Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #21
Site Team
 
crazycal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,087
Re: Living in denial: Why sensible people reject the truth

Because it's a religion to them.
__________________
I'm hungry!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:24 PM   #22
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 755
Re: Living in denial: Why sensible people reject the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
Because it's a religion to them.
Hmm, that may be it, I dunno ~shrug~
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:26 PM   #23
Bus Nut
 
Papabear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Southwest Wyoming
Posts: 334
Year: 1991
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Living in denial: Why sensible people reject the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily
This is a great read. It is a little long, so take your time.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2 ... ?full=true

New Scientist magazine was launched in 1956 "for all those men and women who are interested in scientific discovery, and in its industrial, commercial and social consequences".

Lily
Lily, first let me say - Love your Tolkien quote. Fan for decades.
I read your link, including all the little side bars. Interesting.

How to be a denialist
Martin McKee, an epidemiologist at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine who also studies denial, has identified six tactics that all denialist movements use. "I'm not suggesting there is a manual somewhere, but one can see these elements, to varying degrees, in many settings," he says (The European Journal of Public Health, vol 19, p 2).


1. Allege that there's a conspiracy. Claim that scientific consensus has arisen through collusion rather than the accumulation of evidence.
2. Use fake experts to support your story. "Denial always starts with a cadre of pseudo-experts with some credentials that create a facade of credibility," says Seth Kalichman of the University of Connecticut.
3. Cherry-pick the evidence: trumpet whatever appears to support your case and ignore or rubbish the rest. Carry on trotting out supportive evidence even after it has been discredited.
4. Create impossible standards for your opponents. Claim that the existing evidence is not good enough and demand more. If your opponent comes up with evidence you have demanded, move the goalposts.
5. Use logical fallacies. Hitler opposed smoking, so anti-smoking measures are Nazi. Deliberately misrepresent the scientific consensus and then knock down your straw man.
6. Manufacture doubt. Falsely portray scientists as so divided that basing policy on their advice would be premature. Insist "both sides" must be heard and cry censorship when "dissenting" arguments or experts are rejected.


Lily, that sure cuts both ways. I fall into that diagnosis, as I feel, do you. Would you not also be a denialist to claim there are no conspiricies? Lots of people were labled this in the late 50's/60's. Then the Feds had to release a lot of information a few years back and those same "crazies" got to say "See! I told you so"
Just because your not paronoid does not mean I'm not watching you.

P.S. It's official. May was the coldest month on record for the last 57 years (in our region) and on a temprate decline for the last several. Maybe it's the cold before the warm storm. Maybe not. I have started my own regional campain to help warm our area. I and several others in my group have started the ignition of PMO (personal methane output). We have almost got our page up. BlueDart.com.

PP.SS.

M&M for only two posts, Ya'll are some pernicoius little snits. May your not really that Eco-friendly orificium swell shut.
__________________
"I've never been lost, but I been mighty confused for several days"
Papabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:05 PM   #24
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 755
Re: Living in denial: Why sensible people reject the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily
Quote:
Originally Posted by John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbott
Okay, here's the bombshell. The current volcanic eruption going on in
Iceland, since it first started spewing volcanic has in one week's time,
NEGATED EVERY SINGLE EFFORT you have made in the past five years to
control CO2 emissions on our planet. Not only that, this single act of
God has added emissions to the earth estimated to be 42 times more than
can be corrected by the extreme human regulations proposed for annual
reductions.
Abbott, That is interesting... Is there a source for that data?

I was looking at "Information is Beautiful" the other day (they draw graphics of various things) and they had this data:

http://www.informationisbeautiful.ne...es-or-volcano/
Abbott doesn't believe in providing sources, he expects you to take his word for it. Which as any high school student could tell you only earns an F.

Great graph John, thank you.

Lily
Heh, first of all Lilly I don't expect anything from you other then your girlie teenage style remarks. I couldn't care less what you think I might expect from you or anyone else. Second, (LOL) have you ever heard of Google? It's a great source of information on the Internet.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:08 PM   #25
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 755
Re: Living in denial: Why sensible people reject the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael&Millie
This maneuver instantly proves you and numerous others here for all sense and purpose are willfully uniformed idiots. , deserving of no respect from me or anyone else..
No worries there Mike and Millie I have absolutely no respect for your life of denial.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #26
Bus Nut
 
Papabear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Southwest Wyoming
Posts: 334
Year: 1991
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Living in denial: Why sensible people reject the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael&Millie
The interesting thing about you right-wing personality types is your well-known and very well studied propensity to believe in cartoon or cookie cutter versions of everything.
Hi scoring RWA types like some of you folks here see everything in terms of some idealized fantasy.

Cal obviously believes in some cartoon version of life where environmentalists all think that we shouldn’t drive cars and most likely want everyone to live in some hovel eating roots and grubs … so he and a few others here think their showing me to be a hypocrite for having a bus or whatever.
This maneuver instantly proves you and numerous others here for all sense and purpose are willfully uniformed idiots. , deserving of no respect from me or anyone else..
I would think adults who think they have a point worth valuing would at least know this fact of real life before shooting their mouths off.
Ok, Now I'm confused. Why are you still here? You have nothing to post about a bus? There are plenty of other places on the net to do what you do. May I suggest a site with a fellow named Arky. It's a nice Yahoo group that would appreciate you a lot more than the imbreds that frequent these pages. As a blooming /blossoming idiot, I feel threatened by your obvious superior and informed personna and it just hurts my neck to have to look so high. Do us a favor and don't feed the idiots.


Hey Lily, Thanks

Hey ABBBOOOOTTT For all we disagree on, there's a lot we see eye to eye also.
__________________
"I've never been lost, but I been mighty confused for several days"
Papabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:09 PM   #27
Site Team
 
crazycal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,087
Re: Living in denial: Why sensible people reject the truth

Quote:
Cal obviously believes in some cartoon version of life where environmentalists all think that we shouldn’t drive cars and most likely want everyone to live in some hovel eating roots and grubs … so he and a few others here think their showing me to be a hypocrite for having a bus or whatever.
This maneuver instantly proves you and numerous others here for all sense and purpose are willfully uniformed idiots. , deserving of no respect from me or anyone else..
Keep spewing your B.S. Mr Eco Friendly Skoolie Dude. Let the world judge who is the idiot. I get all warm and fuzzy inside when you talk about me. While you are at it, answer my post about the engine replacement program. Tell me where that comes from.
__________________
I'm hungry!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:14 PM   #28
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 755
Re: Living in denial: Why sensible people reject the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael&Millie
Abbot nice way to hide the fact you don’t have any sources that would hold up in court, academia or anywhere else…. ( The Just Google it defense )
Here’s the real deal , where they don’t have to sink to supposition , paranoid delusions or anything else to make their point … just The STRAIGHT Forward Science
http://www.realclimate.org/
Not hiding a thing here assbite. I don't feel like playing my source is better then your source internet link bullshit. If someone really wants the information instead of just playing internet gotcha then Google is a good resource to find it. Keep in mind that you may have to enter some words or phrases into the search engine that you and/or Millie may not be entirely comfortable with.

As far as your real climatologists go they and most of the other self-serving lying SOBs have already been discredited. You should wake up and smell the coffee it may help you get some smarts. But I guess you would rather sit around whining and protesting making patch pants and fawked up garbage you try to pawn off as jewelry.

Save the planet!
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:19 PM   #29
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 755
Re: Living in denial: Why sensible people reject the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papabear
Hey ABBBOOOOTTT For all we disagree on, there's a lot we see eye to eye also.
Hell, I never said Wyoming sucks I made a lot of money there.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:32 PM   #30
Bus Nut
 
Papabear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Southwest Wyoming
Posts: 334
Year: 1991
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Living in denial: Why sensible people reject the truth

Michael&Millie
I Almost forgot about Dr Bob! and the word he spreads. Bob up and kiss my ass. He spends a lot of effort on the evils of the right wingers. Maybe he should move to America and have a little more say so in our political circus. He seems just a tad Bias. We have some good people here from Canada. Don't cast a shadow upon them also.
I consider myself bi or even tri-partisan. I have seen good/bad/right wrong on all sides. One thing that is consistent with the majority of all who would run for political power it that they spew forth what we would want to hear and when elected carry on with their own agendas.

Ya know what? **** this, I'm gonna go doodle with da bus
__________________
"I've never been lost, but I been mighty confused for several days"
Papabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
More fun than two ummarried people should have!! somewhereinusa Everything Else | General Skoolie Discussions 2 10-21-2013 01:01 PM
nice people keith Everything Else | General Skoolie Discussions 11 07-29-2012 07:30 PM
We All Know This Is The Truth...... M1031 Everything Else | General Skoolie Discussions 0 06-20-2010 05:47 PM
Why are some people so gullible? keith Everything Else | General Skoolie Discussions 1 05-31-2010 07:06 PM
All right, I need some help from the people here Jarlaxle Conversion General Discussions 9 01-09-2010 01:07 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.