Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2012, 05:30 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Make front of bus separate area?

I have this idea to close off the front of the bus to make it a separate area. The idea would be that there would be the living area of the RV, then there would be the "cockpit", which would contain the driver and passenger seat, all necessary controls, and possibly a separate entrance. The "cockpit" and the living area would be separated by a wall and a door, just like a commercial airplane. The possible application of this would be as a substitute to windshield curtains, etc. I think it's a cool idea, though I'm not sure how practical it would be. Has anyone ever done this, or does anyone think this would have any good uses?

stonestatue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:22 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: Make front of bus separate area?

I was originally going to do this,I planned to move a seat up in line with drivers seat and wall off the cockpit for sound/heat/ac control etc.
Problem on my FE flatnose was the doghouse was not symetrical and there wasnt enuf room on pass side for a seat like I wanted, so I kept front door and moved seat back about 2 feet.
We are still looking at a partition, made out of 3/4 or 7/8 sq steel tubing sheeted on both sides with a door...time will tell
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:16 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

Many of the 45 foot tour buses have a wall and door separating the driver's area from the rest of the bus.

A couple of reasons are that it keeps the driver from being distracted from the partying band members. Also it does provide privacy for the rest of the bus. Just close the door, and no one can see what is going on in the rest of the bus.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #4

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Why?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
Why?
I agree. I enjoy being able to talk to the family/friends when driving.
travelinwithus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #6

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

I wasn't trying to be funny. I was just curious. Maybe there is a reason that I'm missing.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
Why?
I'm thinking the same thing. I have this image of a separate room in my head for some reason and I wanted to present it to people who have actually converted a school bus and get their opinions. I do like the idea of a driver seat that can swivel around to the living room behind.
stonestatue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #8
Bus Geek

One great thing about something you build for yourself is that it is...well...for you.
My plan was to have an easily heated/ac'd area that was quiet...then I drove the FE skoolie
The idea is sound if you want a controlled cabin for 2 people traveling...a family would be different; esp. If only the driver was seperated from everyone else.
My thoughts were to enjoy the ride,then you can easily "seal off" the area that suffored from heat loss/gain and enjoy the mid and rear cabin areas.
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote