Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan N View Post

I didn't realize this was so complicated!

anything legal is complicated... insurance companies pay people to find ways to deny claims.. Lawyers spend lots of money looking for reasons and lobbying lawmakers to put loopholes in laws so that litigation can ensue if one little thing is missed...

yeah its complex.. most of us end up without issues as we dont end up in situations where those little things pop up...
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:52 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I picked up my bus in Butte Montana and drove it to Seattle. Spent a few days with my brother and then drove the bus to Atlanta. I was approached by two officers both while I was parked, one on the side of the road on Bainbridge Island, Seattle, and once while pulled over on the side of the road in Kentucky or somewhere. Both officers asked about no tag and after showing them insurance and current bill of sale and the fact that I was just passing through their state to get home they saw no issue, even though technically in Washington I should have a drive out tag.
My question is what kind of driving are you doing that you're worried about getting pulled over by the police. Number 1, buses are invisible to the police, not all school districts are required to have license plates. I spent many miles going between 75 and 80, never got pulled over. States have reciprocity, so what's legal in your state is legal in the state you're in at the time as long as your vehicle is insured. I told the officers that since it's a decommissioned bus it is no longer considered a commercial vehicle in the state of Georgia and therefore I am not required to have a CDL to drive it.
Number2, have insurance, have a bill of sale, and drive like you normally safely drive and you will have no issues with LEO. If you all remember I had an accident at my first gas stop, had absolutely no issues with the police officer who showed up while I was on the phone with my insurance agent. The officer spoke to the agent just wanted to verify whether I was insured or not, agent verified I was. That was all the officer needed took his report and left.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:27 PM   #33
Skoolie

Coachwork: Lewis
Engine: Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
IMO, no one should have to defend their comfort level especially around driving a big ass vehicle without the right paperwork. Good for you if you sidestepped the rules, but the OP does not want to. Which is 100% his/her call.

I called the one person I know in CA who might have been able to drive it but he's got a load and is booked for the foreseeable future. If I come up with anyone else I'll send a message.
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:02 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebuild View Post
IMO, no one should have to defend their comfort level especially around driving a big ass vehicle without the right paperwork. Good for you if you sidestepped the rules, but the OP does not want to. Which is 100% his/her call.

I called the one person I know in CA who might have been able to drive it but he's got a load and is booked for the foreseeable future. If I come up with anyone else I'll send a message.
I didn't sidestep any rules, I was working under the rule of reciprocity. The state of Georgia allows me to drive unregistered for 30 days on a bill of sale as long as I have proper insurance. Neither officer wrote me because they couldn't really argue with me because they didn't know Georgia law, but with the rest of my paperwork in order and nothing else out of whack I was on my way, I still believe totally legally.
I realized the rules are different state to state. I am a native Californian, grew up in New England, and recently spent time in Southern California. I am no longer proud to say I am a native Californian.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:46 PM   #35
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:

No ones having to defend anything here, IMO. We're simply trying to assuage someone's fears and report what happens when we drive buses across the country. I don't have a CDL and rarely ever a tag on the buses when I buy them. Taking a written cdl test isn't really much for safety, more for legality. Anything learned on that test can be learned in ten minutes of googling.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:46 PM   #36
Skoolie

Coachwork: Lewis
Engine: Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I didn't sidestep any rules, I was working under the rule of reciprocity.
I'm not talking about you. I'm commenting on the thread in general.

I'm not judging anybody, believe me. I'm not even going to tell you the big risk I took on my own drive from CA to MA because I know I'd be the one getting judged! But that was a decision I made, which is what everyone gets to do.

The point is, someone asked for help finding a driver. They didn't ask to be cajoled into doing something they're not comfortable with. Suggesting is one thing, but they've obviously done their research and made a decision how they want to handle getting their bus home.
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:48 PM   #37
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:

I'm not judging anybody, believe me. I'm not even going to tell you the big risk I took on my own drive from CA to MA because I know I'd be the one getting judged! But that was a decision I made, which is what everyone gets to do.

The point is, someone asked for help finding a driver. They didn't ask to be cajoled into doing something they're not comfortable with. Suggesting is one thing, but they've obviously done their research and made a decision how they want to handle getting their bus home.
True. But since no one's stepping forward yet I don't see the harm in a bit of dialogue.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:12 AM   #38
Bus Nut

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 392 international V-8
Quote:

I do agree with you and feel there is some pressure from others to just do it.
Ronnie is online now   Reply With Quote