

Oh I almost hate to do this. I'm going to show my inexperience and ignorance. What the hell is a UPS besides those brown vans with the brown people?
reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:39 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Uninteruptable Power Supply

They are like a surge protector and then some used to protect sensitive electronics (computers mostly). Basically, they will allow line voltage to pass through and power the equipment so long as it is at the correct frequency and voltage. When the power supply is not acceptable they switch to a battery backup within milliseconds. There's more to it than that, but think of them as a surge protector/power inverter/converter type of a deal. Most of the time you can get them for next to nothing because organizations would rather replace them whole unit than pay for the batteries.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:48 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve

UPSs also have a built in automatic transfer switch which makes them a nice tool to use in your bus as a charger/inverter/transfer switch
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:26 PM   #14
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 351 windsor
Rated Cap: 72

A ups is a uninteruptable power supply. it contains batteries to protect the load against a power interuption. The better ones include circuitry that will provide the load with a very stable sine wave. It takes the ac from your recepticle and turns it into dc to charge the internal or external batteries then it inverts the dc back into ac and supplies the load. That is why the sine is so good because your machine just made it and nothing but your electrical load is on it. See ya at camp Zoe, be there or be square.
Dave
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:37 AM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

rep i did not know either so ill back you up mail?
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:13 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Webb
A small inverter for each item is better than a large inverter. The reason is large inverter uses more electric. When on solar it matters. A small inverter for each appliance that you shut off and shuts off the appliance. Less usage than a large do everthing inverter. I think I read this on a boondocking page.
seems everyone has their own opinion. I use my bus for everything. mostly partying, but also camping, festivals, bar hopping, etc. I much prefer to have 1 big inverter over several small ones. It's much easier, especially when your batt voltage begins to drop, for a 2000 watt inverter to start a 700 watt appliance than it is for a 750 watt inverter to do the same. The smaller inverter has a tendency to overload and shut itself off, especially with lower battey voltage when it's asked to run a load anywhere near it's capacity. I do however like to keep a smaller cheap inverter on board to use as a backup.....like a 750 watt. It's no fun when someone spills their jellow shot on top of the 2kw inverter and the magic smoke escapes.....the lights go out and the party is over unless you have a backup plan....

i use the cheapest inverters i can find. Modified sin wave. I had a coleman 2KW inverter in the old bus. The next bus had a "chicago electric" inverter which was identical to the old one, just a different label. They're about $200 on the net for a 2kw inverter.

I agree with steve that anything with an internal or external transformer tends to run just fine off of modified sin wave. One of the very few things that would not run off of my inverter for me was a 110v charger for my palm pilot. It simply would not charge with this dirty power...and i have no idea why. As a side note...Dewalt cordless tool chargers are designed to run on dirty power. they do just fine with inverters, or even generators that aren't producing good clean power. I've plugged hundreds of devices into my inverters over the years and had almost no problems.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:26 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprobate
Oh I almost hate to do this. I'm going to show my inexperience and ignorance. What the hell is a UPS besides those brown vans with the brown people?
I'm sorry about that, I just forgot to spell it out. My Bad

Normally, I'll put the abbr. in parenthesis, but this time I forgot.
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 02:31 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster
A ups is a uninteruptable power supply. it contains batteries to protect the load against a power interuption. The better ones include circuitry that will provide the load with a very stable sine wave. It takes the ac from your recepticle and turns it into dc to charge the internal or external batteries then it inverts the dc back into ac and supplies the load. That is why the sine is so good because your machine just made it and nothing but your electrical load is on it. See ya at camp Zoe, be there or be square.
Dave
Dave, you're really talking about high end stuff here. Normally, the UPS, that I can afford, only does modified sine wave. Heck, maybe that's changed since I plugged a scope on one.
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:56 PM   #19
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 351 windsor
Rated Cap: 72

Allow me to apologize sir, I guess I am refering to some high end stuff, where I work We exclusivly use Eaton Powerware they are top shelf. They are used by norad and the pentagon etc. They also build a modified sine wave by pulse timing, but it is a damned fine one. I was trying to help out earlier, but I really don't know that much about the smaller units. I don't have any smaller than 500kva at work. I hope that I didn't muddy the water too bad.
Dave
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:46 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

As the talk is about inverters, etc. I thought that I'd chime in: Costco has 1000 watt Xantrex inverters fo $39 (& I bought 2).
They came into the store 3 months ago at $59, and were reduced to $49, and are now $39, which includes the $10 instant rebate.

At this price it would seem that an inverter dedicated to a specific load makes economical sense. Such as an inverter dedicated to a refridgerator.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote