Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2014, 03:56 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Moving back North

Well it has become official, we are moving back to Maine in a couple of weeks. We have been in Dallas for 6 years and just never managed to fit in here, so we are vacating before the HEAT returns. We sold our bus last week but it went to a nice gentleman who is planning to move the contents of his 1977 gasser over to it and make it his new mobile toolbox/shop. I am not sure if/when we will have the opportunity to get another bus, but we will be looking to buy a house up there and so we should have room for it. We didn't want to sell our bus but it was not large enough for all of our stuff and we don't have extra driver for it. I was surprised how sad I felt watching her drive away with someone else behind the wheel. I lurked here for a very long time before buying the bus and will continue to be around moving forward. We will keep y'all updated on our location as we are looking to be near Sebago Lake and may have space for someone to come park a bus for a week or 2 to enjoy Maine. The spring through summer and into fall are spectacular.

Malkieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:48 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Moving back North

It's like watching another guy take the girl you used to enjoy off to the hotel room.

Good luck.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:27 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Good luck with the move,
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:07 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Best of luck in Maine. Let us know how it goes..

damn,
It's going to be friggin "COLD" there this coming winter...
stock up on some fire wood, you'll need it.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:20 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

I, for one, am jealous. I'm not quite far enough north now. But I understand the taxes in the Pine Tree State are becoming "killah" like the rest of the Northeast.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:49 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Yeah they call it "taxationland" but it is still a beautiful place to live
Old 03-15-2014, 03:55 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

Well that sucks.... hate to see someone close move off. Seems lots of those who are from the NE that come down here have a hard time dealing with the heat. Its no joke that is for sure but we would probably say the same about your winters? Judging how this last year has gone Ill take my blast furnace.

Good luck with your move. Safe travels.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:51 PM   #8
Bus Nut

I couldn't disagree more about the heat... you can always get warmer. Hell you can burn furniture if it really comes down to it, but you can't do much about the heat. It's not just the heat though, there are a number of factors that drive New Englanders back north. We have had a really tough time finding a place we "fit in" around here. Dallas especially is very much about how much $$ you make or appear to make. The hardest part for us though is the overwhelming desire for conformity here in the Dallas area. The right house, car, church, hair, clothes, accent, school, drink, guns, thoughts, political views, restaurants, activities, the list is exhausting. We also speak our minds and don't play the Dallas polite to your face stab your back game. It has been really rough for us here, we just don't fit in or understand Dallas-ites. Every street looks the same, with the same houses and the strip-malls filled with the correct recipe of big box stores to serve the needs of those nearby. Chain eateries as far as you can see. On top of that you have 2 versions of "brown season" Hot and Cold with a bit of green showing through in between when the weather is pleasant for like a month. I am a Florida Native, raised in Miami and I have seen the same things there. I am not trying to put anyone down or be nasty, it is all just really hard to adjust to somethings so foreign. I had never seen adults who jump at an F-bomb like they do here. There are some wonderful people we have gotten to know, but they are just enough to off-set all the other differences. I will be relieved to put Dallas in the rear-view, we have grown and learned much while here, but it is time to go. If you want to see what summer SHOULD be come on up and visit Maine when you're ready! We'll boil a bunch of Lobster and get hammid on beeahs!
Old 03-15-2014, 11:19 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

Those things can be said about anyone.... anywhere..... any time. I do agree with a lot of them about the image of Dallas... to me its always been that way as I have lived in Ft Worth most of my life and we thought that way about Dallas.

I have traveled to many places in my life and I one fact remains.... rich people are snobs. So trying to fit in with snobs when you are not one.... well it just wont happen. The saying is true birds of a feather flock together. So one must continue to look for things and places where you are comfortable and fit in. I have always beaten my own drum at my own beat and people have thought I was kind of a nut job but that's ok... I am not here to make them happy. I do things that I enjoy that make me happy so if others don't pick up what I throw down.... well screw them. It only take two people to have a party. I will continue to look for that others who dig the groove that I am cutting.

I agree you can make it warmer. Being bubba sized I am much better built for cold than I am for the hot, plus no one wants to see the fat middle aged naked white guy.

Well I wish you safe travels.... I hope yoooouse make it up dare safely.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:55 AM   #10
Bus Nut

quote: I will be relieved to put Dallas in the rear-view :quote
There's a song about that!

"Happiness is Texas in my rear view mirror"

Enjoy it while in drive away... We did when we left Ft. Hood, Tx many years ago.......
Old 05-17-2014, 08:13 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: international

[quote="Malkieri"]Well it has become official, we are moving back to Maine in a couple of weeks. We have been in Dallas for 6 years and just never managed to fit in here, so we are vacating before the HEAT returns. We sold our bus last week but it went to a nice gentleman who is planning to move the contents of his 1977 gasser over to it and make it his new mobile toolbox/shop. I am not sure if/when we will have the opportunity to get another bus, but we will be looking to buy a house up there and so we should have room for it. We didn't want to sell our bus but it was not large enough for all of our stuff and we don't have extra driver for it. I was surprised how sad I felt watching her drive away with someone else behind the wheel. I lurked here for a very long time before buying the bus and will continue to be around moving forward. We will keep y'all updated on our location as we are looking to be near Sebago Lake and may have space for someone to come park a bus for a week or 2 to enjoy Maine. The spring through summer and into fall are spectacular. [/quot

welcome to maine , winters are good to, long but ok.i live near sebago. been here all my life,
junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:48 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

but leave the accent in texas if you ever come here,its kind of insulting
Old 05-24-2014, 11:44 AM   #13
Skoolie

Maine is a nice state. The views are great. I stay there for about 2 weeks a year, one near the coast, and one in Rangeley or around the lakes region. Cost a ton though for 7 people, Last year I paid 1600 for 6 nights at a cottage in York, and I pay about 800 for a weeks accommodations in Rangeley. Im gonna save alot with my skoolie...

Also, its not as cold as most people think in the winter.
jmar896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:10 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Well we have been here for a couple months now and have really enjoyed being back home. We are in Bridgton for another week or 2, we got a great deal on a beautiful little vacation rental. We got the time between ski season at Shawnee peak and summer season on Moose Pond. We may take the canoe out on the pond this week if we can find a few minutes. We are buying a house in Waterboro, and should be closing in the next 2 weeks.
As to the accent, I never picked up the Texas accent, so I got nothing to leave there.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:51 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmar896
Maine is a nice state. The views are great. I stay there for about 2 weeks a year, one near the coast, and one in Rangeley or around the lakes region. Cost a ton though for 7 people, Last year I paid 1600 for 6 nights at a cottage in York, and I pay about 800 for a weeks accommodations in Rangeley. Im gonna save alot with my skoolie...

Also, its not as cold as most people think in the winter.
hi, iam glad you like it.rangeley s 40 miles south of us,i have the view of the lake on a good day,winters are not as bad if your prepared with plenty of projects.this was a long winter with temp at 45-50 below