Old 05-28-2014, 04:51 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Let's talk tools!

I actually used to have a business with my dad sharpening drill bits. I can't really weigh in on the drill doctor, as we had grinders with jigs, etc... to sharpen the bits, but they really aren't that hard to sharpen by hand, if your eyes are good. I would trust that, personally, over the drill doctor, as it looked like more of a toy, to me, lol... The reason they don't last as long is probably because the drill dr. puts too steep of an angle on them, or better put, too much back relief. The cutting edge is then "thinner" or steeper, so to speak. You also can't heat them up too much, If they discolor, you basically just toasted it.

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:10 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Her, me and Molly

Quote:
There are no bad tools if the tool does any job.
Many years ago, when I was in my 30's I was offered a job for so much money I couldn't refuse. I sold my shop and went to work for them. It was basically a rich guys playground. He had hired the best talent from all over. I was the lead mechanic and the oldest guy in the shop. I rolled in there with my puny little Craftsman tool box filled with a hodge podge of whatever tools I had accumulated over the years. The other guys had these HUGE roll away tool boxes, mostly from"that expensive truck that comes around to the shop and offers easy time payments" . I was in awe, not only of the vast amount of tools they had, but also how much they spent on them. Guess who they came to to see if I had or could make some tool to get at, or do something special? Since I hadn't really paid much for my tools, it really didn't bother me much to cut, weld, grind and bend one. I still enjoy making and modifying my own "special" tools. Back then I didn't like Craftsman, the chrome didn't stay on very well.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:22 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa
Quote:
There are no bad tools if the tool does any job.
Many years ago, when I was in my 30's I was offered a job for so much money I couldn't refuse. I sold my shop and went to work for them. It was basically a rich guys playground. He had hired the best talent from all over. I was the lead mechanic and the oldest guy in the shop. I rolled in there with my puny little Craftsman tool box filled with a hodge podge of whatever tools I had accumulated over the years. The other guys had these HUGE roll away tool boxes, mostly from"that expensive truck that comes around to the shop and offers easy time payments" . I was in awe, not only of the vast amount of tools they had, but also how much they spent on them. Guess who they came to to see if I had or could make some tool to get at, or do something special? Since I hadn't really paid much for my tools, it really didn't bother me much to cut, weld, grind and bend one. I still enjoy making and modifying my own "special" tools. Back then I didn't like Craftsman, the chrome didn't stay on very well.

When I was a teen, I worked at a Ferrarri shop for about 15 minutes. The boss was the biggest Swiss asshat that I had met. I was the resident slave.

One day the Snap On truck showed up. My boss hopped on the truck and asked if he had a wrench that was shaped like this and bent like that. The Snap On guy looked at him and said, "NO". So my boss bought a box wrench that cost a half days wages and took it to the vise. He cut one end off and hit it with a torch. He bent it one way then another. After that he went to the grinder. When he was done, he held it up with pride. I was amazed. I had never thought of doing something like that before. I was 17 at the time and new to cars. So the lesson for the day children, if they don't make a tool that you need, make one yourself.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:20 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
So the lesson for the day children, if they don't make a tool that you need, make one yourself.
That was something my late father, a mechanic for well over 50 years, used to do as well.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:30 PM   #15

team RED Milwaukee all the way. been an electrician for 20 years i had them all ..left a drill on the bumper of my Jeep. and ran it over @ 60 MPH with the tire then slapped it up under the body. went back some pieces were missing. and been using it for the last 6 months no problem lol love me some RED. i hear Rigid has a life time warranty ... but IMHO Milwaukee makes there stuff so good you don't need a warranty like....
Lord-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote