Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2018, 07:03 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Chassis: AmTran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 54
is this bus overvalued?

I have been on the prowl for a good bus in the indiana area recently to do my own conversion, but so far, i my efforts have been fruitless. BUT, one has come up recently that has really got my attention. I know it has a bit of the work done and people around these parts like to buy a blank slate and do all the work themselves, but im just wondering if the bus itself makes up for that spec wise.

Its a 2001(2002? listing has both now that i look) international RE with 130k.
Its got a md3060 (6th is unlocked), DT466, seats have been removed, it has been retitled as a truck, repainted, cruise control installed, the blinkers have been removed, and the headlights/rear lights have been replaced with LEDs. I havent seen the thing with my own two eyes yet, but they tell me the only bad rust is surface rust around the stair well.

They are asking $6000

Is this too much?

eethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:58 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Chevy Midbus
Engine: GM 6.5 Turbo Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by eethan View Post
I have been on the prowl for a good bus in the indiana area recently to do my own conversion, but so far, i my efforts have been fruitless. BUT, one has come up recently that has really got my attention. I know it has a bit of the work done and people around these parts like to buy a blank slate and do all the work themselves, but im just wondering if the bus itself makes up for that spec wise.

Its a 2001(2002? listing has both now that i look) international RE with 130k.
Its got a md3060 (6th is unlocked), DT466, seats have been removed, it has been retitled as a truck, repainted, cruise control installed, the blinkers have been removed, and the headlights/rear lights have been replaced with LEDs. I havent seen the thing with my own two eyes yet, but they tell me the only bad rust is surface rust around the stair well.

They are asking $6000

Is this too much?
Sounds like a pretty decent deal to me. Very desirable drivetrain and the 6th gear already unlocked is a nice bonus. If it's got the tall ceiling I don't think it's overpriced.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
jordan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:16 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
Pics will tell. Sounds like a good start. Is it in Indiana? If you go look see how they got 6th unlocked. Maybe they have a local hookup. Price seems decent.
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:16 AM   #4
Skoolie

here is the cl listing for some pics and little more info
https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/...541162167.html
Old 04-03-2018, 10:36 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Rated Cap: 65
Sounds like a good deal to me, if you've got the money for it and are prepared to spend it. There's something to be said for spending a little more (within your comfort zone) rather than counting on the elusive "I got my dream bus for $2500" but having to wait longer than you wanted to. A sort of "strike-while-the-iron's-hot" markup.

That engine and trans combo is very desirable, and coupled with the work that's been done to it and the upgrades that have been performed.....sounds like a solid deal to me (at least on paper).

No harm in going to take a look at it!
Drew Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:03 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Most rust issues are going to be hidden under the subfloor, if you don't pull it up how do you really know if there is any? Chances are if there is rust in one area, there will be more hidden somewhere else. The seller will always minimize the issue and say it is just surface rust until you take a screwdriver and poke a hole through it.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:36 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Most rust issues are going to be hidden under the subfloor, if you don't pull it up how do you really know if there is any? Chances are if there is rust in one area, there will be more hidden somewhere else. The seller will always minimize the issue and say it is just surface rust until you take a screwdriver and poke a hole through it.
Sometimes you can tell, often not and if there is any sign of rust it will be worse under the floor.

I checked very carefully before deciding not to pull the plywood. There were zero signs of rust in any of the vulnerable areas, nor any signs of water ingress. No rust underneath and an unbroken coating on the steel.

However, had I seen anything around the stairwell, or wheel wells, or anything of note underneath, I would have taken up the floor.

Just to add.

I don't know if this is universal, but it is how mine is built.

There are some small signs that two of the windows have leaked a little. All the water running down the inside has run behind the chair rail, and water going down there can escape out of the bottom of the rail to the exterior.

Even by those windows there are no signs of the flooring ply ever getting wet.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:44 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
I think sometimes we stress too much about whether or not we got a good bargain. No one wants to be taken for a ride, but the real question is if it is the bus you want, when you need it, and can you find a better fit for less?

I could have paid a little less for my bus - did pay less than this one and they are somewhat similar, but, I have found as I’ve gotten deeper into the build that a few hundred or even a thousand dollars is a drop in the bucket compared to whether or not it is really the right bus for you.

You’ll be thinking about the specifics of you bus long after you have stopped thinking about the exact price.

If you find the right bus for you, and you need to buy on a timeline, it’s worth the money...within reason.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:29 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.dgeorge07 View Post
I think sometimes we stress too much about whether or not we got a good bargain. No one wants to be taken for a ride, but the real question is if it is the bus you want, when you need it, and can you find a better fit for less?

I could have paid a little less for my bus - did pay less than this one and they are somewhat similar, but, I have found as I’ve gotten deeper into the build that a few hundred or even a thousand dollars is a drop in the bucket compared to whether or not it is really the right bus for you.

You’ll be thinking about the specifics of you bus long after you have stopped thinking about the exact price.

If you find the right bus for you, and you need to buy on a timeline, it’s worth the money...within reason.

THIS!!!!

People like to slam on me because i bought my DEV bus at a dealer in florida.. and yeah I probably paid more for it than I should have for an older bus.. However i needed a bus for a specific project(s).. I talked em down a bit, got it and it met and exceeded said projects.. my return on investment was WAY more than made financially from the projects but also psychologically / mentally / emotionally. in effect I couldve waited a few months for what those call "a better bus" but 'seize the moment' also comes into play... and I dont regret one bit buiying that bus... and while I had no reason to hasng onto it after the projects were complete, I do and am glad i do..

I stress on "complete value" vs just the price.. look at it from a complete standpoint not just the bus price.. if it has what you want / need. thats things you dont have to do.. things which might take lots time or money or both... plus you can probably get them down a grand from 6k to 5k.. which is a good price for sure for a bus with that drivetrain in it.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:54 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Buying at auction carries risks that can be avoided by buying from a dealer or private party if the seller allows you to test drive and take the bus to a mechanic.

That is definitely an added value.

That is a very desirable bus. If the rust is not a problem and inspection/test drive does not reveal issues, I would consider $5k a very good deal.

From the pics the tires look pretty good too.

Just my $0.02
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:31 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
It's for sure at the upper end of what people here would be considering, but it looks pretty nice. The black paint is unfortunate and will need to be corrected ASAP!
Old 04-05-2018, 04:48 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Buy it buy it!!!!!!!!!!

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:09 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
That's a sweet looking bus.

I'd be interested. I may try to haggle a bit but if everything checks out, the price is not robbery.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:52 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Indianapolis salts the crap out of their roads. I'd go see it, but be sure to check all of the vulnerable areas really well. (Notice the rust on the front-door steps?)
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:16 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

An RE bus with a lift, a DT466, and an MD3060 is one of the least common spe'c's you will ever come across. If you choose to get rid of the lift and install an entrance door in the middle of the bus you have a lot of the work done for you already.

That vintage may or may not have had rear air ride as standard. All of the RE buses got rear air ride sometime in the early '00's. Since it does have quite a few other options it may have rear air ride which would be a real nice option to have.

My concerns for it would be in regards to rust. Depending on how much and/or how bad the rust might be would be the decider for me.

As for price, since the seats are already out and the bus is no longer all yellow the price is not outrageous. I would be more comfortably at $4500-$5000 but $6000 is not a bad price.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:20 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Not a bad deal
Air ride would be the deal sealer for me.
New exhaust there is a some money
The fact it met dot is good the rust can’t be big monster holes. Even on a truck plate.
Seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 02:29 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Chevy Midbus
Engine: GM 6.5 Turbo Diesel
Is OP on this thread any longer? Did you go see the bus?
jordan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:08 PM   #18
Skoolie

i went and looked at it yesterday, and it looked pretty good all things considered. Very little rust except for on the paneling around the stairs and on the dash, but that was to be expected. Rides and drives very well, and the current owner (who uses it to haul pool chemicals) tells me there has never been any major spillage. He also said he could deliver it if need be, since i live fairly close. ill be out of town for a few days, but ill keep in contact with the guy and work something out. ill keep you all updated.