Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2016, 06:14 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 366
Rated Cap: 36
Leaking oil pan 366 Chevy engine-looking for new pan

Hi all- repaired some leaking pin holes on my 366 Chevy engine. Appear to be holding ok for now but in the market for a new/used pan. Someone told me that all pans for Chevy big blocks are the same. Can anyone confirm. Any leads on where I might be able to get a back up. Thank you, freebyrd.

freebyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:08 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
if all big block pans are alike and you want a new one.. check out even your local NAPA or autozone.. and of course hot rod places like summit and jegs .. they usually have some economy level pans.. im not sure if a 366 is the same pan as a 396 / 454 (the standard hotrodder big blocks)..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:51 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 366
Rated Cap: 36
Thank you. I will check these places out.
freebyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:06 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
There's more to it then just bolting in a big block oil pan. The capacity is a large part as is the height. I'd check to see what you have first and compare it to what they're selling.

The pickup to pan distance is what's important and I'd get the largest volume you can fit, as long as it's not less then what you currently have.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:10 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the capacity in my old bus with a 454HD in it was 9 quarts.. 8+ 1 for the filter... you can definitely buy high capacirty pans... I did it for my hotrods.. also in a gas motor id install an external oil cooler if it doesnt have one.. I did it on my 454HD pretty easily..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:52 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Also something I learned along time ago the hard way is that even though you have a 366 in the bus does not necessarily mean that it was the original 366 in that bus?
Long story short chevy played around with the oil dip stick holsters between car/truck and year models?
I bought an old short bed chevy with a 396 and after some tune up it ran like it was supposed but the rear main seal was leaking so I said no problem.
The rear main seal was easy but what I found out was the previous mechanic had used enough gasket sealer to make a gasket for the wrong pan on the motor for the dip stick holster.
Of course when I dropped the pan I bought a new gasket that wasn't right and at the time this was my daily driver so many quarts of oil leaks, many a tube of sealer and 4 times putting the oil pan in? I ended up having to make a template of the pan mating surface on the bottom of the block to match something. Ended up I had a 67,8 block out of a car and they put the dipstick in different positions depending on the vehicle they went in.
All the bolt holes matched but the stick hole didn't. Brand new pan and a high dollar re-usable gasket and I was happy to spend that money cause that was my last leak and damn if that motor didn't fight it.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote