Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2015, 02:04 PM   #21

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
Either bring with you or pick up along the way:
  • A big roll of duct tape to keep things from moving that shouldn't
  • A big can of WD40 to get moving stuff that isn't
  • A 1/2" and a 9/16" combination wrench, a pair of slip joint pliers, a crescent wrench, a hammer, a standard and a Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of diaganol cutter pliers
  • A roll/length of 12-14 wire and an assortment of splices and the tool to crimp them
  • Extra fluids--motor oil, ATF, coolant
  • Extra fuel filters
  • Infrared thermometer
Once you are on your way the first stop you need to make is to top off your fuel and have the air pressure checked in all of your tires.

Do NOT allow the fuel to get below half tank on the gauge or go more than 200 miles before refilling the tank. When you are dealing with a vehicle you don't know and you don't know how long it has been sitting you do not want to suck anywhere close to the bottom of the tank. Going down the road and sloshing everything around is going to stir up plenty of crud and corruption. You don't want all of that crud and corruption to get concentrated into just a few gallons on the bottom of the tank.

Do not attemt to keep up with traffic, particularly if you have any question about the tires.

Stop quite often while first starting out so you can check with your infrared thermometer the actual temps of everything. OEM gauge sets are notorious for only reading within a range and not exactly telling you precise readings. Once you determine what the gauges are telling you is actually what is going on you won't need to worry unless the gauges start reading outside of what is normal for that bus.

Check the temps of all of the tires at ever stop. All of the tires should be within 10*-20* of each other. The tires on the sunny side will be warmer than those on the shady side. As long as they are all within a few degrees of each other and the warmest one is under 120* you should be good to go.

If any of the tires are running over 120* you may have a tire getting ready to fail. Recheck the tire pressure. If it is low refill it and know you may have to stop again to refill. Regardless of the air pressure I would slow down if any tire is running over 120*. The hotter the ambient temp is the hotter the tires will run. But regardless, slow down if the tires are over 120*

Very good information. I was going to post the exact same stuff...tomorrow. If you are flying, much of these items can be picked up for cheap at wallyworld so you don't need to drag it on the plane. I NEVER go anywhere without my single burner propane stove and a few gallon jugs of water. Coffee, hot chocolate can be made anywhere along the way without having to find a spot to park. Wallyworld also has a small cast iron skillet for about $10. Remember to stay hydrated.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:03 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
. . . Remember to stay hydrated.
"Ask [him] how [he] knows . . . ."
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 01:49 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear View Post
"Ask [him] how [he] knows . . . ."
Please don't remind me. I think I suffered some permanent brain damage from that trip.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 03-28-2015, 08:39 AM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Ok folks, just wanted to do a quick update, made it home this morning - 2:20 am

took me 3 minutes to back it in, I was so drunk with stress and lack of sleep....but here she sits.

It's christmas morning so I am gonna go unwrap her, take some more pics and video for the "BEFORE", so I will post more later today/evening.

Thanks again for all the help - you folks are awesome

dredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:00 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
You made it!! ;)

The first of many obstacles have been overcome.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:13 AM   #26

That's a very nice bus. Short wheelbase and about 30 feet. Perfect. Very similar to my International. Congrats.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 03-28-2015, 05:42 PM   #27

Year: 1983
Engine: 429 4V
Good Sams doesn't work with buses. They say they do, they take your money and then when your in trouble on the side of the road... they tell you they don't. Buyer beware. Happened to me last fall.
Large Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:55 PM   #28
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Honey Badger RV Co
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 74
Looks like a great bus. Made the trip without any problems ? Sounds boring, just the way I like it.
wauto is offline   Reply With Quote