Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2007, 05:42 AM   #81
Bus Geek

i was originally using 2 single strands of the smaller #40 chain. I didn't realize how impossible it would be to get equal tension on both chains. I was unable to apply proper tension to both chains at the same time. Apparently chains stretch. Without proper tension, one of the chains were always unhappy. I tried driving around on a single 40 chain, but it kept breaking. In one day of R&D i broke the chain 3 times without even abusing the truck.

I finally got tired of monkeying around with something with such a high failure rate and decided to upgrade. The worse part is that it was far cheaper to buy the #60 chain and sprockets than it was all the pieces of the puzzle for two separate #40 chains. Live and learn.

I got the a/c compressor converted to a air compressor last nite. It can be used to keep the cylinders for the rear suspsension up to pressure as well as filling tires and the like. a/c compressors don't last too long in this application, but they will out perform my 7 hp 220 volt compressor in the shop.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:07 AM   #82

Thanks Anyway

Thats to bad about the girlies... If you get sick of her anytime soon(break up) let me know, because I am definetly interested. I will be happy to take her digits off your hands. What do you think? By the way sweet truck ... kinda of crazy though.
MICHIGANMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:55 AM   #83
Bus Nut

What A/C compressor did you use? I use a york V2 from the late 70's chrysler products, I use synthetic oil in the compressor and controll on/off pressures with an adjustable Square D pressure switch from Graingers, a checkvalve after the compressor and a 10# fire extiguisher bottle complete the system, an adjustable regulator allows for the adjustment of ride stiffness and limiting straps to control ride height.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 01:44 PM   #84
Bus Geek

i'm using the stock a/c compressor for the 1990 k2500 HD 4x4. The problem is that there isn't an oil sump inside, i believe that the compressor is supposed to be lubricated with the oil/freon mixture which it no longer has inside. I think i'm gonna try setting up an auto-oiler on the intake to help keep a lkittle oil inside. Destruction of the compressor is inevitable i believe, but i had all of the parts laying around for the conversion.

For a pressure cutoff switch i used one from an old air compressor. I also installed a 150 psi pressure relief valve.

When that compressor finally gives out, i have a used air brake compressor for a big truck. mounting will be easy, but i have to connect an oil line for lubrication, and coolant lines. It's a pretty fancy setup.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:04 PM   #85
Bus Nut

Are you sure that there is no sump? check the service manual or a good independant a/c shop, I understand that the lubrication is added thru the charge port into the system, but I was under the impression that the oil found it's way to the compressor sump because it was liquid while the refrigerant is gaseous until it is compressed on its way out of the compressor, sure some oil travels in the refrigerant, but if you can keep oil in the sump the compressor should live a long time. O yeah; make sure to filter the compressor intake, I tapped into the engine aircleaner.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:30 PM   #86
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Get the part number off your compressor and use the search function on various 4wd forums like http://www.pirate4x4.com As much as I hate all the cyber wheelers on a lot of those sites, you can often dig up atleast one useful thread. I'm sure someone will have already done the R&D for you. I'm lucky in that Front Range Offroad makes a whole kit to convert the Toyota compressors over including the oiling.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:48 AM   #87
Bus Geek

i have the truck in a heated garage, and hopefully will get her painted this week.

HERE ARE THE LATEST PHOTOS

still need to re-attach the truck "bed" as seen in some earlier photos like the one below

i'd like to get her out to the mounds before they close in the next couple weeks. like most projects, she's overbudget and behind schedule
Old 02-26-2007, 02:19 PM   #88
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Well...it's official. I couldn't readily identify it as being Chevy based on the trail anymore. Not without stopping and inspecting anyway....and if I ever ran into that on the trail I might just have to harass you until you let me take a peak.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:10 PM   #89
Bus Nut

Let me know when you take it to the mounds. I got that Blazer I can bring out there. I cant be too hard on mine though because I'll probably drive it out there and back.... unless I find a trailer to borrow.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:08 PM   #90
Bus Geek

sunday is the best day to go.....and the mounds closes in 2 weeks (march 15th) so it'll have to be soon.

how about march 11?
Old 03-08-2007, 03:13 PM   #91
Bus Geek

definatly going to the mounds this sunday if you want to go phill

here are the latest truck photos....the rear of the truck is squatting in the photos because i didn't have my air suspension hooked up yet....It raisses up another 8 or 10 inches in the rear i think

Old 03-08-2007, 03:18 PM   #92
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Wow that thing really looks nice!
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 06:36 PM   #93
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66
That thing is just too cool! Have fun at the mound and if ya can, take some pics to post!
Old 03-08-2007, 07:42 PM   #94
Bus Nut

Sounds good Jason. I'll bring the blazer but its pritty much stock at this point, but that wont stop me from pounding the crap out of it. I'll bring my camera and take lots of pics.

Email or call me, I need directions, and whatnot.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:55 PM   #95
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillbus914
I'll bring my camera and take lots of pics.
Post some here for us to see!
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:38 PM   #96
Bus Geek

$200 truck and some Super Swampers you had sitting around....now look what trouble that great deal go you in.

I'd still like to see that thing in Gilbert someday.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:16 PM   #97
Bus Geek

all total i went WAY over our budget of $500 building the truck. Not counting anything i had laying around, like the tires and hydraulic cylinders, i spent about $1,500. Still not a bad price though.....Just spent another $1,000 on a trailer to haul the truck with. It's a nice trailer though!
Old 03-11-2007, 08:37 PM   #98
Bus Geek

took her out for her first big trip today! I neglected to notice that there wasn't a memory card in the camera so all those wonderful photo's i took didn't turn out.....perhaps phill got some pic's

She did better than expected....even drove back onto teh trailer at the end of the day under her own power.

met an engine rebuilder guy who wants to donate a fresh chevy 350 motor to the truck project in exchange for advertising on the truck. That's cool with me. The current motor has over 200K miles and the rods are so loose inside that i tell everyone it's the new GM diesel. She's ready to explode at any moment. I've never actually shot rods out through the oil pan before....hopefully i'm not far from the trailer when/if that happens.

next big project....LOCKERS (lincoln lockers)
Old 03-11-2007, 09:51 PM   #99
Bus Nut

I made it out to flint and back today with my Blazer (about 2 hours each way from Grand Rapids)

My truck did pritty good in the mud, I didn't even get it stuck. I really didn't get many good pics, but heres what I did get.

I got some sand in the bead of one of my tires which was loosing air, fast. I had to put the spare on in a nearby parking lot. Other than that I didn't have any problems with my blazer.

I cant believe how well it did out there, for a stock truck. Time for a locker and better tires.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:47 PM   #100
Bus Geek

last nite about 630pm we decided to tear down the rear end and weld the spider gears.

today i just picked up my new chevy 350. The engine rebuilder guy donated it to the project. he is a spectaluarly wonderful person!!! He said it'll make around 300 hp. That's about 200 more than my current engine! For those of you who haven't had the luxury of listening to the current engine, with the rods knocking she sounds like a big diesel!

I've never swapped an engine before, but i think it'll be pretty straight foward. If all goes as planned i'll get the motor in and running before the weekend is over. While the motor is out of the truck i'm gonna weld the spiders in the front too!

Next time i take her out i'll have a new motor, and electric lockers front and rear.