Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2008, 10:54 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Kid tries to scam a shop for $16k worth of work

Maybe I'm just extra sensitive to this type of stuff because I do aftermarket type work on vehicles, but this blows me away. I could get in to a long rant about how my generation fails to work for things, has a sense of entitlement, etc, but I will refrain.

Instead...read up and enjoy. Feel free to show some support. If it were to get to the point that a board full of school bus conversionists were to support this guy I think the overwhelming support could help the shop. If the shop wins I think they will be reimbursed what they WORKED for and a deserving charity will get a good kick in the pants on the heels of a scammer.

http://www.joedono.info

edited the link cause I can't type sometimes.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:18 AM   #2
Hex
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird, Model 3800
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 42
Re: Kid tries to scam a shop for $16k worth of work

I think it's here:

http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/ge...a-scammer.html
Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:37 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Yep, and thank God for the lien. I just feel sorry for the shop. While they might get mostly reimbursed for their work there is nothing that is going to compensate them for their losses when it comes to overhead, legal fees, etc. Other than what appears to be a global online automotive movement.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:16 PM   #4
Bus Nut

What kind of shop does $16,000 worth of work on a car with no money down from the customer? I've worked in a few dealership service departments and if someone wanted that kind of work done they typically have to put at least 1/2 down.

I have not read all 51 pages of that thread but from the first page, that's the first red flag this story raises with me.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:35 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14

It's now at 88 pages and I maybe read 12 of them only by skipping a lot of them since most of them are "good luck" and "sent you $5" type posts.

Shops doing that much work isn't unheard of without a down payment. It usually don't happen with smaller shops though.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:16 PM   #6
Bus Geek

The whole $16,000 isn't just in materials. Sure, a good chunk of that IS materials, especially when you're working with exotic paints, carbon fiber, etc, but I think a huge chunk of that $16,000 is just labor. So why should that matter if they don't have much of a cash outlay on the project? Because those billable hours could have been billed to someone that will pay.

I agree, at some point it got out of hand and the shop probably should have reined in the customer a little, but I can understand the passion that goes in to a project like that. It might not be your car, but it is your project and it can swallow you alive.

That said...the kid owes the shop $16,000. More interesting than that is just how amazingly fast this story spread. The internet is a powerful new tool to say the least.