Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-03-2018, 08:03 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
eethan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Indiana
Posts: 56
Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Chassis: AmTran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 54
is this bus overvalued?

I have been on the prowl for a good bus in the indiana area recently to do my own conversion, but so far, i my efforts have been fruitless. BUT, one has come up recently that has really got my attention. I know it has a bit of the work done and people around these parts like to buy a blank slate and do all the work themselves, but im just wondering if the bus itself makes up for that spec wise.

Its a 2001(2002? listing has both now that i look) international RE with 130k.
Its got a md3060 (6th is unlocked), DT466, seats have been removed, it has been retitled as a truck, repainted, cruise control installed, the blinkers have been removed, and the headlights/rear lights have been replaced with LEDs. I havent seen the thing with my own two eyes yet, but they tell me the only bad rust is surface rust around the stair well.

They are asking $6000

Is this too much?
eethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:58 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 66
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Chevy Midbus
Engine: GM 6.5 Turbo Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by eethan View Post
I have been on the prowl for a good bus in the indiana area recently to do my own conversion, but so far, i my efforts have been fruitless. BUT, one has come up recently that has really got my attention. I know it has a bit of the work done and people around these parts like to buy a blank slate and do all the work themselves, but im just wondering if the bus itself makes up for that spec wise.

Its a 2001(2002? listing has both now that i look) international RE with 130k.
Its got a md3060 (6th is unlocked), DT466, seats have been removed, it has been retitled as a truck, repainted, cruise control installed, the blinkers have been removed, and the headlights/rear lights have been replaced with LEDs. I havent seen the thing with my own two eyes yet, but they tell me the only bad rust is surface rust around the stair well.

They are asking $6000

Is this too much?
Sounds like a pretty decent deal to me. Very desirable drivetrain and the 6th gear already unlocked is a nice bonus. If it's got the tall ceiling I don't think it's overpriced.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
jordan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:16 AM   #3
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Pendleton Indiana
Posts: 258
Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
Pics will tell. Sounds like a good start. Is it in Indiana? If you go look see how they got 6th unlocked. Maybe they have a local hookup. Price seems decent.
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:16 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie
 
eethan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Indiana
Posts: 56
Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Chassis: AmTran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 54
here is the cl listing for some pics and little more info
https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/...541162167.html
eethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:36 AM   #5
Bus Nut
 
Drew Bru's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Illinois
Posts: 272
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Sounds like a good deal to me, if you've got the money for it and are prepared to spend it. There's something to be said for spending a little more (within your comfort zone) rather than counting on the elusive "I got my dream bus for $2500" but having to wait longer than you wanted to. A sort of "strike-while-the-iron's-hot" markup.

That engine and trans combo is very desirable, and coupled with the work that's been done to it and the upgrades that have been performed.....sounds like a solid deal to me (at least on paper).

No harm in going to take a look at it!
Drew Bru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:03 PM   #6
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 3,459
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Most rust issues are going to be hidden under the subfloor, if you don't pull it up how do you really know if there is any? Chances are if there is rust in one area, there will be more hidden somewhere else. The seller will always minimize the issue and say it is just surface rust until you take a screwdriver and poke a hole through it.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:36 PM   #7
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Most rust issues are going to be hidden under the subfloor, if you don't pull it up how do you really know if there is any? Chances are if there is rust in one area, there will be more hidden somewhere else. The seller will always minimize the issue and say it is just surface rust until you take a screwdriver and poke a hole through it.
Sometimes you can tell, often not and if there is any sign of rust it will be worse under the floor.

I checked very carefully before deciding not to pull the plywood. There were zero signs of rust in any of the vulnerable areas, nor any signs of water ingress. No rust underneath and an unbroken coating on the steel.

However, had I seen anything around the stairwell, or wheel wells, or anything of note underneath, I would have taken up the floor.

Just to add.

I don't know if this is universal, but it is how mine is built.

There are some small signs that two of the windows have leaked a little. All the water running down the inside has run behind the chair rail, and water going down there can escape out of the bottom of the rail to the exterior.

Even by those windows there are no signs of the flooring ply ever getting wet.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:44 AM   #8
Bus Nut
 
david.dgeorge07's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 996
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
I think sometimes we stress too much about whether or not we got a good bargain. No one wants to be taken for a ride, but the real question is if it is the bus you want, when you need it, and can you find a better fit for less?

I could have paid a little less for my bus - did pay less than this one and they are somewhat similar, but, I have found as Iíve gotten deeper into the build that a few hundred or even a thousand dollars is a drop in the bucket compared to whether or not it is really the right bus for you.

Youíll be thinking about the specifics of you bus long after you have stopped thinking about the exact price.

If you find the right bus for you, and you need to buy on a timeline, itís worth the money...within reason.
__________________
My Build Thread:

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:29 PM   #9
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 10,019
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.dgeorge07 View Post
I think sometimes we stress too much about whether or not we got a good bargain. No one wants to be taken for a ride, but the real question is if it is the bus you want, when you need it, and can you find a better fit for less?

I could have paid a little less for my bus - did pay less than this one and they are somewhat similar, but, I have found as Iíve gotten deeper into the build that a few hundred or even a thousand dollars is a drop in the bucket compared to whether or not it is really the right bus for you.

Youíll be thinking about the specifics of you bus long after you have stopped thinking about the exact price.

If you find the right bus for you, and you need to buy on a timeline, itís worth the money...within reason.

THIS!!!!

People like to slam on me because i bought my DEV bus at a dealer in florida.. and yeah I probably paid more for it than I should have for an older bus.. However i needed a bus for a specific project(s).. I talked em down a bit, got it and it met and exceeded said projects.. my return on investment was WAY more than made financially from the projects but also psychologically / mentally / emotionally. in effect I couldve waited a few months for what those call "a better bus" but 'seize the moment' also comes into play... and I dont regret one bit buiying that bus... and while I had no reason to hasng onto it after the projects were complete, I do and am glad i do..

I stress on "complete value" vs just the price.. look at it from a complete standpoint not just the bus price.. if it has what you want / need. thats things you dont have to do.. things which might take lots time or money or both... plus you can probably get them down a grand from 6k to 5k.. which is a good price for sure for a bus with that drivetrain in it.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:54 PM   #10
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 3,219
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Buying at auction carries risks that can be avoided by buying from a dealer or private party if the seller allows you to test drive and take the bus to a mechanic.

That is definitely an added value.

That is a very desirable bus. If the rust is not a problem and inspection/test drive does not reveal issues, I would consider $5k a very good deal.

From the pics the tires look pretty good too.

Just my $0.02
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.