Old 12-30-2015, 04:35 PM   #11
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Oh wow.
My first bus was a free Thomas with a gas Ford in it. There's a free International gas bus about 25 miles down the road.
Interesting to see the prices around the country.

Anyhow, I'm not here to bash on gas engines, just saying they are cheap/free around here much of the time.
And where is that? Free always sounds appetizing.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:21 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Central Fl.
otown area.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:28 PM   #13
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Central Fl.
otown area.
Ah, gotcha. I remember your first posts a long time back said you moved out of the city there in Florida.

My wife is pretty hooked on this bus. We're going to go look at it again. Spent the day on the phone with Insurance, DPS, and our title company. She's convinced on making this one a partial conversion at least. SO far we are now looking at removing enough seats to make it "RV" classifiable, and then starting from the rear with light "home making" modifications. This make replace our Travel Trailer as the "camping" rig, or "staying at the in-laws" rig.

I'm going to scan the forum about bus to rv process in Texas. I'll pick up where I left off tomorrow with phone calls. This sounds like the easiest way to go.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:33 PM   #14
Site Team

You have been given some sound advice. Accept it or don't. I have been in the transportation business for over 30 years. I pay over $9000 for insurance per year for 2 Town Cars. That is for only $750k in liability. A few more seats and I need $1.5 million in liability. Keep going and it climbs. All my limos and vans are gone, as well as most sedans.

As far as gas being $1.50 a gallon. Better buy as much as you can and store it in your garage cuz it ain't stay'n there.

If you think you can make a go of it and know better than others, go for it. The requirements are the requirements. You can't get around that. That's one of the reasons that I got rid of the larger vehicles. And if things go as planned, the rest of my business will be shut down this year. No more employees, workmans comp, payroll taxes, airport fees, PUC, etc.

P.S. You couldn't pay me to take a big bus with a gas engine. I have a 366 in a truck.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 05:26 PM   #15
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
You have been given some sound advice. Accept it or don't. I have been in the transportation business for over 30 years. I pay over $9000 for insurance per year for 2 Town Cars. That is for only $750k in liability. A few more seats and I need $1.5 million in liability. Keep going and it climbs. All my limos and vans are gone, as well as most sedans.

As far as gas being $1.50 a gallon. Better buy as much as you can and store it in your garage cuz it ain't stay'n there.

If you think you can make a go of it and know better than others, go for it. The requirements are the requirements. You can't get around that. That's one of the reasons that I got rid of the larger vehicles. And if things go as planned, the rest of my business will be shut down this year. No more employees, workmans comp, payroll taxes, airport fees, PUC, etc.

P.S. You couldn't pay me to take a big bus with a gas engine. I have a 366 in a truck.
I hear you.

Also, gas is "UP" right now. We were easing onto $1.00 a gallon down here, but we never made it below $1.10 where I am at. I like cheap fuel, much better then the $4.00 a gallon we were looking at a few years ago.