Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2018, 07:12 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2martins View Post
Can you tell which transmission it has?
It's probaby an AT545 but could be a 540 in theory.
No.....for some reason, the trans info isn't included in the VIN......don't know why it isn't.

You should be able to call your local International dealership with the VIN and they can tell you what transmission was factory-installed, along with a lot of other interesting info.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:31 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
No.....for some reason, the trans info isn't included in the VIN......don't know why it isn't.

You should be able to call your local International dealership with the VIN and they can tell you what transmission was factory-installed, along with a lot of other interesting info.
Oh happy day! I called the local international dealer and I am in luck because for some reason, my bus has an MT643 transmission instead of the dreaded AT545! Yay!

Although the fact that the mechanic did not know that when I asked makes me a little nervous about him.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:41 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Can you tell which transmission it has?
It's probaby an AT545 but could be a 540 in theory.
You can't tell from the VIN# but any International dealer can get that info quickly ... or you could look underneath

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:52 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
You can't tell from the VIN# but any International dealer can get that info quickly ... or you could look underneath
I'm going to take my son (well, I'll make him drive) to meet Mobi next week! He's 365 miles away which makes looking under the bus a little difficult at the moment.

And again, doesn't that mean that the mechanic, who actually HAS the bus, should know that? He probably just answered with what it usually was though because he didn't want to go walk out to the lot to look.

The storm is coming and the forecasts have gone up. Apparently we might get 4 feet of snow between now and Friday. Blizzard warning. This means I get to clear 60' of driveway so that I can park Mobi on the side of the driveway that we don't have to clear to get into the garage. I got gas for the snowblower today. We need the snow but I wish we'd gotten it earlier!!!
Old 03-01-2018, 11:36 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Good news on the 643! Much better than the 545.

Every time I see you mention Mobi I chuckle. My first bus was a big white Eagle 10 called.... Moby
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:38 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
Your mechanic is of questionable value just because he drives a diesel apparently does not make him an expert.When you get home take your bus to a dealer or a reputable shop and get the coolant checked for type and sca level it IS important.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:37 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Any particular brand of SCAs? There's like 2000 additives and they all have microscopic ingredient lists.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:56 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
if a diesel shop is putting the radiator back together id think they would be putting the SCA's in the coolant.. and also putting an SCA-maintaining filter on the water-pump. if they arent doing that then shame on that shop... you can buy the SCA test strips and test the coolant (similar to testing a pool or hot tub in theory)...

your bus should go find with a T-444E and an MT-643 transmission... your navistar dealer can tell you which model it is... that engine came in 4 different ratings from 175 HP to 230 HP. (in busses)... a 175 or 190 would be pretty slow in the hills in a full size RE bus..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:12 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
if a diesel shop is putting the radiator back together id think they would be putting the SCA's in the coolant.. and also putting an SCA-maintaining filter on the water-pump. if they arent doing that then shame on that shop... you can buy the SCA test strips and test the coolant (similar to testing a pool or hot tub in theory)...

your bus should go find with a T-444E and an MT-643 transmission... your navistar dealer can tell you which model it is... that engine came in 4 different ratings from 175 HP to 230 HP. (in busses)... a 175 or 190 would be pretty slow in the hills in a full size RE bus..
-Christopher
Can the dealer tell me from the VIN or do they need the engine serial number?
Old 03-01-2018, 06:15 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Can the dealer tell me from the VIN or do they need the engine serial number?
From the VIN# the dealer can get the original build sheet which specifies nearly every component that went into the vehicle.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:30 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdog 5651 View Post
Your mechanic is of questionable value just because he drives a diesel apparently does not make him an expert.When you get home take your bus to a dealer or a reputable shop and get the coolant checked for type and sca level it IS important.
ok, so I just called the local international dealer again and found out that I have a 190HP engine so, it could be worse.

he said that I should use DCA or green coolant on a truck this old.

No one has mentioned that and lots of y'all have buses at least this old. Thoughts? Will Carquest be able to see me the test strips, show me how to test it and sell me the right coolant?
Old 03-01-2018, 07:05 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Quote:
ok, so I just called the local international dealer again and found out that I have a 190HP engine so, it could be worse.

he said that I should use DCA or green coolant on a truck this old.

No one has mentioned that and lots of y'all have buses at least this old. Thoughts? Will Carquest be able to see me the test strips, show me how to test it and sell me the right coolant?
OMG this is HUGE. I called my local international dealer and gave them the last 8 of the VIN number and he emailed me my "Line Set Ticket."

This has ALL THE INFO ON MY BUS!

I have the optional engine block heater!!
I DO have a DRAIN VALVE, AUTOMATIC(BENDIX) WITH HEATER
I have 78" of headroom and snow rails, whatever the heck those are. IT TELLS YOU EVERYTHING. He said they used to charge $7 for these but now they will email them for free. Now I have to figure out what a lot of these things ARE. It has the capacity of my sanders. THIS IS AMAZING!!!!
Old 03-01-2018, 07:07 PM   #33
Bus Geek

correct that engine is before the 99.5 model year update. so green coolant with SCA additive is correct.... you can also completely flush and use a polyorganic coolant but thats something you can do at a later time if you wish. I would check the navistar dealer or maybe a truckpro or if there is a NAPA store that is near a commercial trucking area they may know and have the test strips. I bought mine for my older bus at a TruckPro store in columbus ohio.
-Christopher
Old 03-01-2018, 10:18 PM   #34
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
That info is gold!

If you can't find the additive and strips locally dieselmanor.com has Fleetguard SCA and test strips online.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:07 PM   #35
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Any particular brand of SCAs? There's like 2000 additives and they all have microscopic ingredient lists.
I prefer not to mix SCA brands Fleetgard is almost universally available and it is what I use.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:09 PM   #36
Bus Geek

Fleetgard seems to be what the guys on school bus fleet use that are running lots of route busses.. so thats what I use.
-Christopher
Old 03-02-2018, 01:16 PM   #37
Bus Nut

Quote:
OMG this is HUGE. I called my local international dealer and gave them the last 8 of the VIN number and he emailed me my "Line Set Ticket."

This has ALL THE INFO ON MY BUS!

I have the optional engine block heater!!
I DO have a DRAIN VALVE, AUTOMATIC(BENDIX) WITH HEATER
I have 78" of headroom and snow rails, whatever the heck those are. IT TELLS YOU EVERYTHING. He said they used to charge $7 for these but now they will email them for free. Now I have to figure out what a lot of these things ARE. It has the capacity of my sanders. THIS IS AMAZING!!!!
In the pre computer days "line set tickets" were really the only way to accurately order parts for an International Truck (Navistar) most of the information will be foreign to you as it lists part#s for brackets mount pads and other parts unique to that unit but it is also a wealth of info on the base components of your bus keep a copy in your bus during your travels as it will be of use to others needing to service or repair your bus.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:48 PM   #38
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdog 5651 View Post
In the pre computer days "line set tickets" were really the only way to accurately order parts for an International Truck (Navistar) most of the information will be foreign to you as it lists part#s for brackets mount pads and other parts unique to that unit but it is also a wealth of info on the base components of your bus keep a copy in your bus during your travels as it will be of use to others needing to service or repair your bus.
No idea where to post this, but we are on the road to Oregon as of about 20 min. ago. The roads looked good so I feel pretty good about it. We may be asking for help tomorrow, but we should we good tonight.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk