Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2019, 06:22 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
kind of exciting

Think I may have found the bus I'm looking for - 35 or 36 feet long, 66 passenger - 97 466E and 5 speed transmission - quite a few miles on it ( 200,000 K miles ) but SUPER clean - owned by a private, now retired, contract driver for a school board - bus hasn't moved since he retired in June and at that time the safety check was still good - bus looks as if it was his baby - both inside the bus and under the hood is spotless - he apologised that some of the seats are patched and you can see in the pictures that someone took the time to make a few very neatly done patches - tires may pass BC regulations for the next year or two - no rust showing in the pictures - he agreed on $1900 US as a price he will accept - now it's a matter of figuring out how to get away for 2 or 3 maybe 4 days to go see it, and if it's like I think it is, bring it home - ( the trip could be easily done in 2 days, but if I didn't take the time to stop and see family and friends along the way, I'd be taking a lot of flack - lol ) - I still need to find out the rear end ratio

Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 06:33 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
As far as I can find, the maximum legal length for a single vehicle in Alaska is 45'.

You may have some challenges getting a 65 foot long bus on the road Legally.

Here in Washington State, we have similar regulations. There is an exception for transit agencies that accommodates the 60'+ articulated buses. Sucks! I wanted one
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 06:38 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

typo, should have read 35 or 36 feet long
Old 02-03-2019, 07:13 PM   #4
Bus Geek

I'm guessing that it has a DT466?
Old 02-03-2019, 07:14 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
It's halfway between a T444E and a T466E. it's a hybrid!
Old 02-03-2019, 07:30 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

yeah, another typo - supposed to say 466E
Old 02-03-2019, 09:18 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Sounds like a good deal to me. A driver will take better care of the bus if its theirs. The transmission and rear end ratios would be good to know.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:20 PM   #8
Bus Geek

DT-466 with a 5 speed would be sweet.

Sounds like you may have found a good one.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:39 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Sounds like a nice rig

Handyman and Shenaniganizer
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/97...ion-22324.html
Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:52 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

I've been searching for a bus for little over 3 months now - wasn't 'SURE' what I wanted at first, so I looked at a lot of them, different sizes, some partially camperized, some just across the street from me, some 1500 miles away, but this is the first bus that really caught my eye - anyone that makes a living with a vehicle that keeps it as clean as this one is, very likely pays attention to how well it's being serviced as well - I'd rather it had a 5 speed automatic, maybe a few less miles, but on my budget, if it's as good as it seems to be, I doubt I can do better
Old 02-05-2019, 07:39 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
I've been searching for a bus for little over 3 months now - wasn't 'SURE' what I wanted at first, so I looked at a lot of them, different sizes, some partially camperized, some just across the street from me, some 1500 miles away, but this is the first bus that really caught my eye - anyone that makes a living with a vehicle that keeps it as clean as this one is, very likely pays attention to how well it's being serviced as well - I'd rather it had a 5 speed automatic, maybe a few less miles, but on my budget, if it's as good as it seems to be, I doubt I can do better
Mileage is one of the most misleading facts/stats in the world. We have line vehicles that after 4 yrs only have 25k on them....but they have 3.9billions hours, tons of stop starts, likely 1500 burnouts, etc etc.
If the guy has the pride in the state of his vehicle then I would be less worried about the mileage.
however that being said, like I tell everyone I talk to here about sleds, quads, and trucks......it's a crap shoot I bought an older sled and it has only given me minor issues, the guy two doors down bought one for 4 times as much that is 8 yrs newer than mine and he lost the bottom end before Christmas...

I wouldn't be worried about the mileage and sticks are fun

Handyman and Shenaniganizer
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/97...ion-22324.html
Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:12 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
If the bus was well maintained - as it sounds like it was - the 200,000 miles should not be an issue - My bus had 297,000 miles on it when I bought it - and I have added 38,000 miles since I bought it. Just keep that engine happy.

I hope to see pictures of that bus soon!
Old 02-05-2019, 09:13 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

I know how that works - we need a reliable snowmobile here and my old one was starting to bug us with minor issues - it looked terrible with torn seat, broken windshield and cracked cowling - the reverse was no longer repairable and the starter was so worn that it wouldn't engage, so I broke down in 2015 and made a good deal on a 'still in the crate new' 2014 heavy duty workhorse of a machine ( we use a snowmobile mostly as a work machine ) - it's a luxury to drive, but the damned thing has already cost more in repairs than my old decrepit green one cost when I bought it, and if I bothered to take the mouse nests out of the intake filter and changed the plugs, it would still run strong enough to groom some more trails - lol - it is a crapshoot for sure
Old 02-05-2019, 09:15 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
I know how that works - we need a reliable snowmobile here and my old one was starting to bug us with minor issues - it looked terrible with torn seat, broken windshield and cracked cowling - the reverse was no longer repairable and the starter was so worn that it wouldn't engage, so I broke down in 2015 and made a good deal on a 'still in the crate new' 2014 heavy duty workhorse of a machine ( we use a snowmobile mostly as a work machine ) - it's a luxury to drive, but the damned thing has already cost more in repairs than my old decrepit green one cost when I bought it, and if I bothered to take the mouse nests out of the intake filter and changed the plugs, it would still run strong enough to groom some more trails - lol - it is a crapshoot for sure
Its the general quality of manufacturing. My 2013 Subaru I bought new is easily the worst built vehicle I've ever owned and uses more oil than my bus.
Guess I'm gonna be sticking to old fashioned stuff.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote