Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2017, 01:13 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Lost in Virginia

Hi all,

I bought this bus last year in June and moved right in. Been full time since.

So many great things about skoolies.

Right now i am loosing hope; though the police have been wonderful, the bus has been run off of most the neighborhood roads where i lived. I am currently Walmart surfing. I keep reaching out and doing the next right thing, but unless the Universe wants me in Walmart parking lots for a reason it wont tell me, i feel pretty lost.

I even listed the bus for sale in an attempt to be open to any option life may have for me. My Mom lives 2800 miles away in Utah and has a spot i could park there. Goodness that option just doesn't ring true, but again i am open and searching and considering all possibilities right now. Feeling down and lost and sad.

Thanks for reading.

Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:07 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Your closer than that I drove my bus from Greencastle Pennsylvania to Roseburg Oregon 2700 800 miles further

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yellowbus1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:08 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Go west far west

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yellowbus1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:14 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
maybe the east coast isnt the right place... im not sure what work you do so I cant say whether you can make your career in another state..

super-dave is in virginia somewhere and is able to find places to full time in his bus.. maybe he has some helping advice for you...

I know of a guy who lives in a Van (soon to be skoolie).. that "house-sits" for peoiple who live in the country that want to take vacations but are concerned about their property being vacant for weeks at a time.. he advertised on craisglist and around small towns in ohio, PA, WV, michigan. and indiana.. he parks his van and it shows there is activity on people's property.. he doesnt charge much if any. and people give him access to water and shore power..

at one point he got to live on the construction site of anew home build where previously theives qwere stealing tools and materials and evading police and alarm systems... he stayed there 3 months and not one thing was stolen..

think of ways to market yourself... install a lot of cameras and surveillance recording on your bus and then put out flyers to HOA's and see if you can be part of a "watch group" in an area to cut down on crime.. your bus parked on a street and records cars and people going in and out.. you take your exercise walks in said neighborhood...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:30 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Wow - those are some amazing tips for anyone considering going full time. I had an offer to park on a farm and keep an eye on some goats - basically not do anything - except sometimes putting out feed in the morning. There is no house at the farm - so it will help keep away people looking to steal the goats or chickens (which I did not realize people do...

Some ranches might like having someone living on the far end of their property - to keep an eye on fence lines..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
maybe the east coast isnt the right place... im not sure what work you do so I cant say whether you can make your career in another state..

super-dave is in virginia somewhere and is able to find places to full time in his bus.. maybe he has some helping advice for you...

I know of a guy who lives in a Van (soon to be skoolie).. that "house-sits" for peoiple who live in the country that want to take vacations but are concerned about their property being vacant for weeks at a time.. he advertised on craisglist and around small towns in ohio, PA, WV, michigan. and indiana.. he parks his van and it shows there is activity on people's property.. he doesnt charge much if any. and people give him access to water and shore power..

at one point he got to live on the construction site of anew home build where previously theives qwere stealing tools and materials and evading police and alarm systems... he stayed there 3 months and not one thing was stolen..

think of ways to market yourself... install a lot of cameras and surveillance recording on your bus and then put out flyers to HOA's and see if you can be part of a "watch group" in an area to cut down on crime.. your bus parked on a street and records cars and people going in and out.. you take your exercise walks in said neighborhood...

-Christopher
Old 07-16-2017, 10:20 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

some good suggestions here.. for steath, do get a box van body and paint it as a tool supply or construction van as mentioned before.
Also you can paint or wrap it to match the business ideas in whatever section of industrial area, n parking is easy...also makes it very easy to park by home depot type stores, wal mart, construction areas, etc.
printed hat/ name on shirt, etc., may greatly help with the staff n law...\
just saying...
Old 07-16-2017, 10:45 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Thanks for the replies everyone. I did install cameras and post an ad on Craigslist to do just that; nightwatch. Did get two call for it a first of this year. Nothing since.

Doing better today. Was down and just let it flow through, and took a nap lol.

One day at a time now. Amazing what happens just in a walmart parking lot to help me feel i am where i am supposed to be. Wont go into it but a few things already. Sure miss my kitty friend though, because of the heat she is staying with a friend for now. Will go visit her tomorrow .

Nick
Old 07-17-2017, 03:47 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Get your kitty. Why isn't she with you full time? I think that would be a tremendous help to your state of mind

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2017, 03:53 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Also....I'm taking off in October, finished with my build or not and I have no idea where I'll be living. I'll be full-timing it as well. So I'll be in the same boat. I'll be getting a dog for companionship.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:03 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer View Post
Wow - those are some amazing tips for anyone considering going full time. I had an offer to park on a farm and keep an eye on some goats - basically not do anything - except sometimes putting out feed in the morning. There is no house at the farm - so it will help keep away people looking to steal the goats or chickens (which I did not realize people do...

Some ranches might like having someone living on the far end of their property - to keep an eye on fence lines..
Take a look at: Farm Sitting
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:42 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobeamiss View Post
Also....I'm taking off in October, finished with my build or not and I have no idea where I'll be living. I'll be full-timing it as well. So I'll be in the same boat. I'll be getting a dog for companionship.

remember though, while a dog pr cat might help for companionship it also requures that you keep your bus climate-controlled 24/7 even if you are out working somewhere you have to keep it cool or warm.. whereas otherwise you can keep it just warm enough in winter not to freeze your water.. and in summer you can let it stay warm till you return.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:28 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
remember though, while a dog pr cat might help for companionship it also requures that you keep your bus climate-controlled 24/7 even if you are out working somewhere you have to keep it cool or warm.. whereas otherwise you can keep it just warm enough in winter not to freeze your water.. and in summer you can let it stay warm till you return.
-Christopher
I totally get that. I'm partial to Chihuahuas so it'll be a little guy or girl and when I leave the bus he/she will be coming with me
amof, I'm still working right now at the HD and I'm always on the lookout for animals (and children) left in vehicles. I've made announcements over the intercom, called the police and I wouldn't think twice about smashing in someone's window...
Yup, I'm a total advocate for the helpless

Old 07-25-2017, 05:36 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Yeah the little lady went to stay with a friend because of the heat wave, but she is getting along fine and making friends there. I visit here a lot. The change was difficult, but amazingly after a short time i am feeling bettter and happy life moved me out of an area i no longer enjoyed. I had not realized that until i got away because i had been so busy trying to keep my head above the water. Life always seems to know what i need, even before i know it. Thanks for the support y'all. Oh btw now i am about 5 mins from the james river and have been visiting there often to stay cool. What a great way to enjoy summer heat.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:20 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Take a look at: Farm Sitting
Link didn't work

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote