Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2008, 09:39 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 8.2L Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 54
Keeping food in my bus this winter.

I have finished my kitchen cabinets in my bus and I now have a fully stocked kitchen. However, I am wondering how well do canned soups, fruits and veggies do in freezing temps? I would like to keep canned food in the bus at all times, but if they will freeze and burst the can then obviously I won't. Any experiences or suggestions on this matter?

-Adam

arfisher83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:35 PM   #2
Skoolie

Re: Keeping food in my bus this winter.

I am employed at infant formula processing plant. I think it is safe to say that can soup is some what alike as far as storage and temperatures. Certainly, cans of liquid product will burst under the freezing point. Its a question of how much under freezing and for how long.

The real problem has to do with the food contents and what happens when it freezes. With liquid products like what my factory makes, the oils and/or fats tend to separate when it approaches freezing. Therefore making it unusable for normal consumption.

In a nutshell, don't let your can foods freeze.
Train-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:46 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I agree with train...freezing affects both the taste and texture of things.
letz4wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:36 AM   #4
Bus Nut

what they said^^^^.

A can may or may not have flexibility enough to survive freezing, but, if they do, you probably won't want to eat what's in them next summer.

Here's an idea. FInd out for yourself. Put a can of something in a ziplock bag and put it in the freezer for a few days. If it pops, the bag will contain the mess. If it doesn't pop, take it out, throw it in the fridge for a few days, then back to the freezer. After repeating this cycle a few times, attempt to eat it. I predict that it will suck.

I would recommend that you round all that stuff up in a container, bring it in the house and use it.
pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:35 AM   #5
Skoolie

Beware if your in bear country. My bus just got broken into by a local black bear for a pre hibernation feast!
Old 09-22-2008, 09:30 PM   #6
Almost There

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 8.2L Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 54

Thanks for the tips. Makes sense. Just a silly question.
arfisher83 is offline   Reply With Quote