Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2018, 07:59 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Looking for a place to park the bus in FL.

Hey, anyone with FL roots, I'm up to new tricks. I put an offer in on a house in the U.P. of MI. Up there you can buy a house that NEEDS flipped for <$35,000. Depending on personal pain thresholds, you can get them <$25,000. For $45,000 you can get one that does NOT need flipping. The one I put in a bid on is listed at $45,000.

I need a second one in FL so I can snowbird between the two. I should probably wait until I see what happens with my offer, get thru closing and find a tenant while I finish the bus. I don't plan on moving into anything for a couple of years. Let whomever the tenant is, pay the mortgage for a couple of years.

I've been looking in JAX because I have a friend that lives there. He could also be a tenant so it would make life easy if he's in a position to become a tenant sooner than later. Anywho, any of the FL folks got any ideas on where to find a <$50,000 house that doesn't come with a CDC warning. They are definitely higher prices than the WI/MI houses.

Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:14 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Hey, anyone with FL roots, I'm up to new tricks. I put an offer in on a house in the U.P. of MI. Up there you can buy a house that NEEDS flipped for <$35,000. Depending on personal pain thresholds, you can get them <$25,000. For $45,000 you can get one that does NOT need flipping. The one I put in a bid on is listed at $45,000.

I need a second one in FL so I can snowbird between the two. I should probably wait until I see what happens with my offer, get thru closing and find a tenant while I finish the bus. I don't plan on moving into anything for a couple of years. Let whomever the tenant is, pay the mortgage for a couple of years.

I've been looking in JAX because I have a friend that lives there. He could also be a tenant so it would make life easy if he's in a position to become a tenant sooner than later. Anywho, any of the FL folks got any ideas on where to find a <$50,000 house that doesn't come with a CDC warning. They are definitely higher prices than the WI/MI houses.
Here in my area there are a few properties that you can buy in that price range. Usually 3-6 acres with a mobile home. Usually the mobile home is pretty rough.

I got my house in town for 46k but that was in 2010 during the crunch. It was a buyers market.
Fl is developing everywhere lately. The local bear sanctuary was leveled to make more turnpike, and the swamps on 46 are being drained for the same reason.
Wildlife have been fleeing in a mass exodus and property values are at a high again. We're planning to sell our house this year and look for property further away from town so we can do whatever we want.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:28 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Here in my area there are a few properties that you can buy in that price range. Usually 3-6 acres with a mobile home. Usually the mobile home is pretty rough.

I got my house in town for 46k but that was in 2010 during the crunch. It was a buyers market.
Fl is developing everywhere lately. The local bear sanctuary was leveled to make more turnpike, and the swamps on 46 are being drained for the same reason.
Wildlife have been fleeing in a mass exodus and property values are at a high again. We're planning to sell our house this year and look for property further away from town so we can do whatever we want.
I guess I should have included that too. NO MOBILE HOMES!!! I've seen a bunch of those. Some in decent shape even but I'm looking for stick build. I'll consider module. There are a bunch of 55+ places too. I'm old but not that old yet.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:36 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
I guess I should have included that too. NO MOBILE HOMES!!! I've seen a bunch of those. Some in decent shape even but I'm looking for stick build. I'll consider module. There are a bunch of 55+ places too. I'm old but not that old yet.
there are almost always Jax area "homes" on GovDeals for next to nothing. Problem is they're in REALLY bad areas and are usually seized drug houses.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:15 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
there are almost always Jax area "homes" on GovDeals for next to nothing. Problem is they're in REALLY bad areas and are usually seized drug houses.
The JAX buddy can steer me clear of the rough sides of town. I've not looked at the foreclosures or auction houses. Because of financing, it does need to be move-in ready. Move-in ready = walls painted, floors covered. It can't be drywall that has been mud and taped nor bare plywood with laminate ready to go even.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:18 AM   #6
Bus Geek

JAX id about the only place I am consistently finding $45k houses tho. I'm originally from Tallahassee but it's too cold there. Not too cold for me nor is it cold by comparison to MD but if I'm doing the snowbird thing, why drive a 1,000+ miles to still be in the 20°s?

I was hoping I could find something in the country but surprisingly I haven't found much of nothing. Even in the woods like Inverness, Live Oak, etc.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:31 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Have you ever been a landlord before? It's not all it's cracked up to be. While you may get lucky and the tenant pays down your mortgage, they often create more monetary work when they leave with major damage and back rent owed than what you would have made in rent.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:55 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Have you ever been a landlord before? It's not all it's cracked up to be. While you may get lucky and the tenant pays down your mortgage, they often create more monetary work when they leave with major damage and back rent owed than what you would have made in rent.
I have not nor do I plan on becoming one. My plan is to go with a property management company. You call me at 3am to say the sink is dripping, I'll fix that alright. By calling the water company and having it turned off!!

Apparently management companies are hard to come by where I'm looking in MI. Biggest town in the U.P. is 20,000 and I'm looking an hour and half from that. That said, I'm not buying anything that I can't afford without a tenant so if need be I could close the house up. That is probably as bad, maybe worse, than having a crappy tenant so I'd prefer not to do that. Paying for heat/AC on an empty house isn't a good plan either.