Old 01-14-2007, 06:15 AM   #51
Bus Geek

ya, the rear steering drifts wherever it wants. Makes driving interesting!

the chain and sprocket setup is working good. in 2wd i can shoot rooster tails and pull brodies with no problems. The only issue i have is reverse. Looks like i need to install another pair of idler sprockets to keep the slack out of the chains while in reverse. The truck goes backwards, but the chains "clunk" as the loose non-aligned chain mates with the sprocket.

It's possible that i could take her out next saturday...but a lot of that depends on temperature. Weather lady is talking about highs in the single digits. I don't see much getting accomplished on the truck if it gets that cold.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:05 AM   #52
Bus Geek

i need to start taking photos....

got the new hydraulic valve installed for the rear steer...that works excellent! Still have a difficult time remembering which way to steer. Kind of like a video game, it takes time to get used to the controlls.

Took a half-link out of the chains hoping to make them happier in reverse.

Wasted my time installing another junk power steering pump that didn't work. It's tough to find ps pumps at the junk yard with a v-belt pully.

We spent most of the day working on the roll bar and tube body.

The exhaust (currently we have open headers) is about the last of the major projects we haven't started. I think i'm gonna take her to the local muffler shop and let them take care if it for me. It's likely that we could take her out to the 4x4 park a week from saturday. Duel exhaust would look cool, but i'm too cheap to buy 2 mufflers.

Hopefully it'll get warm enough to paint. It got down in the single digits last nite. That sort of thing has a tendancy to take away ones desire to do much of anything. I think i'm gonna go for old hot rod look.....flat black with red trim.....or more like grave digger...shiny black with bright green trim. not sure.

to be continued.....
Old 01-17-2007, 07:13 PM   #53
Bus Nut

4x4 park where? I'm on the southside of Detroit and need a new place to wheel since Toledo 4 wheelers lost their property to the county park system. Is this a club park or privately owned etc?
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:13 PM   #54
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
I'm still waiting on someone to show up at the Iron Range park. Maybe when it warms up....my truck isn't ready to go anyway. I'm currently toying pretty heavily with the idea of turbocharging. I just really really need to get a good grasp on what I can and can't do with my stock fuel injection. While a standalone kit like the SDS would be cool, I don't have the $1500 LC Engineering wants for the kit and I don't have the patience to set up a Megasquirt.

Get all the kinks ironed out of that truck, get it below 100dB at 3000 RPM, and get it loaded on a trailer to come out this way this summer!
Old 01-18-2007, 01:03 AM   #55
Bus Geek

the mounds is a genesee county park near flint. It's only 10 bucks per vehicle to go wheeling. They're closed from may 15 to march 15, but open the rest of the year. I think it's either 200 or 400 acres. There is something for everyone from quads, dirt bikes, stock jeeps, to trucks with 60 inch tractor tires. If you go on the weekend it's easy to get unsuck or get someone to tow you out if need be. During the week there aren't too many vehicles around.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:47 AM   #56
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapeer20m
They're closed from may 15 to march 15
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:16 PM   #57
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66
Ya gotta get as much fun done in April as ya can!
Old 01-19-2007, 06:48 PM   #58
Bus Geek

closed from march 15 to may 15 lol
Old 01-20-2007, 01:15 PM   #59
Bus Geek

here's the latest pic's.....You really need a good sense of vision when you look at the pic's to see the vehicles potential. She's come a long way, but still has a long ways to go....

The rollcage is pretty much finished, the front fenders were removed and the new front end is boxed in, but still needs the sheet metal, battery holder, ect. I'm half tempted to purchase an optima battery just so i can mount it upside down...but i don't know if i'll spend the $$ or not

here's a shot of one of the rear fenders. They're strong enough you can walk on them. Also added an alluminum tool box that got donated to the project

I really want to finish the body work so we can get her painted. She'll look 1,000 times better with paint.....now to decide what colors...

I'm thinking a bit of a grave digger look...black with bright green flames/trim

the guy helping me with the project...this is a co-project...wants to paint it battleship grey with a white star on the hood....The primer grey would help to hide lots of imperfections, but i think it's too boring..

as you can see from the photos....winter finally arrived here in michigan.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:23 PM   #60
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Word of warning on the Optima...you can m ount them upside down and you can use them upside down, but you cannot charge them upside down. A total loss electrical system is not exactly ideal for any vehicle short of a race car or light aircraft. Personally, I don't think the Optima is ideal for that truck (and I sell Optimas) given its proposed usage. I'd just get a medium sized Group 78 and put a Battery Tender Junior on it unless you plan on driving the truck a lot. An Optima won't self discharge as fast as a flooded lead acid battery, but a flooded battery with a Battery Tender on it won't discharge at all and we all know that the biggest killers of lead acid batteries of any type is heat, vibration, and resting in a discharged state.

Is that a little oil smoke I see coming out of the engine compartment? What did you end up doing for the exhuast? How about that hose hanging under it in the back view? What the heck is that?

I like the sheetmetal work. It gives it that truggy kind of look. It's still recognizable as a Chevy truck, but certainly not the one you'd find on a lot .