Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2015, 11:41 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford E-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Breeze View Post
That sure looks like a chemical reaction between the spray foam & the metal. Is there a way to find out who sprayed the foam on or was that factory done?
I'm almost positive that the factory did it. Them or someone amazingly gifted with fabrication and with some money to spend, though with that degree of attention to detail you would imagine the person would research their insulation before they applied it huh?

m00py is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 12:11 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
It looks similar to the kind of damage the alphalteum tar was creating in my ceilings.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:28 AM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: El Dorado Aerotech 220
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Oh, man M00py. . . . that's just terrible! I feel your pain ,though. I have to completely cut out and rebuild my passenger entry stairs because the cancer is so bad. I have a little bit of metalworking experience, but it's from about twenty years ago and with nothing as heavy duty as I'll be working with on the bus. Being overwhelmed sucks !

Whatever you do, you have the support of the Skoolie Nation.
CDHenry6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:15 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

I'm gonna try to get some more experienced eyes look at it in person today. I'll make a decision after examining it further and exploring all other options.

Just out of curiosity, since I've never done this sort of thing before, if it is only the roof that's damaged (and not the chassis *crosses fingers*) how much do you think a fabrication shop would charge just to replace the entire cap? Not the whole shell just the cap that starts at the top of the windows.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:55 PM   #25

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00py View Post
I'm gonna try to get some more experienced eyes look at it in person today. I'll make a decision after examining it further and exploring all other options.

Just out of curiosity, since I've never done this sort of thing before, if it is only the roof that's damaged (and not the chassis *crosses fingers*) how much do you think a fabrication shop would charge just to replace the entire cap? Not the whole shell just the cap that starts at the top of the windows.

Sorry to say this but I think your best action would be a salvage operation and use the money to buy another bus. RUST NEVER SLEEPS! I fear any cash you invest in this project will be throwing away good money after bad. The money to reskin is money that could be going in to your conversion.

Also, I can almost guaranty you that the chassis is not much better. Just climb under the bus and you can see for yourself.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 02:46 PM   #26
Bus Geek

If the spray foam indeed is the cause of that rot, I'd imagine its way worse underneath.

I hate to say but it may be time to cut your losses. I'm not sure hwo much it would be to fix, but it won't be cheap unless you have a friend or something.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:40 PM   #27
Bus Geek

you could cut the body off behind the cab, buy and install a 8 ft wide x 16 foot long carport and then skin it

i am kind of being serious by the way
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:07 PM   #28
Bus Nut

I think if the chassis is good and not rusted you might just make a box truck/RV (a la Bansil's suggestions). I just fear that any money thrown at that is good chasing after bad. I still think it is worth money to someone, just probably not someone who wants to make an RV out of it. Sell it and start again. What other things have those corrosive chemicals influenced? I doubt that they have only simply affected what they have touched.
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:32 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
Another vote for cutting the body off-and put a beavertail car hauler deck on it.
OR (crazy talk here ) something I've seen before-graft a camper on it. The one I saw was done by a craftsman that restored antique cars- the build quality was excellent. Can't remember the brand -but it was way better than your average sticks+staples.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:29 PM   #30
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: Cat 3208
Rated Cap: 84 px
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwarf36 View Post
Another vote for cutting the body off-and put a beavertail car hauler deck on it.
OR (crazy talk here ) something I've seen before-graft a camper on it. The one I saw was done by a craftsman that restored antique cars- the build quality was excellent. Can't remember the brand -but it was way better than your average sticks+staples.
If the chassis is still viable, why not? Might want to look into the license requirements before starting.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:31 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwarf36 View Post
That has actually been done a lot with Isuzu/mitsu cab over trucks and used as expo vehicles, basically remove tounge/axles and build 3 point mounts

A little too much wt for a 1 ton chassis though...I think
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:48 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: International Harvester
Chassis: Ward/Amtram
Engine: IDI 7.3 L
Rated Cap: 41 Passenger (25 ft)
So sorry man, that's truly a shame. I hope you figure it out, myself would probably scrap and start over. Looks like more rust than ceiling!
My apologies though, thats really terrible. I will definetely rethink any spray foam in my bus.
kanijapukka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:25 PM   #33
Almost There

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Gillig
Engine: DD 6V-71
EDIT: Sorry, didn't mean to drag up an old post. I read the original posting date wrong.

I am not an expert, by any means, but I have dabbled quite a bit in the hot rodding world of sheet metal fabrication.

My opinion: if its me finding this, stop everything. It's a bus, not a rare antique vehicle that you'll never find anywhere else. Don't spend another dime on it. If the mechanicals are all solid I'd try to make some money back parting it out and find another one for your conversion.

If you're attached to it, I suppose it is possible to refurbish it, but it would take a lot of work, money and dedication just to get to a back to where you thought you were at before finding this mess.

It's a shame, and I'm sorry you had to figure this out after you already paid for it. This specific reason is exactly why I was a total NAZI about the inspections I made on prospective busses. Next time, I suggest you bring a magnet and a Small screw driver. A magnet that loses its ability to stick can show you where bondo was used. The screw driver will show you where the metal is thin in floor boards and what not.
RyanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:33 AM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanM View Post
EDIT: Sorry, didn't mean to drag up an old post. I read the original posting date wrong.

I am not an expert, by any means, but I have dabbled quite a bit in the hot rodding world of sheet metal fabrication.

My opinion: if its me finding this, stop everything. It's a bus, not a rare antique vehicle that you'll never find anywhere else. Don't spend another dime on it. If the mechanicals are all solid I'd try to make some money back parting it out and find another one for your conversion.

If you're attached to it, I suppose it is possible to refurbish it, but it would take a lot of work, money and dedication just to get to a back to where you thought you were at before finding this mess.

It's a shame, and I'm sorry you had to figure this out after you already paid for it. This specific reason is exactly why I was a total NAZI about the inspections I made on prospective busses. Next time, I suggest you bring a magnet and a Small screw driver. A magnet that loses its ability to stick can show you where bondo was used. The screw driver will show you where the metal is thin in floor boards and what not.
All this needs is new sheet metal over the ribs, like skinning a shed, and almost entirely overtop too. I have a guy who said he'll do the welding work for free even. That leaves me needing only to buy the sheets of metal and material for prep work. Is that reall all that expensive?
Old 01-09-2016, 08:42 AM   #35
Bus Geek

Steel isn't terribly expensive. Labor is the real killer.