Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2016, 02:21 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
If you take time to talk to people here before making your decision you may end up changing your mind about what you thought you wanted.

Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:02 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AmTran/Genesis FE
Chassis: International
Engine: DT-466 mechanical
Rated Cap: 77 pass.
I again agree with EasCoastCB, watch for the older mechanical engines, easier & cheaper to work on.
Night Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:50 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
It's an alright choice for a bus. Like others have said, transmission and body are both good.

Try to find one with the 5.9 Cummins ISB. It's a better engine then the CAT and is cheaper to fix.

Also there's tons of Freightliner FS buses for sale so you have lots to choose from. $3000 is about right for a good one.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:53 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Was the transmission ever specified? I've seen plenty of Cat 3126's with 545's.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 05:01 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

How long are the international 3800s?
Old 04-02-2016, 05:35 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

No the transmission was not specified there other I than allision.... been looking at the internationals at govdeals. Thanx for the link ECCB. We have an affinity for internationals anyway.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:24 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Ok what about this one?

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...19&acctid=8064

Even though there is a busted window there seems over all minimal signs of rust.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:30 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I like it. I saw it earlier and thought about trying to pick it up cheap. The broken window is a plus as it may keep the price lower.
Looks like a good cheap basic bus to me.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 03:41 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

The IHC/Wayne body bus looks like a much better candidate for you than the FL/Thomas.

The age and condition of the IHC/Wayne will most likely keep the price down compared to the FL/Thomas.

The IHC has the DT466 and air brakes with spoke wheels. Those spe'c's are actually much better than a Cat and hydraulic brakes with disc wheels.

Disc wheels require either a 3/4" or 1" air driven impact wrench or a torque multiplier to remove the lug nuts. Spoke wheels only require standard hand tools to remove. An extra length bar might be needed to remove them. The torque required to cinch spoke wheel lug nuts is much lower than disc wheel lug nuts--around 100 ft/lbs compared to 300 ft/lbs.

Air brakes require much less attention, particularly if a vehicle sits for long periods of time. Brake fluid is hydroscopic and attracts water. Water contaminates brake fluid and reduces the boiling point dramatically over time. The water also rusts the interiors of brake cylinders and pistons.

Air brakes also have a much more positive parking/emergency brake than the mechanical driveline parking/emergency brake that is found on most hydraulically braked vehicles.

Depending upon the rear gearing both buses should have about the same top speed but the DT466 will climb hills much better even if it is a lower HP version than the 3126. Fuel mileage will be about the same as well.

IMHO, the IHC/Wayne is a much better bus for the $$$ than the FL/Thomas. But I would not pay any more than about $2K for it.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:03 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
I am not a bus expert yet, but there is something on the Thomas I saw that concerned me.

The rust on the bumper isn't a big deal, it doesn't look to be too deep, however, with it being on the bumper like that, AND it is a Mass bus, Id be cautious about buying it. Ask for pics of the undercarriage, especially around wheel wells, and fittings for any of the lines. I learned the hard way on mine and I am in the process of rebuilding the floor structure above my rear axle.

And everyone needs to quit hating on cat motors. They aren't THAT much more to fix, and they seem to be in everything from bulldozers to yachts! Plus there are a ton of dealers on the interstates if you need a repair.

The 3126 versus the 3126b is efficiency. The mechanical motors are definitely easier to work on, but the electronic ones get better mileage. I think porkchopsandwiches and wmkbailey can answer exact mileage as they have had theirs out on longer road trips.

Whatever you get, just be ready for a bit of work, a lot of advice, and even more fun when you start and finish your conversion!
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:27 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

Ally PM'ed me an Ebay URL to a nice looking bus. Ally, I would encourage you to post it publicly so that all can examine and comment.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:32 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Kind Dan-fox,

I did sent you the link first but then was told I was being silly and so I went ahead and shared it with everyone.

Bright Regards.