Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2008, 10:31 AM   #1

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: CAT 3208 10.4 liter 250 h
Rated Cap: 78
Location of Fuse Panel on 1988 Blue Bird All American RE

Hello All,

I'm a forum newbie, and my husband and I are both bus newbies having recently purchased our first bus.

We are in the process of starting a charter bus company with a fleet of one bus (everyone has to start somewhere, right?)

The bus (we're thinking her name is Betsie, but not firm on that just yet) is being inspected on Friday (8/ by the Washington State Patrol Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Officer.

We've got everything else in place, EXCEPT we can't find the fuse panel. Feeling just a tad bit stupid, but we've - quite frankly - looked everywhere with no success.

There is a compartment located on the outside of the bus just beneath the driver's window which contains wires, etc.; however, there are only 2, after-market looking, inline fuses. This looks nothing like any other bus we've driven as a rental or inspected before purchasing.

We called the local Blue Bird dealership, and they suggested that we look in the engine compartment - nothing.

Any suggestions and/or insights would be greatly appreciated.

- Lisa, WA

BlunderBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:10 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: Location of Fuse Panel on 1988 Blue Bird All American RE

My bus is a Wayne with a front engine so this might not get you far, but I have one up under the dash next to the steering column for the chassis electrical. As far as the coach electrical is concerned it is all behind the large switch panel near the driver. Of course you should be able to access that from that outside panel as well. Oh and a quick note...my bus doesn't use fuses. It uses self-resetting circuit breakers. They look like large metal cased fuses in case you discover them in your bus and wonder what they are.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:58 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

I believe that the fuses are automatically resetting circuit breakers that are located below the switch panel at the driver's right elbow. Open the switch panel and you should see the cubes that are the breakers, with wires going to the switches.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:02 PM   #4

Year: 1988
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: CAT 3208 10.4 liter 250 h
Rated Cap: 78

You guys rock! My husband took a longer, more in-depth look at the web of wires behind the outer panel, and did a little testing with his 12v tester. Sure enough, we have resetting circuit breakers. We're still not certain how to access them from inside the bus (at least not easily?), but the outside panel gives full access.

Thanks!

- Lisa, WA
BlunderBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:35 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

You can't turn or otherwise manipulate the screws holding the switch panel in place? That is how I access mine. I give the little dzus fittings and pull it out. All the wiring is right there and relatively easy to work on.