Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2011, 08:59 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Re: Look what I found...

Great bus, but the generator looks scarily low to the ground near the rear tire where you may hit a curb.

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

While we were living in S GA (not far from Ft Valley/Perry), we stopped in at a RV dealership (needed parts) and they let us peek at several Wanderlodges they had in the service bay. One of them was the first Wanderlodge that ever came off the line. Personally I think the old Wanderlodges that were built on a Blue Bird school chassis were the neatest looking and have always leaned towards a BB bus. The newer ones look like any other RV and one looks like the other. Wanderlodge was sold several years back (1994?) and became Bluebird Motor Coach (BCM). I do not like the chromed stuff though. Part of the reason why I am painting all my aluminum/chrome stuff with the hammered copper.

Wanderlodge Links
http://www.vintagebirds.com/
http://www.vintagebirds.com/history.htm history with pictures also some specs... many of these buses were no longer than 35 ft. Interesting!

For those with a BlueBird skoolie, you may want to look at FIXES on the main page. Scroll down the "FIXES" page and you will see a fix called "Fuel Filler Splashback Fix". We have this problem with our bus. With our first refuel, we thought it was either us or the pumps (took forever to put 25-30 gallons in the tank... luckily the diesel pumps were empty) but it did the same again at the second place David got fuel at. So I'm going to point this "fix" out to David and see if we can do the same to allow the fuel tank to fill better. Luckily we haven't put much fuel in the bus and when we did it was only 25 to 30 gallons at a time. But with the fuel gauge fixed, I know David is going to end up refueling when close to empty. there are other tips that may work for some of the skoolies.

Don't forget to check out the Classified" ads of stuff for sale. Or for that matter, most of the RV forums have a for sale spot. I have seen Splendides that were FREE if you were close enough to just pick them up.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:46 PM   #3
Bus Nut

I found it online I think, sure looks like it in the pics..... Alabama Craigslist

http://bham.craigslist.org/rvs/2293337711.html Birmingham, AL
Old 05-13-2011, 10:52 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

that would be so nice to find!
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:56 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

The simple fix for the fuel splash back issue is to not put the nozzle all the way into the fill tube. HOLD it about 3" and let 'er go. You cant let it rest on the tube, it has to be suspend mid-tube.
My tank is in the center of the frame and it has a warning about splash back.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus
The simple fix for the fuel splash back issue is to not put the nozzle all the way into the fill tube. HOLD it about 3" and let 'er go. You cant let it rest on the tube, it has to be suspend mid-tube. [emphasis added]
My tank is in the center of the frame and it has a warning about splash back.
It might be OK with diesel to not touch the tube, but not with gasoline. Gas flowing through the hose can build up static electricity, and spark to the vehicle could ignite the escaping vapor. Most of the time it doesn't, but it's possible that one day we could be the "somebody else" that it occasionally happens to.

At least with cars, we do not have to attach a static strap between the vehicle and the pump before using it like with aircraft. Static is also the reason why we are supposed to have gas cans sitting on the ground when filling them.

My wife's car has half a dozen twists and turns of the filler tube between between the cap and the tank. As a result, pumps kick off when the tank is filled to about 80% capacity (full on the gauge). I have to back the nozzles out to get the rest in, and if that pump has no slow speed, it wants to spit fuel back.

I am careful to rest the tip of the nozzle on the lower rim of the filler, and aim the stream toward the middle of the tube. Chances are excellent that if I fail to ground the nozzle, it will not explode while I am filling the tank, but why risk it?

(Why do some people insist on having a cigarette in front of the "NO SMOKING" sign while pumping gasoline? "Darwin effect?")
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Of course. I was speaking diesel. Gas never even entered my mind.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote