Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2014, 08:09 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Leveling blocks

Ok, Ok everyone. You can bicker back and forth as long as I get something out of it. I value what everyone inputs here in this forum. Even you Lorna, no matter what other here say. I don't know anything and I’m getting far into my build with this little bit of knowledge. So you two know it alls help me here. I will consider what you say and do it my way. Usually it is a compromise between the best and what I can do with the budget I have.

I bought four 7500 lb 24” screw jacks, but from my frame to my skirting is 27“. So my jacks won’t even come down past the skirting. How do I make up the diff from 24” to the ground? I will measure this weekend to see how far but I say at least another 24”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart
get the socket that goes into a cordless drill, makes it much better to raise and lower
gbstewart
You will be proud, I got the socket thet goes into the cordless drill.

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

https://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:15 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt
I see a bent frame in your future
Not sure I get the logic behind this.. The jacks are lifting the same weight that the springs on the axles are lifting. If a jack could bend the frame, wouldn't driving the bus on uneven ground be applying the same forces and also be able to bend the frame? I can tell you from experience that having one wheel in a ditch and the others on the road did not bend my frame!
Of course, directly above the axles the frame has cross-members, which adds strength to those spots. Luckily, there are cross-members all along the frame rails. The jacks should be mounted on the frame at a cross-member.
I dunno.. I'll be going that route eventually. I have absolutely no concern about it.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:10 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

nat, regarding PS. Lets see, I began my bus project in April of 2012 when I joined the forum--so that is just over 2 years and my conversion is done. I know you haven't followed my build as you told us all here on Skoolie that you had no interest in that kind of bus build so it is no surprise that you didn't know. Now that it is done I think that along with adding some BLING here and there I'll change the color to match my TOAD. Well, you wouldn't know about the TOAD. It is a chassis up restoration of an old woodie wagon--I even replaced the wood with the proper white ash material. I did the Toad concurrently with the bus. I now look forward to traveling and the car show circuit as a pass time. To dispel further assertions on your part, I do all of my own work with the exception of tire mounting and chrome plating and a bit of spray glue carpet installation to avoid the glue fumes though I can do those things as well. As to the wreck your life suffered, knock on ANY door and you will find trouble. The rest of us here on Skoolie (myself included) have suffered grave set backs over the last couple of years and we all (including you) will carry on.

There are a bunch of very talented people here on Skoolie and if you want to stand out you better get cracking--and that requires more than telling everyone else what to do.
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:11 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

For those who are curious...
viewtopic.php?t=12475 Old Trunt's build thread, mutilated by the transition from the old servers to the new servers.

http://www.nomadicista.org/viewtopic.ph ... 36f9ef4693 Old Trunt's Nomadista build thread

Why would anyone have a problem with a build thread not being on skoolie.net?
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:25 PM   #25
Bus Geek

That is one of the most bizarre diatribes I have ever read--but it is just what I expected--are you French Canadian or something?
Old 06-14-2014, 08:05 AM   #26
Skoolie

Year: 1977
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: C/60
Engine: 350 V8
Rated Cap: 54

There is a ton of very useful information on this site and the number of experienced people on here is nothing short of amazing. That being said, I'm not much for drama and arguing and it doesn't add ANYTHING to the threads it is a part of. I don't know any of you personally so when I say knock it off and grow up, it certainly doesn't stem from some sort of personal dislike of anyone on here.

Say what you will about me, if you'd like some ammo against my build I guess you could pick on the paint job, or the not quite perfect miter joints, or any number of things. None of that will add anything to this thread, or any thread for that matter. I'm on a number of forums and it seems like all of them have a few that have a need to make the wonderful forum experience into something that absolutly chases people away when they constantly have their threads crapped on with arguing and other unrelated BS.

To answer your leveling block question, I too have purchased 4 7,500k scissor jacks and will be mounting them directly under the frame. I've used 1x6's and 2x6's so far with the bus and although effective, it's very clumsy and they take up a lot of space.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:53 AM   #27
Bus Geek

What we need is perfectly level parking lots and perfectly level sites. So in a perfect world.....

The parking lots are adaptable. Just park to where the slope is least noticable (side to side rather than front to back). So far, our parking & sites have been fairly level. Except when we parked in Elizabethton. That was in the steeply sloping back yard of the house we were working on. Bansil can probably attest that the hillside behind Primo's is a tad steep. We jacked up the driver's side tires 18"+ off the ground. Only good place to park the RV though. I do miss Primo's Spicy Chicken and those garlic knots! When we get back east, we may have to wander up that way just to get some.

We always put a piece of wood down to act as a landing pad. Keeps the foor of the jack clean and spreads the weight a little on hot asphalt or sand/gravel sites.

BTW, Currently, I'm looking at pneumatic long ram jacks. We have an air compressor that fits up under the bus so pneumatic is a logical choice for us.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:33 PM   #28
Bus Geek

This is our current little air compressor. It fits up under the bus skirting. Our last one was stolen. You do not know everything that you think you know. And you SERIOUSLY don't think I pay any attention to what you say?

DEWALT
Model # D55146
4.5-Gal. Portable Electric Air Compressor

Old 06-15-2014, 09:11 AM   #29
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International

30,000 pound bus
I had mine weighed and it was only 8500kgs (about 18,700 pounds) that's with full fuel, half full holding tanks, and full propane, most of our gear with 3 people in it.
might be a ideal to have your bus at the scales just to see what you really weigh so you get the right size jacks.
gbstewart
Old 06-15-2014, 09:15 AM   #30
Bus Crazy

lorna, nice compressor, did you permanently mount it between the skirt and frame? if so how did you do it ?
tks
gbstewart
Old 06-15-2014, 11:00 PM   #31
Bus Geek

nat, perhaps you could clarify your thoughts as to why the "little compressor" that Lorna speaks of won't work. If you'll include remarks including CFM's, static pressure and valving for example, your comments will help folks understand how it is you know all about pneumatics (and probably hydrolics) and why the little compressor won't work etc.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:34 PM   #32
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Rated Cap: 36

This thread is turning into all sorts of fun
Old 06-16-2014, 09:03 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Old 06-17-2014, 06:23 PM   #34
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

Ok Ok,,, Group Hug
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:02 PM   #35
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by allwthrrider
Ok Ok,,, Group Hug
Properly edited

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:24 PM   #36
Bus Crazy

is it just me, or did anyone else notice that some ones posts have disappeared ?
gbstewart
Old 06-24-2014, 10:42 PM   #37
Skoolie

Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E

I think he may have been banned. I missed his recent posts.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:08 PM   #38
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooternj
Sometimes it makes you wonder about people.
Yesterday or the day before, I saw a pickup truck parked behind an empty 12-wheel dump truck at a stop sign on a slope. Traffic was going out and around them. The drivers' doors were marked with the same company.

A couple of people were sitting or standing by the guide rail, and someone (a mechanic?) was crouched between the dump truck and the pickup, talking on a flip-phone. I noticed that there was a bottle jack underneath near the rear pumpkin, and I could not be sure if he was trying to lift the rear axle.

There was not a chock block behind any one of the 8 tires I could see (with no load, the middle 2 tires were in the air). If I were a cop, and called to investigate the dump truck rolling back and executing the cell phone user, I would write it up as a suicide and not an accident.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:16 PM   #39
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooternj
Sometimes it makes you wonder about people.
Yesterday or the day before, I saw a pickup truck parked behind an empty 12-wheel dump truck at a stop sign on a slope. Traffic was going out and around them. The drivers' doors were marked with the same company.

A couple of people were sitting or standing by the guide rail, and someone (a mechanic?) was crouched between the dump truck and the pickup, talking on a flip-phone. I noticed that there was a bottle jack underneath near the rear pumpkin, and I could not be sure if he was trying to lift the rear axle.

There was not a chock block behind any one of the 8 tires I could see (with no load, the middle 2 tires were in the air). If I were a cop, and called to investigate the dump truck rolling back and executing the cell phone user, I would write it up as a suicide and not an accident.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:29 AM   #40
Bus Geek

Back on topic my skoolie-ites

So we use a combo of 2x6 wood and mostly fiberglass grating that has 10 grit texture on one side

These are scrap from when Lisa worked at fibergrate 15 hrs ago.

They are made to replace/upgrade steel catwalks, check out local fiberglass shops...because you might luck out, shipping would be a killer

If ground is soft, wood goes down first, then fiberglass they are both about 1-1/2 thick and as wide as the rear duals....I will not put all the wt on one tire(even though they could probably handle the wt I want the friction/traction and stability of two tires on the ground)

I reckon i need a picture for this thread....give me a few hrs or days....waiting to go into chair soon
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote