Old 04-02-2016, 10:35 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
My search is Over.. I bought a bus today!!.. at BGA..

1991 Carpenter Short bus.. fresh DT360 / allison 545 / air ride suspension / air brakes.

great driving bus! that DT360 had plenty of power.. it took off pretty good!.. means i'll have plenty of power to Air condition it.

I wont [ick it up to drive it home for awhile yet.. . having some body work / paint / lettering / new lights / remove the flashers and signs.. and such...

basically making it ready for my mini-conversion..

Got big plans for 'ShortBus' !

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:45 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Awesome news Christopher. Glad you found something you like.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:35 AM   #33
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Congrats man. Whats the top speed on it?
You in town for the weekend?
Old 04-03-2016, 08:52 AM   #34
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Congrats man. Whats the top speed on it?
You in town for the weekend?
I am in town.. staying in st pete today, then driving to orlando this afternoon so I can do some work at one of my sites tomorrow(likely half day of work).. then not sure if I'll stay up there or stay in the tampa area..

I fly home tuesday.. (my bus wont be ready for a few weeks).

im halfway looking for a second home in florida.. so I have been doing a lot of walking around.. I like the st pete downtown area.. tampa downtown seemed to roll up the sidewalks after business hours..

looking forward to when I get to drive my bus back.. I should have the bus before it gets real hot so i wont roast without A/C.. (not that I use A/C all the time anyway... alot of time in my personal car i run with the windows down)...

-Christopher

P.S. I didnt get my GPS out to measure the speed.. (the tach and speedo are a tad touchy at times.. {as most International gauge clusters are at times} but the "Butt speedo" felt like I was running about 62 to 65... and for me not being a commercial driver that runs 1000s of miles a month, I am not sure id feel comfortable running any faster in a school bus.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:25 AM   #35
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I am in town.. staying in st pete today, then driving to orlando this afternoon so I can do some work at one of my sites tomorrow(likely half day of work).. then not sure if I'll stay up there or stay in the tampa area..

I fly home tuesday.. (my bus wont be ready for a few weeks).

im halfway looking for a second home in florida.. so I have been doing a lot of walking around.. I like the st pete downtown area.. tampa downtown seemed to roll up the sidewalks after business hours..

looking forward to when I get to drive my bus back.. I should have the bus before it gets real hot so i wont roast without A/C.. (not that I use A/C all the time anyway... alot of time in my personal car i run with the windows down)...

-Christopher

P.S. I didnt get my GPS out to measure the speed.. (the tach and speedo are a tad touchy at times.. {as most International gauge clusters are at times} but the "Butt speedo" felt like I was running about 62 to 65... and for me not being a commercial driver that runs 1000s of miles a month, I am not sure id feel comfortable running any faster in a school bus.
I'll PM you my number if you feel like stopping by or meeting up for a beer or something.

dfinitely avoid tampa. St Pete or Sarasota if you can afford em. Sounds like you can!
Old 04-03-2016, 09:50 AM   #36
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Congrats on the new purchase! Hope your new conversion goes more smoothly than your first and you find newer, cooler, fancier things for it!

I grew up in Bradenton, Lakewood Ranch is a nice new place. A lot of my friends from highschool moved out there after college. Lots of things to do, and it's pretty modern.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:06 PM   #37
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
So, are you going to sheetrock the inside of this one?
Robin97396 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:58 PM   #38
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
So, are you going to sheetrock the inside of this one?
this bus is going to stay as close to a bus as i can allow in ohio... which is pretty easily done...

though i am going to install a frig, a micro, and a combination bed / workspace (it will convert).. so i can run it on nice long dirves and have a place to nap and keep my soda pop cold / heat up my left over pizza...

im not planning to remove any windows or build walls, etc.. I will A/C it, likely rearrange some seats (or take a couple out.. it only has seating for 15 total people now).. probably install an air-ride drivers seat(though the bus itself is air-ride), cruise control, and some cool techie stuff.. like GPS, internet connectivity, LED interior lighting....

I'll likely make a custom backlit switch panel for the heaters and such.. or may even build a "glass" panel for that stuff similar to one I did a lot of design and test work on for a car project I did.. (glass cockpit controls on an old bus would be fun)..

some stuff stays completely old school... like no air-door, the manual pull knob for the fuel cut-off, the manual throttle control.. most likely keep the original style IHC dash gauges.. I would Like to find the older style steering wheel.. (the one with the black triangle in the middle... 3 spoke) used on the 80s IHC chassis..

I'll be storing it indoors so it will hold up well..

judging from the fact that theres very little wear on the seats and rubber floors.. driving over bumps the only little rattle it has seems to be the wheelchair lift (which is going away).. I am imagining that the 085,6xx miles listed on the odometer very well might be real! so I want to save that dash and odometer...

if i had wanted to register it as a historical vehicle i couldve even left it all original with yellow color, stop lights and all... and then simply placed large "not in service" signs on all 4 sides when driving it...

however the rules for driving a historical vehicle are a bit of a pain in some other states...

-Christopher