Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2018, 02:45 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: 6-71TA
Rated Cap: 90
Looking for a driver

I am in the process of purchasing a 98 Thomas (40') in CA but not having much luck getting a driver with a CDL to deliver to KC area . Actually, I did have one lined up but the seller was delayed in getting back to me so the driver took another job. If there is anyone in the San Diego CA area that can do a drive-away to deliver this to the KC Area, please PM me.

Thanks.

GWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 05:46 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Why would you need a driver with a CDL? Are you transporting kids or more than 16? If not, drive it yourself.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 07:33 PM   #3
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
Why would you need a driver with a CDL? Are you transporting kids or more than 16? If not, drive it yourself.
No, I am transporting anyone. It will eventually be converted.
It is my understanding that vehicles with a GVWR over 26001 require a CDL unless it is titled as an RV. In addition, some states like KS even require a Class B or A non-commercial license for vehicles titled as an RV and have a GVWR over 26001.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:57 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1975
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Cat 3208t/10 speed transmission
Don't over think this.
Go to California and drive your bus home!
Drive carefully.
Don't drive into a weigh station no matter what the sign says.
You can do this!
Old 11-23-2018, 11:04 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan N View Post
Don't over think this.
Go to California and drive your bus home!
Drive carefully.
Don't drive into a weigh station no matter what the sign says.
You can do this!
I would say it is being prudent rather than overthinking. I have been fortunate to not have any accidents or citations for decades. All it would take to be in some big legal trouble is a road checkpoint, curious LEO or somebody running into the Bus etc.

As for driving into a weigh station, they are usually not interested in how much the buses weighed but more concerned with Commercial DOT inspections. Since school buses owned by school districts are exempt from most DOT rules and regulations, it would be a waste of time for them to enter anyway.

Based on what I have read and phone calls to KS DMV, a Bus titled as an RV with a GVWR of 26000+ requires a non-commercial class B. The Bus I am looking to purchase has a GVWR of 36200 making it illegal for me to drive in my state and many others and it is not even titled yet as an RV. Usually, states look at what the driver is entitled to drive in their home state and therein lies the problem.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:20 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
If you are interested in hiring a CDL driver to do this for you, PM me. I'm on the east coast, though and would need travel.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 06:26 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWRider View Post
No, I am transporting anyone. It will eventually be converted.
It is my understanding that vehicles with a GVWR over 26001 require a CDL unless it is titled as an RV. In addition, some states like KS even require a Class B or A non-commercial license for vehicles titled as an RV and have a GVWR over 26001.
Just drive it you'll be fine.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 06:59 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Just drive it you'll be fine.

Yup. (get insurance though).
Old 11-25-2018, 12:20 AM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 47
Exemptions, read "d" near the bottom

Statute | Kansas State Legislature
Motobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:55 AM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motobus View Post

I saw that before but believe that refers to requiring a CDL which is not an issue. KS still requires a non-commercial Class B for any vehicle with a GVWR over 26001. They are one of about 8 states that do this.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:42 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
That answers the question as to whether a "CDL" is required...

"...non-commercial Class B..."

All they need is the endorsement on a regular license.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:27 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
I agree with GW Rider. Regulations are supposed to apply to all.

Although this is seems just paperwork in all reality it is insane that someone with no experience can hop into a 26000LBS vehicle without any proper training. I know that you folks are all excellent divers but.... from an insurance perspective .... Not even talking about the structural changes people like to bring about.... it is not a surprising that insurance companies are looking real hard if your money is worth the risk.

Although I just drove our bus without a proper drivers certification I felt that I was a careful person and that my qualification was good enough. ..

When we had it reinspected and re-titled in a RV we lowered registered GVWR to 26000 so that at least the legal hurtles would be easier to take in the future.

I would be real upset if my family would get hurt by someone with a DIY rig who decided not to go full in the brakes because they were afraid that there own fridge would hit them in the back of their head, or that they never had experienced how it is to have a 26000 LBS vehicle come to a stop on wet roads with 70 MPH.

The idea that skoolies are safer comes with the attitude "for the people inside", that easily results in well .. when it comes down to it... I will just hit that little sedan in front because it is not going to be me getting in the hospital.

My two cents..
later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 03:25 PM   #13
Skoolie

Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 47
Quote:
I saw that before but believe that refers to requiring a CDL which is not an issue. KS still requires a non-commercial Class B for any vehicle with a GVWR over 26001. They are one of about 8 states that do this.
Can you provide a statute for a non commercial class b? If there is one I can't find it. I saw you said you called DMV, which I did and the locals didn't know. That's when I had contact with Topeka who provided me with the exemption statute. I had looked for a non commercial license for a large truck, couldn't find one and made the calls.
Motobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 04:13 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: ICCORP
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 16
Quote:
Can you provide a statute for a non commercial class b? If there is one I can't find it. I saw you said you called DMV, which I did and the locals didn't know. That's when I had contact with Topeka who provided me with the exemption statute. I had looked for a non commercial license for a large truck, couldn't find one and made the calls.
Not a statute, but straight from the horses mouth (CA DMV).

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de..._htm/lic_chart

On a similar note, I have been told that all states will accept another states license even if the other state's requirements are different. IOW, if State ABC required people to get a CDL for 15Klb and state XYZ did not, state ABC would accept state XYZ driving conditions - if all of the paper work (license, registration, insurance) was in order for state XYZ. They would not require you to have a CDL. I could be wrong here, but it seems a bit draconian to require people to comply with all 50 state DL requirements for a family vacation when they are in fact only residents in one state.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:48 PM   #15
Skoolie

Quote:
I would say it is being prudent rather than overthinking. I have been fortunate to not have any accidents or citations for decades. All it would take to be in some big legal trouble is a road checkpoint, curious LEO or somebody running into the Bus etc.

As for driving into a weigh station, they are usually not interested in how much the buses weighed but more concerned with Commercial DOT inspections. Since school buses owned by school districts are exempt from most DOT rules and regulations, it would be a waste of time for them to enter anyway.

Based on what I have read and phone calls to KS DMV, a Bus titled as an RV with a GVWR of 26000+ requires a non-commercial class B. The Bus I am looking to purchase has a GVWR of 36200 making it illegal for me to drive in my state and many others and it is not even titled yet as an RV. Usually, states look at what the driver is entitled to drive in their home state and therein lies the problem.
Like the other have said Just drive it. Yes It is over 26000 GVW

However it is NOT COMMERCIAL

The C in CDL stands for Commerical

even a nosy cop will not look up the requirements for a RV lic in a different state. (They will have a VERY hard time finding a statute # for KANSAS lic requirements.
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:58 PM   #16
Skoolie

Quote:

8-234b(2) - commercial class B
8-234b(5) - class B (non-commercial)

See attached image of 2017 Statute
Attached Thumbnails
8-234b(5).jpg  
Old 11-28-2018, 08:52 PM   #17
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
Like the other have said Just drive it. Yes It is over 26000 GVW

However it is NOT COMMERCIAL

The C in CDL stands for Commerical

even a nosy cop will not look up the requirements for a RV lic in a different state. (They will have a VERY hard time finding a statute # for KANSAS lic requirements.
I am well aware what CDL stands for. Commercial or not, it is still illegal. If caught, they can prevent you from driving it. Besides the cost of a ticket you could end up with the expense of a tow charge and/or the expense of having someone drive or transport it home.

Also, I found the statute posted in one of my previous replies within a few minutes. LEO's have software designed for their job so they can find it in seconds. It is not that difficult these days to write software that could use the license class from your states license and query various databases (like those containing the statutes and vehicle registration) to determine whether it is legal to operate a certain vehicle.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:31 PM   #18
Almost There

Year: 2006
Coachwork: IH
Chassis: FE 300
Engine: DT 466
Rated Cap: 84
Maybe I missed it, but why don't you just go get your CDL quick. Takes 1/2 day. The test it's easy. Rent or borrow a 26+ straight truck.
johnforrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:34 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I originally was just to go get a CDL biut then was told there were all kin ds of things having a CDL affects as a personal driver. so I didnt do it..

not to mention that as i read more and more into the laws of my home state. and others. that mekanic has it right.. im not operating commercially in any form.. my bus is in effect my personal car... even when I drive it on a busoiness trip... im not selling the bus as a service or selling service out of it... or using it for selling a service..

some states require Non commercial licenses for large vehicles.. if you live in one of those states get your non-comm class B and go drive..

the most contact ive had with police in any of my 3 busses has been "Cool bus", " great classic.. ", "Be careful there's black ice up the highway a few miles", "can you block this driveway for us?"

-Christopher

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:22 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post

the most contact ive had with police in any of my 3 busses has been ...."can you block this driveway for us?"
I wouldn't mind hearing more of this story......

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote