Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 12:05 AM   #41
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
I read about the 1000 mile rule and they are being really strict with that. IDK how they are tracking, but they are.

And why would you want to try? Just convert to RV and never worry about it again.
My friend who is an owner/operator of a tractor with a 53 foot trailer has the rent another truck to drive California... or drive at night on back roads, but it's hard to hide 53 feet.

But that's a commercial truck, not a privately owned former school bus.

It might be easy to do RV in CA, but it might not. I left the state before registering. Here in MA I was told when I tried to register as an RV that without a plumbed flush toilet and an electric pump for water (I use a foot pump) I could not register as an RV. I have no idea if that was right or not because since my bus is a van on the title I just went with that and registered as a van.

Old 08-29-2019, 12:08 AM   #42
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
Yeah, I'll never go to California willingly. Freaking zealots.
I've lived in Ca for nearly 70 years and if I could figure out a way to get out of Dodge I'd be gone. My wife likes the weather--though not much else.

I guess it is just a personal preference.
Jack
And here I am stuck in MA, missing California ever day. I went there kicking and screaming about how much I hated it there. Took me 3 years to realize how much I loved it. I lived there for 20 years and can't wait to go back.
Old 08-29-2019, 04:29 AM   #43
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I see a huge market of used rust free buses coming up soon.

Why would CA buses be rust free? I thought CA was all either ocean, mountainous, or rained/snowed in land except for the Southern deserts.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:17 AM   #44
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Even in its wettest coastal areas Cali averages less than 75 days with rain.. there’s also the fact that anyplace in or east of the main mountain ranges will be drier and fully isolated from salt breeze.
Road salt is far more damaging than coastal salt from what I’ve seen. As example While some rust happens on very coastal Florida busses it’s much less severe than areas where road salt is used. I also believe that the extra strict inspections on the west coast in general result in busses in good mechanicals also often being sold.
What I don’t know is if California will allow those non complaints to be sold off or will create compelling programs for reposed or replacement requiring the original drivetrain or bus be destroyed.. remember California wants to push its views on everyone so theyd like to see these vehicles crushed not exported
Old 08-29-2019, 06:50 AM   #45
Bus Nut

Having a fleet of vehicles in the beautiful state of California here’s how CARB and the diesel cops (yes thee is such a thing) working with DMV will get you. Commercial trucks and buses. Not motor homes. MH are exempt for now. When the liberal people in our capital are met with pissed off people with pitchforks and torches- then just and only then will they find the squandering of funds and actually killing small businesses with over regulations and more bureaucracies like CARB, and the diesel cops.... just another means to suck money out of a huge sector. Imagine forcing all older trucks into the junk yard and new trucks being purchased to replace them. THE SALES TAXES FLOWING INTO THE COFFERS is enormous!!!
Sorry rant over. I think I’ll drive my Skoolie to the beach and relax.
Cheers
Old 08-29-2019, 07:00 AM   #46
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Road salt is far more damaging than coastal salt from what I’ve seen. As example While some rust happens on very coastal Florida busses it’s much less severe than areas where road salt is used.
My bus is from Buffalo (and Syracuse in its later life) and while the bus is generally rusty on the underside, the worst damage (around the wheel wells and the back wall) is attributable to leaking windows and failed gaskets on the back lights - like, you can actually see the rivers of rust from these sources on the inside, coalescing to the wheel wells and back corners.

While I'm sure some salty water or melted salty snow would have come through these leaks and made the corrosion even worse (and generally having less healthy metal on the underside so it's easier for interior rust to go all the way through), a salt-free but wet environment would still have left my bus pretty severely rusted inside. I wonder to what extent other factors are relevant to the damage to buses around here, like poor maintenance (not washing and allowing to dry regularly) and the effects of regularly having snow packed into the windows etc. etc.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:48 AM   #47
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtdoctor View Post
Having a fleet of vehicles in the beautiful state of California here’s how CARB and the diesel cops (yes thee is such a thing) working with DMV will get you. Commercial trucks and buses. Not motor homes. MH are exempt for now. When the liberal people in our capital are met with pissed off people with pitchforks and torches- then just and only then will they find the squandering of funds and actually killing small businesses with over regulations and more bureaucracies like CARB, and the diesel cops.... just another means to suck money out of a huge sector. Imagine forcing all older trucks into the junk yard and new trucks being purchased to replace them. THE SALES TAXES FLOWING INTO THE COFFERS is enormous!!!
Sorry rant over. I think I’ll drive my Skoolie to the beach and relax.
Cheers
I'm a liberal, and I think what's happening is absolutely awful. So many carriers have gone out of business under the weight of regulation.

Anti-truck sentiment has gotten ridiculous. People have lost all understanding of how the things they buy get to their homes.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:50 AM   #48
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
Why would CA buses be rust free? I thought CA was all either ocean, mountainous, or rained/snowed in land except for the Southern deserts.
When I got to MA with my CA bus everyone marveled at the lack of rust. After just one winter in the northeast, I've got more rust than had accumulated in 27 years in CA.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:56 AM   #49
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
cradle-to-grave studies arent used in these decisions.. cradle-to-grave. are studies that measure the amount of environmentel impact from the sourcing of raw materials t othe recycling or land-filling of items.. vehicles are in the forefront.. in many times that "green" car is actually worse over-all for the environment due to processes used in manufacturing it new and having to dispose of it when its useful life is over or its destroyed..

things such with busses as EPA programs to replace them where the originals must be destroyed.. all of that metal / plastic / glass / seats.. windows..computers.. etc that is NEVER re-used is simply ruined.. and a new bus made with brand new seats..windows..dashboiards..computers.. to replace perfectly good unit... the cradle-to-grave study would show the amount of waste would take MANY years of clean-diesel-burn to catch up to the emissions output by the refining or recycling of the materials to make a new bus.. (emissions required to recycle the old metal and separate the pieces apart on the old bus)..

but politically these studies Break the lobbies (yes bus companies love these regs.. they raise their prices more than it costs to comply and they sell more units)... these studies politically break the idealism of the agenda. which is ultimately to control the american's lives more....
Old 08-29-2019, 08:10 AM   #50
Bus Nut

Quote:
cradle-to-grave studies arent used in these decisions.. cradle-to-grave. are studies that measure the amount of environmentel impact from the sourcing of raw materials t othe recycling or land-filling of items.. vehicles are in the forefront.. in many times that "green" car is actually worse over-all for the environment due to processes used in manufacturing it new and having to dispose of it when its useful life is over or its destroyed..

things such with busses as EPA programs to replace them where the originals must be destroyed.. all of that metal / plastic / glass / seats.. windows..computers.. etc that is NEVER re-used is simply ruined.. and a new bus made with brand new seats..windows..dashboiards..computers.. to replace perfectly good unit... the cradle-to-grave study would show the amount of waste would take MANY years of clean-diesel-burn to catch up to the emissions output by the refining or recycling of the materials to make a new bus.. (emissions required to recycle the old metal and separate the pieces apart on the old bus)..

but politically these studies Break the lobbies (yes bus companies love these regs.. they raise their prices more than it costs to comply and they sell more units)... these studies politically break the idealism of the agenda. which is ultimately to control the american's lives more....
I aggree. What a waste.

The "gross polluter" buyback program in CA is, I think, an example of how to do it without so much waste. The deal is, if you buy a vehicle of a certain age and drive it for two years or longer, after two years you can sell it to the state for $1000. The rule is it has to be running and able to drive into their lot on its own, which prevents people from buying a junker just to turn in. The state then destroys the car. When I lived there I'd buy a $1000 Craigslist Ford Ranger and either drive it till it died or drive it the two years, at which time I would get paid, then use the money to buy the next car. State accomplishes the goal of getting the car off the street, consumer is happy because of the pay out. It's a slow process of getting rid of the old vehicles but it seems more sensible.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:57 AM   #51
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Quote:

Thank you for en eloquent, factual and non emotional statement stating the facts.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:05 AM   #52
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
I've lived in Ca for nearly 70 years and if I could figure out a way to get out of Dodge I'd be gone. My wife likes the weather--though not much else.

I guess it is just a personal preference.
Jack
We have another house in Arizona. Can buy anything you want, ammo, paint, real paint thinner, guns, cheap gas, ethanol free gas the list goes on. That was (my) our solution.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:28 AM   #53
Bus Nut

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner HDX
Engine: CAT C7 300hp w/retarder
Rated Cap: 46 + 1 36,200 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I see a huge market of used rust free buses coming up soon.

I spent a decade living in CA. Many happy memories and glad to get out in 1994.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:40 AM   #54
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivetboy View Post
You paint with quite a wide brush for someone so young and inexperienced.

Zealots run California, and have for quite a while. I'm not sure what "wide brush" you're referring to, one shouldn't have to preface any and all statements of fact with #NotAll.

Of course there's nuance. Just like "young and inexperienced" doesn't always mean incorrect. I'm fine with settling this as a difference of opinion.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:45 AM   #55
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
California wants to push its views on everyone so theyd like to see these vehicles crushed not exported
The bus yard fleet manager says that almost all go to Mexico where they are being used for public transit.
Old 08-29-2019, 04:22 PM   #56
Bus Nut

Quote:
Zealots run California, and have for quite a while. I'm not sure what "wide brush" you're referring to, one shouldn't have to preface any and all statements of fact with #NotAll.

Of course there's nuance. Just like "young and inexperienced" doesn't always mean incorrect. I'm fine with settling this as a difference of opinion.
When you call my family and all of my freinds and coworkers "zealots" with never meeting or knowing anyone of them you insult me and all of them with your ignorance. I bet you make your judgement on what you have read on the internet and probably have never lived here or earned a living here. I would love to see you call a room full of people "zealots" up front and personal instead of your safe space on the internet. Finally, I do not give a rat's ---- whether you are fine or not. So my point, since it seem to fly right over your head, is calling the entire population of California "zealots" is painting with a wide brush. Duh
Old 08-29-2019, 04:41 PM   #57
Bus Crazy

Quote:
When you call my family and all of my freinds and coworkers "zealots"
Full stop, I didn't do that. Even if all of your friends and family work for the Californian government, I didn't do that. Grow up.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:08 PM   #58
Bus Nut

Quote:
Try to remember what you post when rebutting as it makes you look foolish when your own words are quoted back at you. Thanks for the suggestion to grow up but growing old is the preface to dying and dying does not sound like all that much fun. Besides, already made it to retirement. Moving on...
Old 08-29-2019, 05:19 PM   #59
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Try to remember what you post when rebutting as it makes you look foolish when your own words are quoted back at you.
You're putting words in my mouth by intentionally misinterpreting me. I didn't say the entire population let alone all of your family or friends, and I clarified this in my second post. It sounds to me like you're looking for something that isn't there. I agree, lets move on.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:30 PM   #60
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
We have another house in Arizona. Can buy anything you want, ammo, paint, real paint thinner, guns, cheap gas, ethanol free gas the list goes on. That was (my) our solution.

Mohave County?
Closed Thread