Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2016, 11:32 PM   #81
Bus Nut

Has anyone ever tried to change the buses aerodynamics?
http://www.airtab.com/application-rv.htm

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:06 AM   #82
Mini-Skoolie

Smoothing the underbelly will probably get similar or better increase in mileage with extra storage too
retiredChemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:51 AM   #83
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootalltechie View Post
Has anyone ever tried to change the buses aerodynamics?
Airtab | Aerodynamic Fuel Savers | Application

I was wondering about these as well, not really sure how well they will work, I do see them on some hwy trucks, I'm they might help around the mirrors and drivers window for noise, I hate wind noise, and I will try them for that purpose,
gbstewart
Old 11-06-2016, 09:02 AM   #84
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
id like to fimd something that would kill the driver-window negartive pressure created by the mirors... so that maybe icould actually get air IN my driver window when I open it rather than it sucking air out... and consequently sucking Nasty heat from the engine compartment into the bus... if tried a couple things but havent been succesfult yet.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:08 AM   #85
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Here is one concept...

Illinois teen’s invention helps school buses run more efficiently | Midwest Energy News
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:55 AM   #86
Bus Nut

That's an interesting add on and saves a projected 10% on fuel. Link in the story is old and broken 😣

Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 03:35 PM   #87
Skoolie

our buses here don't have a/c - not enough need for the cost of it.

BUT there is a secret - at least on an unmodified school bus - we open the back two windows then control the airflow in the bus with just the drivers slider window.

Amazing how well it works.

So you just need a 'hole' in the back someplace - window roof vent, etc and I bet you'd get the same results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
id like to fimd something that would kill the driver-window negartive pressure created by the mirors... so that maybe icould actually get air IN my driver window when I open it rather than it sucking air out... and consequently sucking Nasty heat from the engine compartment into the bus... if tried a couple things but havent been succesfult yet.
-Christopher
prof.fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 03:39 PM   #88
Skoolie

seems like a big savings for not much cost..

current link
GreenShields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootalltechie View Post
That's an interesting add on and saves a projected 10% on fuel. Link in the story is old and broken 😣

Old 11-06-2016, 03:43 PM   #89
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof.fate View Post
our buses here don't have a/c - not enough need for the cost of it.

BUT there is a secret - at least on an unmodified school bus - we open the back two windows then control the airflow in the bus with just the drivers slider window.

Amazing how well it works.

So you just need a 'hole' in the back someplace - window roof vent, etc and I bet you'd get the same results.
opening the back windows or the roof hatch does create negative pressure on the bus more than is already there.. which means its gonna suck TONS of heat in from my doghouse.. (exactly what happens).. on a 26 year old bus sealing the doghouse and firewall completely is a tough feat..

my solution is to eliminate the negative pressure caused by the mirrors, not make more negative pressure to overcome that and get air in the driver window..

yes I want air in the driver window but I dont want it at the cost of 250 degree air from the engine on my legs..

I need a positive force on the driver window so when I open it I will get air PLUS will place Positive pressure on the bus interior.. in-turn the dog-house air will not blow on me..
-Christopher
Old 11-06-2016, 04:00 PM   #90
Skoolie

lots of ideas..move the mirrors or change the kind they are.
change the window to one that swings out/pivots like vent windows in old cars - and if you remmeber them you know you can often pivot the mirror past 90d to create a 'scoop' to bring in air.
Add a scoop - lots of ways to probably do it - old ford pickups and other cars of 30,40,.50s had them, like this picture.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:37 PM   #91
Bus Geek

I rememebr as a kid.. one old bus we rode.. dont remember anything about what it was.. possiblty a thomas.. had on a boom like a mirror.. outside the driver window was a secondary 'window' slightly smaller than one of the drivers window sashes.. when the driver opened the front part of the window she could Turn and fold that device to either suck air in or turn backwards as you describe a wing window to blow air on her or on the windshield.. it had a metal frame around the glass so it didnt break or flex.. and it was glass so when folded flat against the driver window (say windows closed) it didnt obstruct the view..

I remember she used it in cool wet weather to help clear the windshield.. that bus had crappy defrosters and the fans didnt do much either..

-Christopher
Old 11-07-2016, 03:53 PM   #92
Skoolie

Been reading the goodyear book / pdf about mileage..a super single instead of dualies can improve mileage 7 to 8% !!
Old 11-07-2016, 04:02 PM   #93
Bus Geek

plkus a super single looks cool!! makes it look like you have Drag tires on your bus!

esp cool for those in gasoline busses that could build massive Chevy big blocks and actually smoke those tires..

smoking tires wont help MPG though.. but definitely helps the FPG

-Christopher
Old 11-07-2016, 08:16 PM   #94
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
Christopher is a man after my own heart, I currently own a 2016 VW tiguan, a 2014 Nissan Leaf, a 2000 BMW 323 CI convertible, and a 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood brougham with 59 k miles, along with my 2000 bus and a 1982 bluebird wanderlodge and 7 motorcycles, 4 of which I am trying to sell, plus this

plus an engine-less indy lights car
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote