Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2020, 08:47 AM   #1

Mercedes Diesel?

I am dreaming about this shorty with a roof-raise built on a 2003 Thomas FS65 195hp 4 cylinder Mercedes diesel (mbe904) Allison 2000 5-Speed O/D transmission.

Saw some nay-sayers on Facebook. Can someone speak to me about their experience with this engine?

Curlyallisons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:38 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Short story: Nobody gets an MBE on purpose.

If i were getting an MBE of that vintage, you can bet it would be the 906 instead. Basically the same engine, but 50% bigger.

There are some folks here who will stick up for them but usually they're talking about how great they are in a fleet setting with fleet mechanics and fleet prices on parts. You can get parts and service at your local Freightliner center, but be prepared to pay Freightliner prices. Since the market penetration for the 900 series was so much less than Navistar and Cummins, you are unlikley to be impressed with how long it takes to get parts for an engine discontinued 15 years ago. The 904 will also be less powerful than the Cummins 5.9 or T444E which a lot of folks (not me) say are underpowered for a bus.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:10 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
my only experience is as Brokedown says talking to people running the MBE in fleet.. from what I understand the 904 is woefully underpowered.. the MBE906 is a reliable engine but requires pricey parts iof it breaks and you cant fix it yourself..

a shorty bus with a 5.9 or 444E is fine.. I Haul ass in my shorty with a 444E.. and those 2 engines have a lot of aftermarket parts support..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, mercedes, shortbus