Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
lightweight "box"

http://edgewoodchembio.blogspot.ca/2...nnovative.html

Ran across this. Sounds like an interesting idea to use as the enclosure for the water bays. In our case, the water tanks (fresh, grey and black) are strapped to the bus and we need an insulated box to protect the tanks from damage. This method sounds like a winner... lightweight and omits the heavy plywood we were planning on using. Gotta show this to David. I wonder if the roll on truck bed liner would work the same. Build the box, coat it with the liner, strap it up in place (since it's lightweight we could use that plastic plumber strap), spray canned foam in the remaining openings then spray canned truck bed liner over the dried canned foam to protect it.

We could do this for the water bays, fluid heater for the hydronic heat (no insulation or outer case on old tank) generator box, air compressor box. Anything heavy we have will be mounted to the bus itself and then boxed in. If the boxes are durable enough, we may use the same method to build a storage bay and add a piece of plywood to the floor of the box. Plywood & lumber just keeps going up. I'm upping the prices on them every week. Those are the departments I have had the most price changes in recently. They go up not down.

Also read where some guy thinks Gorilla Glue is best he had used for gluing foam board together. Must spray one side with water before mating surfaces. Here's the link to the thread. Thought some of you might enjoy it. Good idea for building a light weight cargo hauler.

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: lightweight "box"

You know, maybe that truck bed liner would be a good thing to paint my old blue tote with. Protect it from rotting away due to the sun. I have it stored in a shed right now since we don't need it, but have to take it with us when we leave here.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

Really cool concept! I wonder how well it holds up to fluid weight, which would constantly shift while driving? Although, come to think of it, spraying truck bed liner inside a tank built with baffles to slow the motion down would be much easier than trying to lay fiberglass inside the same structure ... which would make building a customized grey tank much easier than I originally thought. The exterior can still be fiberglass. And if one were truly paranoid, the exterior could still be covered in the truck bed liner.

Cool, useful info as usual. Thanks for sharing!
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:12 PM   #4
Bus Geek

I don't know how it would hold up to the forces of liquid sloshing around. I don't know how water tight it would be. I do know that Rustoleum sells a can of spray stuff like the leak stop stuff they show on TV (spray screen door in the bottom of the boat and it doesn't leak). It's in a wing stack in the roofing dept at work. I wonder if that would work. Haven't read the can to see if it will hold up to being under water 24/7. Like I said, our tanks would be mounted to the bus frame itself. We figured to build insulated boxes around the tankage. It would have been (inside out) Foam board sheathing, Plywood then paint (possibly rolled on Rustoleum truck bed coating). So now, dump the plywood and replace paint with a few layers of truck bed coating. We will be giving this a try later this summer. We need to get the tanks collected up (grey tanks cleaned up) and installed. I bought the float level for the fresh tank this weekend before they disappear (seasonal item). I still need to buy the poly glue for the grey tanks. Ran out of $$ since I bought David a small generator for the food cart and me a much needed wireless printer and router. Sometime during the upcoming week, I hope to string all my computer stuff into a wireless setup (desktop, all-n-one printer, laptop) so that I can access it all from either the desktop or the laptop. And it will all fit into the computer desk/stack! I'm sure I'm missing a cable or two. Or have the wrong kind