Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2016, 10:37 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Mystery coolant leak

2000 BB TC1000, 5.9C.

I have solved the mystery but just for fun let's see what you guys say.

Returned from a short trip with a large elev. gain, and upon shutting off and debusing, I see a puddle on the ground.
The puddle is small and I look up to see drops running down the side of the radiator.
I touch the coolant and it's only warm yet the engine is at full op. temp of 190f.
It's never puked any coolant ever and it never has overheated OR used any coolant including now. Of course with 25 or so gallons, a small leak would not create a low level for a while.
The leak subsides as the system cools.
Estimated loss=1 cup, (very little).

As I said I have solved the mystery, any ideas?

Old 03-31-2016, 10:46 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
well the boiling point of the coolant is lower in higher altitudes correct and you are suppose to create a mixture of coolant and water as you climb. So that coupled with rapid expansion of the non diluted fluid let some coolant drip out? This is a 100% guess XD
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:19 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
I'd guess expansion cracks in the housing. But in our buses the sides are metal, cars on the other hand are now plastic. Could it be overflow from the cap?
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:51 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Cap overflow was one of my first thoughts. The leak is not coming from the overflow hose but I did find some cracks in the rad. neck end, trimmed it last trip, no sign of leakage.
As I was solving this the key info. to me was warm coolant and the coolant running down the side of the rad. All connections are tight and no hoses near the leak point made me think that the rad. is leaking. BUT the coolant is NOT hot!
Old 04-01-2016, 09:03 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

So I walked into the house and flopped into my thinking device (recliner) and came up with.....

I keep a spare gallon of coolant inside the left side access door right next to the......Radiator...The plastic bottle is full and capped.

Large light bulb illuminates !!

I go out to the bus and open the access door, pull out the slightly deformed bottle and give it a squeeze. Mystery solved.

No leak while on the road normally but when I pull the I17 grade then shut the engine off the rise in temp after shutdown expanded the coolant in the now softened bottle creates a nice mystery dribble.

HA! Would have been very upset if I had pulled the radiator and had it serviced etc.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:41 AM   #6

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kool4skool View Post
So I walked into the house and flopped into my thinking device (recliner) and came up with.....

I keep a spare gallon of coolant inside the left side access door right next to the......Radiator...The plastic bottle is full and capped.

I go out to the bus and open the access door, pull out the slightly deformed bottle and give it a squeeze. Mystery solved.

No leak while on the road normally but when I pull the I17 grade then shut the engine off the rise in temp after shutdown expanded the coolant in the now softened bottle creates a nice mystery dribble.

HA! Would have been very upset if I had pulled the radiator and had it serviced etc.

Spare coolant bottle was going to be my guess but you didn't give me a chance to answer.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:35 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kool4skool View Post

And yeah. That 17 climb just before Sunflower is a beast. When I have my s10 going up it I have, hazards flashing, in 3rd gear, and 40 mph on the speedo! But boy does that little truck fly down the other side!!!!

Glad it was the bottle, bub!
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:29 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

OK, another mystery. Pulled into our campsite and shut down the engine. Hmmm, what's that sound? never heard it before.

I did solve this one also after a bit of poking around the dash/heater area where the sound was coming from. The vid did get cut off a bit short but you can hear sound get louder at the end, nearer the origin.

Engine fully warm, light steady wind, 75 degrees.

Rhythmic, steady and kept going for hours.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:16 AM   #9

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Which noise? The pounding or the radio?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote