Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2013, 10:19 PM   #1

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Is this where I can rant?

I just left Costco. There was a kid about 12 at some karaoke machine. He had the volume turned up so it you could hear it anywhere in the warehouse. He wasn't singing, just stupid gibberish and lots of very annoying feedback. After about 10 minutes his mother walked by and told him to knock it off in whatever language she was speaking. He ignored her and kept on going. After 5 or 10 minutes I couldn't take it anymore. I walked over and yanked the cord out of the power strip. He just stood there dumbfounded. I wanted to say something but I think he understood how pissed I was. Several other customers were walking by and made approving comments. I don't like being an ass but why do I have to make the little sheethead stop? Why can't parents take care of their own children in public. If my daughter behaved like that, I guarantee you it would have lasted long enough for me to yell across the store if I knew it was her. I'm going to be 50 soon(keep the wisecracks to yourself) and I think I'm becoming a cranky old man or that's how I feel. I'm finding it difficult to deal with really stupid behavior. What say you?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:34 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Is this where I can rant?

Excellent idea to unplug the machine. When I was a young lad, I had to stay by the side of my parents and behave.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordion
Excellent idea to unplug the machine. When I was a young lad, I had to stay by the side of my parents and behave.
Rudy, you behaved? I find that hard to believe!
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Chassis: Ward
Engine: 6.6L Brazilian Ford
Rated Cap: 1

I am 56. I've got 6 kids (two still at home) and 6 grandsons. I guarantee you'd never see any of them pulling something stupid like that. Their mothers would have them by the ear in no time!
I can't put up with that stupid stuff anymore either. Some of the BS that goes on at work drives me a little wild too. The older I get the better I seem to handle most of it tho; thankfully!

gus
gusbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

I always got the same lecture from mom BEFORE we went into the store...be good or else...it worked
Old 09-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

No, you cant rave here....move on. ;)
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordion
Rudy, you behaved? I find that hard to believe!
Dan, you made me laugh. It was when I was in the presence of my parents, I WAS well behaved. I never told them of my escapades that some folks on the forum may have read about in the "Time To Laugh" thread.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
Why can't parents take care of their own children in public.
My dad gave me the vulcan death grip in public... it was perfect because people didn't see that he was inflicting horrible amounts of Star Trek pain in full view of society. My favorite spectator sport is a parent arguing with their child in unrestrained tones at a supermarket. I start a little pool with my friends (limit of $5.00) and stick around until the outcome. Double or nothing on whether or not parent or child uses profanity. Much more amusing than rampant abuse of Costco karaoke machines. Haha.

Maybe I will put on a cape and start laying down the vulcan death grip on unsuspecting misbehaving children. We all have to contribute something, yeah?
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
I'm going to be 50 soon(keep the wisecracks to yourself) and I think I'm becoming a cranky old man or that's how I feel. I'm finding it difficult to deal with really stupid behavior. What say you?
This wisecrack is about me so it doesn't count:
I've been a cranky old man for a number of years...and I'm only 47. I realized I was getting old when I caught myself referring to "old fashioned e-mail" and "the old-fashioned Internet." When it comes to the latest in mobile/cloud computing, and to Twit-Face, I might as well be 100.

And yes, this is where you can rant.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #10

Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara
Quote:
My dad gave me the vulcan death grip in public... it was perfect because people didn't see that he was inflicting horrible amounts of Star Trek pain in full view of society. My favorite spectator sport is a parent arguing with their child in unrestrained tones at a supermarket. I start a little pool with my friends (limit of $5.00) and stick around until the outcome. Double or nothing on whether or not parent or child uses profanity. Much more amusing than rampant abuse of Costco karaoke machines. Haha.

Maybe I will put on a cape and start laying down the vulcan death grip on unsuspecting misbehaving children. We all have to contribute something, yeah?

A Trekkie would have known you were getting "THE GRIP."

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #11
Skoolie

Quote:

Haha. Nerd parenting for the '80s. Ahhhh...
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Engine: 3126

Quote:
Quote:

Haha. Nerd parenting for the '80s. Ahhhh...

Ha ha, my dad did the same thing. It would start out as a loving rub until I didn't get the hint. Then came the death grip.

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

https://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Quote:

Parents model behavior to their children and your dad was smart in finding a more subtle approach than what's all too common. Even while it's pissing them off, the kid being yelled at eventually learns, "This is what you do when you're angry at someone."

Until recently I worked as a greeter at a Home Depot and one mother with an unruly child said to me (on their second pass by my station), "Lucky you; you get to experience her twice." Totally inappropriate on her part; dragging in an uninvolved person. Not much I could do but frown. Nothing in the situation called for any intervention on my part. I was tempted to say, "Boys Town offers parenting classes." [Edit: I'm glad that I moved to the late-evening freight team. And that I don't work at a supermarket. Those seem to be the worst places for this kind of conflict.]

Witnessing a parent loudly threatening and insulting a child in a store evokes posttraumatic flashbacks in me. Seeing parents who don't teach children that stores aren't playgrounds...well, my feelings are the same as Crazycal's ("Yo! That $1800 lawn tractor is NOT a toy!").
Old 09-21-2013, 07:17 AM   #14
Bus Geek

several years ago I was in Wally world, this little shiat went up to one of the displays stacked near the aisle and pushed it over
I was pissed!!!
thinking what kind of par____!
momma grabbed the kid and proceeded to wear his rear end out.....

I later saw her in hand cuffs being taken out by 5-0....I asked what's up with that...the clerk said someone called the cops because she was beating and abusing her child......I said Bull Shiat!, he deserved the spanking....it wasn't abuse........
wow the looks I got from the younger parents...while the old guy beside me said, he was a little shiat and deserved it also
If I did something wrong I was reprimanded and didn't do it again; now sometimes I would do it again to see exactly what I did wrong and where the limit was....it was called learning...also don't start laughing at mom while she is spanking you...if she starts to cry...dad will take over when he gets back from work, that one only took one time to learn
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #15
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Chassis: Ward
Engine: 6.6L Brazilian Ford
Rated Cap: 1

For some reason I still remember this one too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
...also don't start laughing at mom while she is spanking you...if she starts to cry...dad will take over when he gets back from work, that one only took one time to learn

gus
gusbus is offline   Reply With Quote