Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2009, 10:29 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Me? Scared?

Hi! I'm a skoolie wannabe (with plans coming together slowly but surely) who's been lurking for a few weeks. I clicked on my own name to see what my status would be and it said "scared to post" and I thought no way! Are you serious? Nice trick to get us newbies posting.

I love looking at the pics on this site. A real mixture of melancholy and excitement. I lived in a bus in Alaska for a few years back when my kids were young. I have no clue what kind of bus other than it was extra tall - army issue I think...so raising the roof wasn't necessary. It had a loft on the roof for extra room. I suppose if I posted pics, someone would be able to tell me what kind it was? Ran like a champion when we took it down the Alcan Hwy into Northern Canada. Last I saw it was in Southern BC and that was a long time ago.

Well, it's nice to "meet" you all, I hope to be posting about my own bus in the next year or so. I've got a lot of research and stuff to do before I get there. I'm stoked to have found this place so I can get my "homework" done before I bite the bullet.

I'm just a woman without a clue when it comes to the what, when, where and how of building me a skoolie so I hope people don't mind if I have a ton of questions and yes, I'll remember to do a search first so I don't have to hear the collective sighs of the old hats.

Take care all and happy bussing!
Ireland (in Canada)

Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:39 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Me? Scared?

Dont forget, before you start your bus project, Make sure to drip some blood to the Bus Gods. They want blood one way or another!!! Best to just give it to them in the safest manor possible.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Here is a handful of my silly ideas, But you can also get a free account here for planning. Nothing is overly accurate, as I use it to visually see what I was thinking...

http://www.floorplanner.com/projects/18409730-40-bus

Definitely go though the Photo Gallery, take any pictures you like for future planning and ideas of what you like... My folder is up to 145mb of picture of everything from insulating the floor to raising the roof, and even the appliances that I would like. So many ideas...
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:08 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Take time to learn from everyone else's mistakes. Welcome aboard.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:08 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks!

Thanks much for the welcome! I checked out the floor planner site and I think I'm going to be going through a lot of big mugs of tea and honey while I'm there. Cool site - can't wait to see my own bus plans laid out like that.

Once again, thanks for the welcome, I can't wait to start my bus education. I can see there's no lack of people trying to help - awesome! I'm curious, are there any/many other Canuks on this site?

Cheers,
Ireland
Old 08-23-2009, 12:32 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

People have confused me with a Canuck because my Ranger accent is more Canuck than the average Canadian's (Canadien's) accent. However, I am not Canadian. There are a few on the board here though.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:40 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

ha ha theres only a few canuks here some come some go but some are still here,in BC! I dont think theres many busses in ireland ,at least when i was there,but there was lots of bars and cracky.Only public busses is what i saw.Remember,BC stands for bus country!Welcome to this site,Timbuk!
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:09 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Ahh...a fellow BC bus people! Nice to meet you Timbuk and everyone else that welcomed me.

I haven't been to Ireland yet. It's all in my name for now. I do eat a LOT of potatoes though cuz growing up, if I didn't, my Dad would frown. And no one likes it when their Dad frowns. Cuz they you don't get your allowance...or get to borrow the car...etc...

Take care!
Ireland
in Canada
in BC Canada. Not in Ireland.