Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2015, 11:25 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Is this a good deal?

They are asking $7500. Husband wants to go look at this one but I want to throw it out there and see if this looks to be a good start? We're interested in building up a bus to hopefully live in full time. The inside isn't anything like we would like it to be but if this sounds like a good start we can work with redoing the inside.

1992 40ft Ward/International Senator 80 Passenger School Bus Conversion. Has DT466E 6 cycle Diesel Engine with an Allison AT545 Automatic Transmission with a Bendix Air Break System and with a Corporate Z-beam rear Air suspension.

Bought from Hot Springs, Arkansas School district April 2009. Its legally converted to a RV so any one can drive. Its been a project for the past 5yrs and unfortunately I have to sell at this point. We bought it with 92,000 miles and have all service records from when she was in the school district along with all receipts for any work that's been done since we bought it.

On the Bus side of things, It has new tires all around on it (rears as of Aug. 2014 and front tires April 2010). Air breaks have been checked out and with a new air dryer and check valve installed (Sept 2012). New Rear Shocks and leaf springs with Tires in (Aug.2014) All the external Running, Parking, Reverse, tail/turn lights have been converted to LED, has two new deep cycle batteries as of Sept 2013 kept on a solar trickle charger. I have Oil,fuel, and transmission filters that I bought in bulk in sealed packages for next 4 changes on each, (was cheaper that way).

On RV Side, all seats but four removed and used to create front seating area, Two of the seats are turned 180 so that the four seats face each other. Has a Large Garage Sink with pull out Faucet, Toilet with separate Cleaning sprayer on top of 38 gal black water tank, and separate 28 gal grey water tanks. System is feed by a 40gal Fresh Water tank with a 4gal per minute ShurfFlo Pump. Comes with Two part dump house system and Clean out valve.
Kitchen has two counter tops and cupboard spaces. Has a Antwood 3 Burner stove/oven combo (new in 2010). Rear of bus has space for standard queen size bed ( not included) Front of bus can sleep 5 easy.
Roof Has Roof rack that was intended to be continued length of bus but due to life situations was unable to continue, as is its 7ft by 8ft. Bus has temporary Roof hatches installed as the two factory plastic unites failed within last year and haven't had funds to replace them.

MilesnElijahsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:06 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Sounds like my bus, and I'd sell you mine much cheaper...
if it were for sale.
Sounds over-priced to me and has a somewhat less desirable transmission.
Pics?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:44 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Here is a link to it. The inside isn't good but we figured we'd have to redo most of anything we bought. If it's not a good bus to buy to fix I would love to hear it before driving to go see it. Thank you for your reply!!! Also does anyone have an idea of what this might be worth?

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/rvs/4850320172.html
Old 02-06-2015, 10:17 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Oh, I saw that one before. I have the same model and year of bus, only without the crappy primer job.
I'd say that's a $4000 bus tops. It sounds like a hasty conversion. The roof hatches are one of the first things to address on these Senators and it still has a "temporary" fix. For that asking price I'd want ac, a real paint job, etc.
I'd also be VERY leery of the mileage. For its age, that would be very low mileage and the dashes on these are OFTEN changed out. Mine shows 127k. It actually has 248k. I know that because I bought it from a school board. They are very forthcoming as they aren't personally making any money off selling the bus.
I'd find out how flexible that price is. I wouldn't drive across town to look at it for what they're asking.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:37 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

First I want to thank you for your replies. We looked at the bus and it's not to bad and were definitely considering it. Two problems though that my husband noticed and wanted me to ask about.
1: The head gasket is leaking. Owner said it is an easy fix but we're wondering what the chances are of that being a bad thing(like motor was run without oil too long, how would we know)?
2: there is another leak under the drive train (my husband said it looks like its where the drive train goes into the gear box?)

We liked the guy, seemed really nice and willing to talk things through, we just want to get other thoughts as well. Thanks again!!!
Old 02-09-2015, 11:44 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

A leaking head gasket is a big deal. Even if it is just the gasket, to replace it requires the removal of the top of the engine. If you have the head off that will require other stuff to be done as well. In parts alone you are looking at at least $1K.

If the asking price was $2,500.00 I might risk it.

At $7,500.00 I would find something else.

For under $4K I can find you several buses that are in good running condition with good tires and without issues like a leaking head gasket.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:48 AM   #7
Bus Geek

I'm getting VERY excited about the future resale value of my bus these days based on some of these "what are they worth" threads.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:50 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
A leaking head gasket is a big deal. Even if it is just the gasket, to replace it requires the removal of the top of the engine. If you have the head off that will require other stuff to be done as well. In parts alone you are looking at at least $1K.

If the asking price was $2,500.00 I might risk it.

At $7,500.00 I would find something else.

For under $4K I can find you several buses that are in good running condition with good tires and without issues like a leaking head gasket.
Yes, this! ^^
Sounds like the rear main seal could be out, too... Thats another fun one. The hasty conversions are the ones for sale with mechanical problems and lack of maintenance.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:08 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Ok thanks to both of you! I'm sure my husband might come on here to ask more in depth questions as I really don't know the mechanics side of anything. Truly appreciate all the advice!
Old 02-16-2015, 08:38 PM   #10
Almost There

Year: 85
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: G.M.C. 6000 series
Engine: 366 G.M.
Rated Cap: 60
That unit should be avoided. 466E and the E is for electric control injector pump , Allison Auto, leak'n head and rear seal, no I think I would avoid this like a S.T.D.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:20 PM   #11
Bus Geek

No it isn't an "E", its a 1992.
I hope the underside of the roof isn't all rusty like mine. Only way to check or fix is to pull out all the metal ceiling panels.
The warning sign is the emergency roof hatches. They leak horribly and weren't sealed very well from the factory. This one doesn't seem to have that fully addressed from what it sounds like.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:24 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
Id be shocked if it was, in fact, an 'e' 466. Those came out in 94 at the earliest and it might have even been 95. The at545 is also not the best tranny for a 466. If you can, an mt643 had many advantages over the 545. Either way, that bus is a terrible deal. You can do better for less. Any seller who says a leaking head gasket is an easy fix is a either an idiot, a liar, or both!
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:26 AM   #13
Bus Geek

I'd be willing to bet it actually has the mt643 and they just don't know much about their bus.
This bus looks like someone figured out that its a lot of work and sorta gave up.