Old 10-22-2015, 12:41 AM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford E-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Breeze View Post
That sure looks like a chemical reaction between the spray foam & the metal. Is there a way to find out who sprayed the foam on or was that factory done?
I'm almost positive that the factory did it. Them or someone amazingly gifted with fabrication and with some money to spend, though with that degree of attention to detail you would imagine the person would research their insulation before they applied it huh?
m00py is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:11 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
It looks similar to the kind of damage the alphalteum tar was creating in my ceilings.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:28 AM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: El Dorado Aerotech 220
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Oh, man M00py. . . . that's just terrible! I feel your pain ,though. I have to completely cut out and rebuild my passenger entry stairs because the cancer is so bad. I have a little bit of metalworking experience, but it's from about twenty years ago and with nothing as heavy duty as I'll be working with on the bus. Being overwhelmed sucks !

Whatever you do, you have the support of the Skoolie Nation.
CDHenry6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 02:15 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

I'm gonna try to get some more experienced eyes look at it in person today. I'll make a decision after examining it further and exploring all other options.

Just out of curiosity, since I've never done this sort of thing before, if it is only the roof that's damaged (and not the chassis *crosses fingers*) how much do you think a fabrication shop would charge just to replace the entire cap? Not the whole shell just the cap that starts at the top of the windows.
m00py is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 02:55 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00py View Post
I'm gonna try to get some more experienced eyes look at it in person today. I'll make a decision after examining it further and exploring all other options.

Just out of curiosity, since I've never done this sort of thing before, if it is only the roof that's damaged (and not the chassis *crosses fingers*) how much do you think a fabrication shop would charge just to replace the entire cap? Not the whole shell just the cap that starts at the top of the windows.

Sorry to say this but I think your best action would be a salvage operation and use the money to buy another bus. RUST NEVER SLEEPS! I fear any cash you invest in this project will be throwing away good money after bad. The money to reskin is money that could be going in to your conversion.

Also, I can almost guaranty you that the chassis is not much better. Just climb under the bus and you can see for yourself.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 03:46 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
If the spray foam indeed is the cause of that rot, I'd imagine its way worse underneath.

I hate to say but it may be time to cut your losses. I'm not sure hwo much it would be to fix, but it won't be cheap unless you have a friend or something.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:40 PM   #27
Site Team

you could cut the body off behind the cab, buy and install a 8 ft wide x 16 foot long carport and then skin it

i am kind of being serious by the way
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:07 PM   #28
Bus Nut

I think if the chassis is good and not rusted you might just make a box truck/RV (a la Bansil's suggestions). I just fear that any money thrown at that is good chasing after bad. I still think it is worth money to someone, just probably not someone who wants to make an RV out of it. Sell it and start again. What other things have those corrosive chemicals influenced? I doubt that they have only simply affected what they have touched.
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:32 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
Another vote for cutting the body off-and put a beavertail car hauler deck on it.
OR (crazy talk here ) something I've seen before-graft a camper on it. The one I saw was done by a craftsman that restored antique cars- the build quality was excellent. Can't remember the brand -but it was way better than your average sticks+staples.

my bus build http://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:29 PM   #30
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: Cat 3208
Rated Cap: 84 px
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwarf36 View Post
Another vote for cutting the body off-and put a beavertail car hauler deck on it.
OR (crazy talk here ) something I've seen before-graft a camper on it. The one I saw was done by a craftsman that restored antique cars- the build quality was excellent. Can't remember the brand -but it was way better than your average sticks+staples.
If the chassis is still viable, why not? Might want to look into the license requirements before starting.