Old 02-14-2009, 07:14 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: Jacking Up The Bus For Tire Change

If'n you want to take a dry run at changing your tires make sure you can get the duals apart. Every so often I get an R.O. to do a tire rotation on a motorhome and let me tell you...it's never a good time. More than once I have had to use the portapower with a wedge apparatus between the duals while alternating sledge hammer blows from side to side to get those suckers apart. Once they do come they come with a bang. Daytons come apart much easier assuming you don't have stuck wedges or a stuck spacer between them. The wedges can be knocked loose with the hammer once you get the nut broken loose, but LEAVE THE NUT ON THERE. You don't want to know how violently those things can come off. As for the spacers...well...hammer and pry, hammer and pry.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:30 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

With Budds: if the rims touch (there are all sorts of designs out there), coat the area where they do with Never-Seize...do NOT get any on the lugs! Also, antiseize where the inner dual (or front rim) touches the hub is a good idea. It took three people & a very large prybar to get one of my inner duals off.

A good 1/2" impact will get the lugs off. No China Freight junk, think Chicago Pneumatic, Ingersoll-Rand, or Snap-On. Feed it 120+psi from a BIG tank through large-diameter hoses & fittings. Mine (a Snap-On) popped loose all the lugs on my bus.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:34 AM   #13
Bus Nut

for siezed budds i use a heavy drift pin and hammer, drift pin is about 1 1/2" dia x 18 or 20" long, hammer is a 12# sledge with the handle cut off @ 18", if the rims don't come loose from the hub, install 2 lug nuts loosly, then use the drift and hammer to impact straight in on the wheel between the lug studs usually 3 or 4 well placed blows are all it takes to free the wheels up. (don't tap around with the drift, haul off and hit it a good lick, move a third of the way around the wheel and hit it again) what you are trying to do is to flex the mating surfaces enough to release the rust.

on dayton wheels loosen the lug nuts and then hit the wheel on the id at the outside flange to pop the wedges then remove the nuts and wedges and wheel, the spacer on duals should be able to be flexed enuff with the hammet to loosen them for removal.

hint; if you're not a professional tireman it is easiest to use a scoop shovel to lift,lever the tire assembly up onto the hub

observation; most good tire professionals have forearms like Popeye.

final advice; only a torque wrench can tell you how tight your lugs are, to tight or to loose means damaged parts.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:16 PM   #14
Bus Nut

you probably won't feel much either way, and both are messy to clean up
Old 02-15-2009, 10:55 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul iossi
you probably won't feel much either way, and both are messy to clean up
Old 02-24-2009, 03:00 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1974
Coachwork: CARPENTER
Chassis: GMC-6000
Engine: 454 CHEVY
Rated Cap: 66

I bot a 3/4 inpacked gun from napa.
and for popping the beed on my
1971 four wheel drive I use my
high lift jack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Haws_0101.jpg (7.1 KB, 173 views)

the BEAST, 350, 4 sm465, np205,
hd d44 4.56, eaton ff 4.56
CAMO-MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:29 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Now THAT'S what I call a jack!

Why air up a tire that needs to come off the rim anyway?

I keep trying to tell youse guys that tire work is better left to pros. Somewhere around here I must have described the "air cannon" that they use to seat tires.

The goop you are probably thinking of is a lubricant that is used with car tires, to get the tire past the safety hump on the rim. No such hump on our rims.
Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:05 PM   #18
Almost There

Year: 92
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

the "goop" is a soap based lubricant specific to the purpose your local auto parts store should be able to sell you a container-DO NOT use grease though it will do the job it will cause rapid deterioration of the tire. if you get the bead blaster or "air cannon" (your parts store will likely have one of them also) there will be no need for the "goop", of course if you're feeling lucky there is the ether method you can find video's of on youtube but I suggest avoiding that.
bbbrt76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:37 PM   #19
Bus Nut

the goop is murphy's oil soap, the tire stores buy it in 5 gal buckets or 55 gal drums, yes its the same stuff that you get at the grocery store in the plastic jar.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:43 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Mightybus, Good Grief -- if I am that good at fooling people, I ought to take a job on Wall Street!

Good point about finding the leak. Statistically, you will probably find a nail in there, but maybe not. See, you are already thinking better than I am.

I very much respect your desire to be self-sufficient in this matter. "Do your own thing", yes!

To post pictures.... Looks like you already have them hosted on a site where they are always available. That was the first step.

Next, you copy the address to the picture (select with mouse click, then hit Control + C).

Then you paste that (Control + V) into the posting form. BUT first you must click on "Img" above, and then you paste the address in the middle of that.

Some photo hosts can do the "Img" thing automatically. On Photobucket you copy the fourth version of the addresses listed under each picture -- that one already has the "Img" thing.

Experiment with the "preview" button.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote