Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2016, 09:52 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Mexico Bus suggestions?

NOTICE: THIS IS NOT A TRAVEL SAFETY POST! JUST A QUESTION REGARDING BUS CHOICE.

Hey Everyone,

I have been bus "shopping" for a while. I have looked at some Crown's, Bluebird's and a Thomas. I really love the Crown but we will see how that comes out...

A question occurred to me this morning as my Wife and I were talking about Mexico. We have taken our 5er down there behind my Dodge and had no issues. Dodge dealerships and small diesel shops that are familiar with the 5.9 Cummins are generally available.

What if we are taking a bus next year?

Anyone here have any idea of service & parts availability, for the rigs we talk about here, while traveling in Mexico?

Any particular builder or drive train choices that should be avoided due to lack of parts/service in Mexico?

I know that the Cummins 5.9 and Detroit 2-strokes are widely used and parts/service are available. Other than those, what have you seen widely used in Mexico?

Anyone ever had any trouble getting a TIP on a Skoolie?

Thanks

Steve

PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:40 AM   #2
Bus Nut

All I know is front engine will be much better on dusty, undeveloped roads as the dust plume suffocates rear engine air intakes. Since they buy up so many of our old conventionals anyways I'd guess any model popular here is equally popular there and so should be as parts available as you're going to find. I'd guess the 444 and 466 are very common since they're common as mud here. The highly sought after big engines we prize on this forum are probably actually less popular there.
jake_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:23 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake_blue View Post
All I know is front engine will be much better on dusty, undeveloped roads as the dust plume suffocates rear engine air intakes. Since they buy up so many of our old conventionals anyways I'd guess any model popular here is equally popular there and so should be as parts available as you're going to find. I'd guess the 444 and 466 are very common since they're common as mud here. The highly sought after big engines we prize on this forum are probably actually less popular there.
Thanks for the input.

If service/parts availability is good on the DT466 in Mexico that is good news.

Also good news is I have rarely found in needful to drive on dirt roads in Mexico. The primary exception is leaving the paved road to get to the beach.

My last trip was 5000 miles passing through 6 states (4US & 2MX) and the worst roads of the whole trip were in.........California....
Old 07-05-2016, 12:24 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
One thing I noticed in all my trips in Mexico by bus - all buses there, except for the new transit buses in Mexico City, have manual transmissions. Some of them may possibly be automated manuals, but I saw no normal (to us) Allison automatic transmissions there in buses. All the new Mercedes, MAN, Volvo and Scania have manuals, usually with miniature shifters, and the more basic front-engine city buses are plain ol' manual with a clutch. This means that if you have an Allison automatic and something goes wrong with it in MX, it possibly may be more difficult to get it fixed there.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:07 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Well, a bit of checking shows 18 Allison factory service centers in Mexico.

So says Allison's website. Anyone have any first hand experience having an Allison serviced in Mexico.

That said... There are two Crown's with 4 sale signs and 5 speed manuals that I have found so far.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:34 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Following up:

Has anyone had issue getting their TIP?

I have been following, on another board, the trouble that folks have been having this year with 3/4 & 1 ton pickups. That has me concerned again about taking a converted bus.

The simple fact that my pickup is a dually caused a fair bit of confusion regarding TIP and proper tolls on the toll roads.

What have you all seen?

Thanks.

S.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:24 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

I have been around buses for more than 40-years.

But all of my experience has been in OR and WA.

So you will have to forgive me when I have to ask what may sound like a stupid question coming from me.

What is TIP?
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:32 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Temporary Import Permit - needed to take a vehicle into Mexico if you're going more than a few miles from the border.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:56 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Maybe I should revise the question.......

Has anyone here tried to take their converted school bus into Mexico??
Old 10-12-2016, 07:19 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/cr...lie-13292.html

more information can be found here
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:51 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAOLIK View Post
Thank you.

Good information. I used the site search tool before I posted and came up empty. I didn't think using Google to search the site.

Thanks again.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:21 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
Mexico scares me to death. A few years back our friends were kidnapped in there RV which the kidnappers sold and then they were killed because they didn't get ransomed. I don't go any where my 2 amendment rights cant go.

Traveling there and vacationing in a resort is a huge difference. Americans are all rich so even the cops want a cut. You want Mexican try Sedro Wooley WA. Be safe where ever you go and have some cash to offer up and not a $20.
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:42 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Thanks for the input.

If service/parts availability is good on the DT466 in Mexico that is good news.

Also good news is I have rarely found in needful to drive on dirt roads in Mexico. The primary exception is leaving the paved road to get to the beach.

My last trip was 5000 miles passing through 6 states (4US & 2MX) and the worst roads of the whole trip were in.........California....
Sorry, Texan.
What? Mexico has states and paved roads?
Only place I have ever been across the border was Tijuana as a Marine and homemade tequilla landed me in the naval hospital.
Not saying there people here are bad? I have a lot of friends in the construction world and we communicate one way or another. And I have been invited several times to visit there families with them all expenses paid except for the paycheck I would lose.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:08 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo Jeff View Post
Mexico scares me to death. A few years back our friends were kidnapped in there RV which the kidnappers sold and then they were killed because they didn't get ransomed. I don't go any where my 2 amendment rights cant go.

Traveling there and vacationing in a resort is a huge difference. Americans are all rich so even the cops want a cut. You want Mexican try Sedro Wooley WA. Be safe where ever you go and have some cash to offer up and not a $20.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Sorry, Texan.
What? Mexico has states and paved roads?
Only place I have ever been across the border was Tijuana as a Marine and homemade tequilla landed me in the naval hospital.
Not saying there people here are bad? I have a lot of friends in the construction world and we communicate one way or another. And I have been invited several times to visit there families with them all expenses paid except for the paycheck I would lose.

To each their own. I have traveled Mexico off & on for the last 30 years and, while exercising some common sense, felt as safe as I do in the US.

I have been a few places that I didn't care for. One example is the famous Hussong's Cantina. Way too many drunk & obnoxious customers. Mostly Americans.

As far as Sedro Wolley goes, I avoid the place. Would you really feel safe in a place where you are likely to get shot going to the shopping mall?

I have been to a few resorts in Mexico and did enjoy them but to see the "Real Mexico" you have to get out of the tourist areas. Enjoy the people, culture, food, architecture and natural beauty.