Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2015, 08:18 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
motor mounts

i have a 96 thomas er with a 8.3, the rubber is falling off the mounts on either side of the motor. anyone change these themselves, any links to parts would be great. thank you

superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:10 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Diesels tend too be rough on motor mounts. Good idea to check and or replace when they get tired. Need to jack up the motor and from there pretty easy nut & bolt job on most.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:45 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
noticed that my motor mounts were in sad shape as well.

blue bird and the cummins 5.9 seems to have a unique set up different than other vehicles that use the same motor.

there is a front mount under the harmonic balancer that i'm having trouble locating. any help appreciated..
Old 03-16-2016, 03:50 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

i can find the steel pieces of the motor mount in the service manual. but i cant find the rubber insert that should be there.

front motor mount:
Old 05-19-2016, 09:05 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

i finally got the new motor mount from cummins.

they gave me the option of overnighting the part to me and now i wish i had taken them up on it. just a bit under 60 days from ordering the part for it to arrive.

getting the old mount out was the hardest part, this sleeve was tough!!~!!

but an hydraulic press won the job and got everything back together.

the motor isnt riding on metal any more........

boy, did it make a difference in the cab noise too!!!

nice and smooth
Old 05-19-2016, 09:24 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Nice job, and look you don't have a 53 block.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:27 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
You're probably causing a lot of people to go out and look at their motor mounts now. Is Cummins the only place to get the mounts?
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:33 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

that front mount was cummins only. there are 2 more side mounts that are international truck numbers.

the front one is part of the cummins 5.9, the side ones are parts of the body.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:42 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
You'll find Cummins with a dozen or so different mounts because they are speced by the chassis builder. Supposedly the best are Lord fluid mounts but they are crazy expensive, hard to find and tend to wear pretty quickly. Others are solid but transmit more vibes. Depending on what you started with, most can be found at any big auto parts store for a fraction of the "OEM" price. The hardest part is that these days, auto countermen don't know squat about auto parts. Back in the day, you could walk in with just about any component and the guys would recognize the make, model and year as well as know a half dozen crossovers that would work. Not any more. If you don't have a VIN number to look up on a computer...they are totally lost.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:04 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

after international said they didnt have the mount, i tried cummins, and they swore up and down that they did'nt have the mount. (parts guy).

then i learned of cummin's quickserve. find your EIN (engine ID number), and where you can find all part numbers on your motor.

that front mount showed up with a part number and i was in business. I called cummins back and ordered the bushing.

as i stated previously,i declined the overnight overnight shipping and waited and waited. 6 weeks or so, and i call cummins back to check on the part. the first parts guy said again, cummins doesnt make motor mounts, and couldnt find my order, name..... anything.

i hung up and called back with the part number off of the cummins quickserve. and boom, the part was sitting there, waiting to be shipped to me.

it took another week to get the new one installed, but im glad..... motor is smooth now, much less clatter that i had accepted as usual.

just a few days over 60 from start to finish....par for the course.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:09 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
You'll find Cummins with a dozen or so different mounts because they are speced by the chassis builder. Supposedly the best are Lord fluid mounts but they are crazy expensive, hard to find and tend to wear pretty quickly. Others are solid but transmit more vibes. Depending on what you started with, most can be found at any big auto parts store for a fraction of the "OEM" price. The hardest part is that these days, auto countermen don't know squat about auto parts. Back in the day, you could walk in with just about any component and the guys would recognize the make, model and year as well as know a half dozen crossovers that would work. Not any more. If you don't have a VIN number to look up on a computer...they are totally lost.
Sad but this is getting truer everyday, I needed front calipers for my 70 Ford motorhome, Auto zone, O reillys, carQuest , Napa told me Ford never made motorhome chassis in 1970 because it wasn't in the computer, I went down to the Napa here in town because I know that one of the parts counter girls used to work at another parts house next town over & has been in the business 30 yrs, told her what I had & believe it or not SHE PULLED OUT A BOOK!!!!!!. an old book at that
but in just a few minutes had a part number & it was on order. Had to return 3 hrs later to pick them up ut I had it.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:41 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
I have a lot of heavy truck stores around me for now and they can get the part but if I ain't a trucker or with a company I have to piss them off before they talk to me and then at that point i don't want a damn thing they sell? Thought it was me? But after 6-7 heavy truck places and the same issue I knew that they only cared about making money not talking or giving advice?
NAPA might not have it in stock but in the store but you can damn well believe that book is there and you can find what you are looking far even if the one your talking to dont know the book?
My napa girl found a backup light pressure switch that everyone else said didn't exist.
Damn computers have everyone have everyone mucked?
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 04:34 AM   #13

Hey Turf, could you help me out? I have a cummins 5.9 which I have put into a 50's Bedford Truck/camper conversion, the front engine mount is identical to yours and has a worn out bush! I'm in the UK and have no chance of getting one here.Would you be kind enough to give me the part number and address,email and phone number of the company you bought yours from? My email is jrcbayliss@aol.com. Cheers Jayson
Jayson is offline   Reply With Quote