Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2005, 03:20 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

It ain't no Skoolie but..

Found this Page on the web

http://www.robgray.com/motorhomes/index.htm

http://www.robgray.com/motorhomes/photos.htm

Man... that's some crazy conversion. I had the Idea of a 4x4 bus for a while but that thing is nuts, very clean, nicely done.

I wonder if it would just be cheaper to convert your Skoolie to 4x4 and lift it...
Anyone ever thought of this??

Dan-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 04:27 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8
Hey Dan,

I was thinking of covering my windows using sheet aluminum and using the 3M VHB tape to attach the sheet metal to my bus (I'm also putting in some rivets, just in case the tape fails).

Wish me luck.

Robert
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 08:15 PM   #3
Bus Nut

They are now using Sika Flex to hold the skin on most new buses and truck trailers. I have never used it but have heard good stuff about it. The cost is not pretty and you have to use their cleaner solvent or it won't stick.

http://www.sikaindustry.com/ind/ipd-transoem-body
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 02:12 AM   #4
Skoolie

Send a message via ICQ to Firearm Send a message via AIM to Firearm
That was the part that I was wondering about...what if the tape gives up. Won't the side panels go flying off? Seems a bit risky to me to attach them all with just 2 faced foam tape.
Firearm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 10:01 PM   #5
Bus Nut

The Sika is not a tape. It comes in tubes like caulking. I have heard of a couple of people that had the skins fall off. They did admit though that they did not use the $ika cleaner/primer first. The stuff has to be applied just as the instructions say or you will have problems. Personally I am going to get a school bus that was factory assemballed with rivets. I don't mind adding a few more to skin over a few windows. Plus $12 a tube for a high end glue is way too much more simple old me.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 10:25 AM   #6
Skoolie

Send a message via ICQ to Firearm Send a message via AIM to Firearm
No, I was talking about the WORT. It looked like they only used two-faced foam tape. The panels are pretty good sized and I would hate to see the damage they would cause if they flew off at highway speed. They would be like a large knife flying through the air.
Firearm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 01:27 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Yep... seems as though you are right... I had never noticed that but he is using double sided VHB. According to 3M the stuff holds like "Welds" but the thing is, once you set your piece in place, there is no "Tack time" so it sets up 20% just when you join the 2 pieces, so there is no room for error... at this point you need an air chisel to remove it, destroying your piece in the process. Once you clamp it down... your pretty much committed to where the piece is.

Sounds solid, but I agree with you Firearm. Seems like the guy has a lot riding on just "double sided tape"... no matter what it is.

Personally I think I would have just taken the time to do some good quality watertight welds... (that's just me).
Dan-O is offline   Reply With Quote