Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2008, 10:56 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas saf-t-liner
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 40
moving while parked

Just thought I'd start one off on who rides around on what while they are parked. Motorcycle;bike;tricked out mini-bike;goped;uni-cycle;skateboards;pogosticks lets have it whats your riide of choice?

recycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 02:05 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19
Re: moving while parked

Motorcycle. It's good to chase the nice weather.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:48 PM   #3
Skoolie

I can see the motorcycle vision clearly except for the loadiing height of the rear of my bus is like for feet. Maybe some kind of loading ramp from the side? How are you hauling your bike? I was thinking along the line of a nice vintage mini-bike. Mainly because it would be easy to load and be somewhat practical to go get some groceries or just tour around whatever town I might be hunting for wvo in. However they can be pricey so maybe a fixer project
Old 11-09-2008, 02:17 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycler
I can see the motorcycle vision clearly except for the loadiing height of the rear of my bus is like for feet. Maybe some kind of loading ramp from the side? How are you hauling your bike? I was thinking along the line of a nice vintage mini-bike. Mainly because it would be easy to load and be somewhat practical to go get some groceries or just tour around whatever town I might be hunting for wvo in. However they can be pricey so maybe a fixer project
I tow a motorcycle trailer. It is a bit hairy loading and unloading the 430 lb bike by myself, but if I stay focused, it seems to go smoothly.
Since my moto is my only source of transportation (other than the bus) I got a modern dependable one, because it has to do everything from grocery-getting to jaunts of several hundred miles on the highway to sightseeing from dirt roads. For these purposes my Suzuki DL650 V-strom has served very well.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:23 AM   #5
Skoolie

Nice pics The old trail bikes are awesome with those wide bars and the crazy comfortable candy bar seats which are usually all weathered but the one in the pics looks great. I'm still thinking smaller than that, as in super mini bike. Like something about 30 inches tall but same era and style pretty much. There would be many times when I'll wish that I had somethiing bigger but I'm hoping to be able to stow it away as easily as possible.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:25 AM   #6

Year: 1973
Coachwork: carpenter
Chassis: gmc
Engine: v6 pusher

i'll be pulling a big lawnmower trailer so i can carry my citroen 2cv with me. just at 1000 lbs, 2 cylinder, 4 speed, 60 mpg and just dang cool.
gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:15 PM   #7
Bus Nut

I just haul the Jeep with me...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:25 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

i have heard the jeep is the best to tow because of camber setup ive heard of tie rods worn out from towing certain cars whats the best and whats the worst?
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:52 PM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 6.2 liter diesel
Rated Cap: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycler
Just thought I'd start one off on who rides around on what while they are parked. Motorcycle;bike;tricked out mini-bike;goped;uni-cycle;skateboards;pogosticks lets have it whats your riide of choice?
I have a couple of these I tool around on:

I still don't know how or where I'm going to carry them in my shorty bus but I will find a way!

-Ray
Old 11-16-2008, 12:00 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Webb
What if I stuffed this
into the back of this
and pull it with this?
I think you'd be all set!
Old 11-16-2008, 02:26 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Long bed regular cab 3rd gen...cool truck. They flat tow really well. Unlock the front hubs (I'm hoping you don't have auto hubs or the ADD system), and take the 4 bolts out of the driveshaft on the rear. You can tow that truck without pulling the rear shaft for short distances, but I wouldn't do it any further than necessary. If you do decide to tow with the rear driveshaft on leave the t-case in 2-Hi and put the tranny in neutral. Toyota t-cases don't have a true neutral. In neutral the rear output is disconnected from the input, but is engaged to the front output so in t-case neutral you would be spinning the rear shaft, part of the t-case, and the front shaft along with the diff and axleshafts.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:34 PM   #12
Skoolie

Waddup J! Yeah man like the other guy said find a way to mount on the front bumper, that way you can tow and open the back door for whatever. Also you can see if your bike is about to or fell off. You can ask me why I say this next time I see you.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:49 PM   #13
Bus Nut

I don't know about the camber etc... But the Jeep 4x4 is easy to set-up, baseplates are readily available, easy to self install, and even the tail lights have special red lens chambers for adding tow light kits to them. The part that really makes them good for towing is the manual transfer case goes into neutral, the transmission stays in park...you can tow all day long without need to start the motor or pump fluids, and a gazzilion mies later the Jeep has no added mileage because it is still in PARK...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:05 PM   #14
Almost There

Year: 92
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneCamping
I don't know about the camber etc... But the Jeep 4x4 is easy to set-up, baseplates are readily available, easy to self install, and even the tail lights have special red lens chambers for adding tow light kits to them. The part that really makes them good for towing is the manual transfer case goes into neutral, the transmission stays in park...you can tow all day long without need to start the motor or pump fluids, and a gazzilion mies later the Jeep has no added mileage because it is still in PARK...
Had a customer who goofed on that with a manual trans jeep, trans supposed to be in reverse and transfer case in neutral, customer had trans in reverse and accidentally got t-case in 4-lo, took off in his motor home headin down the highway 60mph or so until the engine compartment of the jeep actually burst into flames, oil pump running backwards make no oil pressure and engine spinning ungodly rpm, he had a good insurance policy though, company called it an act of god and paid for new motor, wiring harness, body work
bbbrt76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:00 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneCamping
Adding in additional camber really wouldn't be difficult for an alignment shop that has a tech that knows what he is doing. It might make the Jeep somewhat harder to handle when you're driving it, but power steering pumps rarely go into bypass unless you are trying to move the curb with your tire leading me to believe there is plenty of power assist reserve capacity.

As for towing with the transfer case in neutral...that is debateable. A lot is going to depend on what transfer case you have in the first place. If you have an old CJ or FSJ with a Dana 20 or Dana 300 then I would see no problems in driving that in neutral. I think they would be more than capable of slinging 80w90 off the gears in neutral though truth be told, I like to pack the rear output bearings with grease on old gear drives like that. I'm not sure how long the grease lasts and they're supposed to be oil bath bearings, but I don't always trust those slingers.

Now if you own a slightly newer Jeep with an NP231 (like an XJ, YJ, or MJ) it is not a good idea to tow without pulling the rear shaft because the front and rear outputs get tied together like on the Toyotas. Now somewhere down the line (I know in 1999, but maybe earlier?) the range and mode functions were liberated via a small modification to an internal shift collar.

Other Jeeps have rather elaborate full time 4wd setups, but I don't think they are what you're going to find tagging along as the average toad, but if you did you would need to pull the rear shaft.

All things considered I could keep rambling on with reasons why you should pull the rear shaft, but I can only come up with one good reason not to and that's that you just plain don't want to do the work. And that is fine. I just like the piece of mind that comes with removing 4 bolts.

Toyota guys have a cool, albeit expensive option available to them. Front Range Offroad makes a full floating conversion kit for the Toyota rear axles that's going to get you disc brakes and more strength. You can break an axleshaft with their conversion and it won't matter. The wheel will still stay on. That's nice piece of mind. But the best part of the conversion is that you get manual locking hubs for the rear as well. Turn 4 dials and you've totally 100% disconnected your driveline. Unfortunately, the kit is $669 and you still need to source load Supra calipers and a bunch of 79-85 solid front axle parts which are getting to be a bit expensive with the limited aftermarket. They aren't making any more of those parts...

Old 12-04-2008, 11:49 AM   #16
Skoolie

Sorry this is off subject but how can I get one of those cool U.S where i've been maps that color in?
Old 12-04-2008, 04:15 PM   #17
Bus Nut

I think I saw one on Power Point
oldog12 is offline   Reply With Quote