Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2018, 08:58 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Hello and welcome. Sorry you are having trouble finding a bus. I checked those on Kijiji and wouldn't want either if it was me buying. To me they have no character and although painted half decent, not worth that kind of money. Not enough info upfront for me.

Check with all the school boards through the ministry of education if you can't find anything. There should be lots for sale now that school is out.
Mine was already registered so no problem insuring or licensing at all. And really reasonable insurance due to my good record and company loyalty to some extent. Everything I have is insured with them so....it pays to do business this way for me.
I had no idea it was that hard for buyers such as yourself.
I'm sure the right bus will come along and there is a lot more satisfaction in building to your standards and requirements.

Don't worry about driving it home, just do it kind of during periods when the time is best to avoid cops, traffic etc as they don't seem to bother buses at all from my experience.
Get it home before Oct, 17, lol

If you need help for anything, reach out. I'll drive it home for you. CAA also tows if you have RV Plus coverage, otherwise, you are looking at $185/hr here for towing. These are big trucks for towing buses etc so that's not a bad price for the use of the truck and operator. They are good at what they do.

John

Old 07-12-2018, 09:27 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
When commercial insurance is crazy expensive see if you can get on a monthly payment plan. Pay the up front 2-3 months to get the bus home and then cancel before your next payment. It may be the only way to legally get you home without paying through the nose for a full 6month or yearly policy.

Again, if you have auto insurance right now, see if your company covers you in any new/used vehicle you buy for a certain period, regardless of whether they would insure it as a bus. Most don't realize that they get home fully insured without having to do anything.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:16 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I can't comment on bus cost, title conversion, licensing and such in canada. Therefore I can't really comment on price either. If I had to choose between those two you listed, I'd choose the 6.6.

But here in the states, both of those options are about double what you should pay for a bus. An already converted bus is only worth what the items inside can be sold for, and neither bus listed has that much added value.
Booyah45828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:13 AM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

@ BlackJohn:
That's very nice of you to offer. But like I said, I don't have a space to leave it parked. I would have to move it periodically, and I wouldn't be comfortable with that if its not registered.

I'm still exploring all my options and maybe a fresh school could still be in the cards.

@o1marc:
Thanks for that tip. I will look into it and see if my current insurance would temporarily cover a new purchase.

@Booyah45828
I realize that converted buses usually ask for a higher price than the actual value. Especially when I would be ripping most of the interior to suit my needs.
Keep in mind this are Canadian dollars, so they are asking about USD$4.5 k, and there is always room for negotiation.

Still the advantage of this is that I can drive it to Home Depot during the day and work on it in the parking lot (I already asked them!), since I'm not doing big work on it, and then drive it home at night. I'll save a lot of money buy not having to rent a workshop/lot, and paying RV insurance for that period of time. That would quickly equal the cost of the bus within 3 months.

Why do you prefer the 6.6L?

I've been in contact with both sellers. The 7.3L is insulated, has a new secure door installed, very clean on rust, ac, and is painted... that's a bit of money that I would also save.

Thank you all so much, I'm going crazy here deciding what to do. I know that I'll probably have to make compromises since my situation is not ideal, I just don't want a bus that will leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere.
Buenaventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:20 AM   #25
Bus Geek

I didn't know the exchange rate was that large.

6.6 is a more durable engine then the 7.3, The price is 500 cheaper, and I would never own a black bus due to the heat from the sun.

You'd have better parts availability with the 7.3, whatever that is worth.

If the 7.3 has good upgrades, runs well, and is what you like, then buy it. I can't really recommend one or the other in good faith without being there in person to inspect.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:38 PM   #26
Bus Nut

The 7.3 turbo is a good engine- it won’t win at a speed contest but they are dependable and can do well as long as you don’t over rev them. V-8 diesels spins faster than a 6 Cyl. Feed them good fuel fresh filters and they will preform hard and well. My 85 had only 400,000 miles when I had it rebuilt.
Dirtdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 03:49 PM   #27

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Can't Remember
Chassis: International s1700
Engine: Navistar/International 7.3L (I think)
What about if the bus in question were 25-30 ft instead? 87 s1700, It's about 26 or 27 feet long if I remember correctly. I believe the transmission is an AT454 or maybe 525. Man I wish I had the bus here so I could check those numbers.
RiskGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 03:55 PM   #28
Almost There

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward Senator
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
This is good stuff! Learning a great deal about choosing a bus. Love it!

I decided to leave a Cummins 5.9L ISB, in a Thomas MVP Staf T Liner RE alone for the same reasons. I read that this engine is built for Dodge Rams. Not a powerful enough engine for a school bus when you want to hit mountains and such.

Keep searching and posting, and we will keep reading!
Revy
RevyRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:12 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
buena ventura

What if you found a bus in the 48 states and drove it home? how much of a hassle is that?
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:59 PM   #30

Check with Gerald King at Southern Bus and Truck parts in Alexandria,LA, 1-800-960-1960. His dad started the business he has a lifetime of experience. He was the only person in the country I could find to get help from on my 1968 Blubird B600. It is gas but I am sure he can help or lead you in the right direction. He knew my bus inside and out like the back of his own hand. Good luck!
Shortbusgirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:29 PM   #31
Bus Nut

I bought at auction public surplus.com flew out signed paperwork, received the last 5 yrs of maintenance records- pre tripped the bus- turned the key and drove from Kentucky to California 5 days ( my two daughters came with me and we had a crazy road trip).
Find a bus with under 150,000 miles- with a 6 cylinder diesel 466t. (400,000mile engine). Mine had 140,000 at 150,000 I spent $1800 - New rear main seal. But it’s been 3 yrs and I’m just now going to have to put new rubber on the fronts.
Allison 545 4 speed. But if you can get one with 3036 new world auto that’s a great transmission. For the long haul get the 6 Cyl diesel.

Cheers
Old 07-14-2018, 07:47 PM   #32
Almost There

Year: 1996
Coachwork: American Fire & Rescue
Chassis: IH 4900
Engine: DT466 250hp P-pump
I have a ‘92 IDI... in an f250. It’s a good engine... in an f250. I often wish for a bit more power... in my f250. Mine just turned 200k miles and, based on oil consumption, is due for a rebuild. Many have gotten more miles from their IDI’s, but 200k is past middle age.
You can get a little more power by turning up the pump, but over-fueling can burn valves (among other things). And it is only a little more power. Also, adding a heavier oil (ATF, 2-stroke, etc) to the diesel @ 1-10% ratio will add a little to power and mpg and lubricate the pump. A turbo would definitely help and would increase fuel economy, but on an already well used engine... is it worth $3-4K?
Also, I have a 5 sp, I’m guessing an automatic would eat even more power.
If you want a lot of IDI info try the forum OILBURNERS. These folks mostly love their IDI’s... in their pickups.
If the bus is close, check it out. If you aren’t in a hurry, have a lot of patience behind the wheel and drive like my dad you just might love the thing!
concrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:33 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

6.6 new Holland

Mines a 6.6 sorry. No they are not powehouses by any means but...... There is no more dependable engine. I am happy with mine in particular because I've owned three vehicles with these motors. One a winch truck which was in our family for twenty years it hauled everything from a dead horse fifty foot oaks to round bales from the barn.
The motor still runs and cranks but the frame rusted in two on the truck. Never once had a problem with it. Second was an old farm truck which I absolutely do not believe was the original motor but that old F350 hauled every length trailer loaded with every thinkable thing. That old truck is still puttering around. And the third was this old bus I have now. I turned down several other bus's with much more powerful motors because of the dependability of these old motors. Just talked to a couple guys these two motors are very closely related. Around 65 is comfortable for these engines and I'm comfortable with that. And I'm driving mine from Texas to Maine puddle jumping national parks. Just google these Ford New Holland bus motors you'll see many many people share my love of these motors.
Rastefaryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:50 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Exactly! I’m guessing someone can endure the slow speed. But I’d still hold out for a DT466.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:55 PM   #35
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevyRev View Post
This is good stuff! Learning a great deal about choosing a bus. Love it!

I decided to leave a Cummins 5.9L ISB, in a Thomas MVP Staf T Liner RE alone for the same reasons. I read that this engine is built for Dodge Rams. Not a powerful enough engine for a school bus when you want to hit mountains and such.

Keep searching and posting, and we will keep reading!
Revy
There are high rated 5.9's with 3060's behind them that make for an excellent rig.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:04 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buenaventura View Post
Thanks for your input.

When you guys say it will be a "dog" or "SLOW", what are we talking about? 60mph? 50mph? Like I said before, I'm not so concerned with speed, as long as I'm not causing accidents when merging onto the highway.

I am going to test drive it and that will probably answer a lot of my questions.

EDIT:

Also, would adding a turbo kit be a silly thing to do?

A turbo kit would have no effect on the power due to engine compression ratios, and this isn’t the same as a powerstroke engine or t444e... it’s non turbo as established above, that said I wouldn’t expect over 250k out of it in bus service and it will most likely drop to around 35 to 25 on a good hill... to much of a dog for what u want I’m sure
madtrucker12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:48 AM   #37
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buenaventura View Post
Thanks for your input.

When you guys say it will be a "dog" or "SLOW", what are we talking about? 60mph? 50mph? Like I said before, I'm not so concerned with speed, as long as I'm not causing accidents when merging onto the highway.

I am going to test drive it and that will probably answer a lot of my questions.

EDIT:

Also, would adding a turbo kit be a silly thing to do?
I have a 7.3IDI in a tow truck.
Yes test drive it.
They are very long lasting engines.

A turbo will help. For a idi the boost must be limited to 7 PSI.

If you plan tour of the Rocky Mountains You will climb slower but they will get the job done.

I’ve always said my tow truck will move a house, it just won’t break the speed limit at the same time.
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:58 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
I have a 7.3IDI in a tow truck.
Yes test drive it.
They are very long lasting engines.

A turbo will help. For a idi the boost must be limited to 7 PSI.

If you plan tour of the Rocky Mountains You will climb slower but they will get the job done.

I’ve always said my tow truck will move a house, it just won’t break the speed limit at the same time.
They last very long in trucks but don’t really hold up in stop and go bus service... most grenade around 200k I’d keep looking find something that is a little better and came with a turbo... never settle for less

Good luck
madtrucker12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:13 AM   #39
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtrucker12345 View Post
A turbo kit would have no effect on the power due to engine compression ratios,
I'm sorry, but that is completely wrong. Yes the compression ratios are higher due to being NA. But adding a turbo and increasing the fuel to match it will make a noticeable difference, even if it is putting out a measly 5 psi.

Like said prior, there is a boost limit on factory cylinder head bolts. Most say around 7-10 psi. If I was adding a turbo, I'd go ahead and install arp head studs. My thoughts are always to eliminate the problems created by changes before you have them.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:33 AM   #40
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
I'm sorry, but that is completely wrong. Yes the compression ratios are higher due to being NA. But adding a turbo and increasing the fuel to match it will make a noticeable difference, even if it is putting out a measly 5 psi.
Correct
What a turbo would do is to burn the fuel that would not normally get burned due to say higher elavations.

If you are ever up at 10,000 feet you WILL LOOSE 30% of your power IF you don’t have a turbo to compensate for the altitude.
(3% for each and every 1000 feet)
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote