Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2007, 10:06 PM   #121
Bus Nut

that new motor sounds a lot better.

call me next time you do some R&D.... maybe I can come out and we can weld the rear end in my blazer. Then we can take em both out.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:20 PM   #122
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
I'm still waiting for a Dana 30 out of a Jeep to settle in under the front of that Blazer.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:11 AM   #123
Bus Nut

I think the old diesel sounded cooler. Plus, you had the added excitement of wondering when a rod was gonna come flying out.

Hey lap, do ya think jacuzzibus can make it through that mudhole? Just get a good running start and a full tub.
pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:23 AM   #124
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c
I think the old diesel sounded cooler. Plus, you had the added excitement of wondering when a rod was gonna come flying out.

Hey lap, do ya think jacuzzibus can make it through that mudhole? Just get a good running start and a full tub.
it does have teh advantage of very tall tires!
Old 04-12-2007, 03:29 AM   #125
Bus Geek

i busted my steering gearbox. I have a spare, so this time it's not a big deal. Is it the 200K + miles on the gearbox that caused it's failure, or was it the oversized tires with full lockers?

IF i break the new one, i'm thinking about getting rid of the silly steering wheel all together and going to two separate hydraulic valves.
like this one

One on each side of the drivers seat. Also separating the hydraulic systems so each has it's own pump and is unrelated to the other. That should increase the likelyhood at least one end of the truck will be able to steer in case of failure.

maybe i'll mount the steering wheel on the passenger side and not connect it to anything...just for fun.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:34 PM   #126
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
You should just give up and buy this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Swamp...QQcmdZViewItem

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:09 PM   #127
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
The steering box is probably a combination issue. Usually the big tires don't take out the box so much as the frame it is mounted to and in the case of an IFS rig, the idler arm and center link. How do yours look?
Old 04-27-2007, 03:29 PM   #128
Bus Nut

Jason and I are going to a Mud Run on Sat 4-28 and then to the Silver Lake sand dunes on Sunday. I got some bigger tires on my blazer & Jason spent all day yesterday getting his truck ready. I'll take lots of pics.

Here is what my blazer looked like before...

And here it is now, with the rear fenders trimmed about 3 inches to make clearance for 32X11.5 mud tires. After these pictures were taken, I turned the front torsion bars almost all the way up to keep the front tires from rubbing.

I also installed a better snorkel, using a 2.5" hose rather than a 1.5" which was limiting engine power on wide open throttle.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:02 PM   #129
Bus Geek

So you did get those bushings out ok, huh? Or did you just give up on that plan entirely? It's hard to tell how much the back end came up, if at all, with the fenders trimmed. Fender trimming is the ultimate "lift." It costs nothing, doesn't raise the center of gravity one bit, and still makes room for bigger tires.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:35 PM   #130
Bus Nut

Yeah I gave up on getting those bushings out of the rear leaf springs & frame. I cut a good 3" out of the rear wheel wells. The rear tires fit fine with no rubbing at all.

The front fit but were rubbing bad when turning. I trimmed a little in the front lower part of the bumper, and turned the torsion bars almost all the way up. now the front sits a lot higher - I did this last night after those pictures were taken.

I'd like to do an add-a-leaf on the rear or take off the 2 bottom spring and get them re-arched to bring the rear up a little, to match the front. Its really not needed but I don't like the way it sits now.

We left my house to go meet up with Jason and started smelling oil, then noticed a blue cloud behind us so we had to pull over. I found that oil was getting all over the passenger side manifold. Best I can figure it was coming from the dip stick tube. I spent most of the day removing it only to find that it's a dealer only item and I can't get a new one till Monday.

I guess Jason had some issues with his truck today up at the mud bog, he ended up going home rather than continuing on to silver lake.

Damm unreliable junk yard trucks!
Old 05-20-2007, 01:17 AM   #131

Did anyone ever get to say "I Told you SO!" in a really loud voice?

I think someone told him so....

Hope everything works out fer ya.
imadumass is offline   Reply With Quote