Old 01-26-2007, 01:07 AM   #71
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Airbags seem like they would be a b!tch to install on that particular rig. You'd need a compressor too....not that onboard air is a BAD thing.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:56 AM   #72
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
Airbags seem like they would be a b!tch to install on that particular rig. You'd need a compressor too....not that onboard air is a BAD thing.
I think i could get air bags to fit...especially a single convoluted bag. I only need about 4" of travel. I think I could fabricate a mount right where the bump stop is.....

as far as air. I'm sure one of those el cheapo 12 volt plug into cigarette lighter compressors would work just fine. The pressure and volume inside the airbag isn't that much. Another good option is converting my ac compressor to an air compressor. All that takes is a pressure switch and some air fittings...and a way to oil the compressor....and an air filter..ect.

But all of that is a moot point as i have now installed a pair of hydraulic cylinders

these will lift the truck with about 150 psi of air pressure. That cheap wal-mart plug in the cigarette lighter air compressor i have says it's rated to 250 psi.

Here's my fancy switchboard i've been working on.

did a little "reasearch and development", here's the evidence:

here is a shot of the air shocks before i removed them. I don't have any good shots of the new hydro (pnumo) cylinders in place

Old 01-27-2007, 08:49 PM   #73
Bus Geek

did i mention this truck has no friggen articulation???? lol

I NEED LOCKERS

doesn't take much to get one front and one rear tire off the ground. Lincoln lockers will do....just need more time.

she sure is good at pullin brodies though!

i need to sit down and figure out how to convert video's from my camera into .mpg format so i can upload them to youtube or something. I did a video of my bus doin brodies a long time ago
Old 01-27-2007, 09:47 PM   #74
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Lack of articulation....the downfall of the independent suspension system. Did you just put a little bit of hydro oil in those cylinders before hooking the air up to keep the seals wet or what? I'm interested in seeing this setup. Better make sure your bumpstops are in good shape....those cylinders look plenty long enough to over-cycle the suspension and pop a cv-joint.

How did you end up actuating that rear disconnect? Are you just running a hot lead off the battery for it or what?

As for converting the files off your camera....what format do they come out in if it isn't an mpeg, quicktime video, avi, or 2gp format? There are a bunch of free converters out there. I'm also a huge fan of Nero.... I want to see some videos, darnit!
Old 01-28-2007, 06:15 AM   #75
Bus Geek

the electric actuator for the rear doesn't work. It's different than the one in the front. The rear is a 98 while the front is a 90. The 90 appears to get hot which makes it longer over a period of about 20-30 seconds. The one that doesn't work for the 98 has a little electric rc car sized motor in it. I assume it lockes in immediately... or would if that actuator actually worked. I tore it apart, manually turned the shaft which enlongated the actuator, then screwed it back into the hole where it lives. IF i wanted to "unlock" the hubs i'd have to unscrew the device, turn the shaft by hand to shorten the actuator, then re-install it. When i finally get around to adding my lincoln lockers i'll spend the $120 and buy a new actuator, then it'll be connected to a switch on the dash.

yes, i put some oil into both ends of the cylinders and opened/closed them multiple times before i put them on the truck. The bump stops won't bend if the suspension is over-extended but the upper control arms might! They are about 5 times longer than necessary, but they're something i have on hand. I hate spending $$$ on the junk yard truck. I'm already over my $1,000 budget
Old 01-29-2007, 01:34 AM   #76
Bus Geek

Look into that Posi-Lok cable. It may or may not be cheaper than the actuator from GM. I certainly like the idea of a cable over something electric....call me old fashioned.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:25 PM   #77

Hotties

Those chicks are hot! Is the tall one single? A woman that will work on a truck is a woman after my own heart.
MICHIGANMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:17 AM   #78
Bus Geek

both of those girlies are very nice to look at.....the tall one is my g/f, the otehr one belongs to the guy helping me with the truck.

the posi-lock cable does sound pretty attractive if i weld my spiders....
Old 02-02-2007, 08:42 PM   #79
Bus Geek

here's a shot of the small old chain verses the new large chain

in this photo, the small sprocket on the right is the old one, you can see the new sprocket is much much bigger

The chain and sprocket are no longer the weak link in the system!

I drove her around for a half hour or so tonight. Mechanically she is pretty much ready to go wheelin'. I wish it wasn't so cold, i really want to get her painted.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:28 PM   #80
Bus Geek

I can't lie...that is a goofy looking set up between the chain, sprockets, hydraulic cylinder, etc. It certainly would get my attention one the trail. Did you break something with the chain setup or were you just upgrading for some piece of mind?