Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2018, 12:03 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Engine: Detroit 6-71
Location suggestions for Conversion

Hi, my wife and I are starting to plan on purchasing a bus and start a conversion process. I live in St. Charles MO and from what I read I am not allowed to park a bus on my driveway. Either way my driveway is only 28 feet in length and I live on a hill next to my driveway (split level home) so there is no way I can get the bus to my side yard or back yard as they are on a hill.

We have seen so many buses but we want to hear or get ideas from anyone on how they did their conversion who couldn't park on their property. Anyone have suggestions of places that might allow me to park and work on the bus for say 1-3 months. My father and I are very experienced in home renovations so it shouldn't be too hard for us to adjust and renovate a bus interior. I just don't want to be fined or have the bus towed away.

Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:16 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Some U-Haul lots, RV/ boat storage lots. Local boat storage for only has uncovered for my 40' bus, but only charges $58/m
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:42 PM   #3
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Some U-Haul lots, RV/ boat storage lots. Local boat storage for only has uncovered for my 40' bus, but only charges $58/m

And they will let me do work inside the bus while parked, such as installing cabinets, bathroom, etc. I guess I would need to A either bring a generator for powering the tools or B hope they have electric near the parking space?
Old 03-13-2018, 02:29 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
And they will let me do work inside the bus while parked, such as installing cabinets, bathroom, etc. I guess I would need to A either bring a generator for powering the tools or B hope they have electric near the parking space?
I plan on getting an RE while working on the FE. I can do all the work at the home shop, I just don't have room for 2 buses on the property, so I'll store which ever one I'm not working on and keep the other at the house. Swap them out when needing to work on the other.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:38 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
I plan on getting an RE while working on the FE. I can do all the work at the home shop, I just don't have room for 2 buses on the property, so I'll store which ever one I'm not working on and keep the other at the house. Swap them out when needing to work on the other.
I don't think I can even legally park the bus on my property (driveway as its only 25 feet so it would get into part of the street) I also doubt I could parallel park on the street. Have you had any experience with a boat park/rv park, uhaul etc allowing you to work on it while you pay them for the space / storage?
Old 03-13-2018, 02:52 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
I don't think I can even legally park the bus on my property (driveway as its only 25 feet so it would get into part of the street) I also doubt I could parallel park on the street. Have you had any experience with a boat park/rv park, uhaul etc allowing you to work on it while you pay them for the space / storage?
They are all individually owned, so rules change. I can work on mine there, but have no power (outside, uncovered), would have to supply my own. But I don't plan on that as everything I need is in my 1660sf drive in basement shop. No need to lug tools out to the storage. I just found out one of the stock accounts my dad left us is appreciating to the tune of $30K a month. So I may just go rent a full size shop to do my powder coating and bus building out of.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:03 PM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
They are all individually owned, so rules change. I can work on mine there, but have no power (outside, uncovered), would have to supply my own. But I don't plan on that as everything I need is in my 1660sf drive in basement shop. No need to lug tools out to the storage. I just found out one of the stock accounts my dad left us is appreciating to the tune of $30K a month. So I may just go rent a full size shop to do my powder coating and bus building out of.

Lol that sounds amazing, good luck with the project, I am going to start contacting some parking spots to see who would be willing to take my money and let me work for a few months on it!

If anyone has any other ideas or experience please share!
Old 03-13-2018, 04:09 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
Just by looking at google maps I see BROPFS CAVE SPRINGS BOAT RV. Maybe ask them about using electricity? They are right near Harbor Freight which would be very convenient.

The Daily Driver Bus Build
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote